Information for Enrolled Students

Thinking of declaring the major?

Program Options: majors and minors

Declaration requirements and procedures 

Declaring a minor

How to apply for graduation

Considering graduate school?

Need help?

Thinking of Declaring the Major?

Need help deciding if sociology or archaeological studies is the major you want to declare? You're invited to meet with the department chair Kim Vogt or any other faculty advisor at any time to ask questions and explore various options.  Office hours for every faculty member are posted on their office doors.  If you're thinking of declaring the major, we encourage you to do so as soon as possible in order to establish a plan of study and be eligible to take courses restricted only to majors.

Back to the Top

Program Options: Majors and Minors

The department has programs leading to the B.A. and B.S. in sociology and archaeology and minors in sociology, anthropology, and criminal justice. 

For more detailed information about each program, see the program summary for each: archaeology, anthropology, criminal justice, and sociology. If you have any additional questions, or if you need help deciding if an archaeological studies or sociology degree is right for you, stop by and see the department chair Kim Vogt or talk to one of the faculty members. Office hours are posted right outside each faculty member's office door.

Declaration Requirements and Procedures

Archaeological Studies Pre-majors: To register as a pre-major in Archaeological Studies, you must first declare your intention by filling out a form at the College of Liberal Studies office.  If the available slots for the pre-major/major are filled, priority is assigned on the date you submitted the form, so the sooner you declare the major the better. 

Prior to the application for the major, the following archaeology courses must be completed with a minimum GPA of 3.00: ARC 195, ARC 200, and two additional 200- or 300-level archaeology courses.  These courses will apply toward the major after acceptance into the program.  Additionally, students must have completed at least 32 total credits with a minimum GPA of 2.50 for all university work and then complete the Archaeological Studies Major application form in order to become an Archaeological Studies Major.  Admittance to the program may be limited and competitive.  Prior to satisfying the requirements, students pursuing the Archaeological Studies Major will be designated as Pre-ARC majors. 

Sociology Majors: In order to declare a sociology major, you must complete a major declaration form in the College of Liberal Studies Office.  Students declaring sociology as a major should take SOC 110 as soon as possible, since it is a pre-requisite for most of the other sociology major requirements. Once you have declared, you will also be able to register for some classes that are restricted to majors/minors only.

Back to the Top

Information for Minors

Three different minors are available in the department: Sociology, Anthropology and Criminal Justice. To declare any one of these minors, go to the College of Liberal Studies Office and ask to complete a "change of minor" form.

Applying for Graduation

When to apply for graduation

Plan to apply for graduation at least one semester prior to your semester. For example, if you're graduating in the Spring, you'll need to apply for graduation during the Fall.

How to apply for graduation

Make an appointment with an advisor in the College of Liberal Studies to do a credit check.  Plan to do this well in advance of registration. Plan to bring a copy of your SNAP so your coursework can be evaluated (unofficial is fine, off the web).  The final step will be to turn in your intent to graduate form. These forms are available in the College of Liberal Studies.

Considering Graduate School?

For more information, see:

Graduate Training in Sociology

Graduate School in Archaeology

Need Help?

If you have any additional questions, contact the department chair or your faculty advisor.

Back to the Top