Resources for Social Justice Activism and Advocacy, including Campus Orgs
UW-L Violence Prevention Services: Ingrid Peterson, 608-785-5126, email@example.com, 306 Wimberly Hall
Videos, UW-L Student Orgs, Local Activism and Advocacy, Meta-Sites (sites with big lists of websites on lots of issues), Leadership Training, Feminist and Identity Groups, Violence and Sexual Assault, Challenging the Media, Poverty and Workplace, Peace, Boycotts, Funding Sources Send Deb your suggestions: Email Deb Hoskins
Previous "Deb's Pick of the Month" feminist, activist videos from the Internet:
- Jay Smooth (runs the longest-running hip-hop radio show in the U.S., from NYC) on the Hyde Amendment's role in Health Care Reform, on behalf of the Center for Reproductive Rights. He invites you to make and submit your own video in support!
- White Privilege -- an animated video based on Peggy MacIntosh's 1988 article!
- "A hope more powerful than hate" -- Obama addresses the Human Rights Campaign's National Dinner. It takes more than a president!
- How to tell someone they sound racist! An excellent how-to that works for sexism, homophobia, and other stuff too!
- Ireland's "unbelievably good" equal-marriage ad here.
- Activist Video of the Month: Taylor Mali explains "what we make as teachers," just in case anyone is confused!
- Violence against women of the Congo continues unabated for 10 years! Where is the international outcry? A panel discussion sponsored by Women's eNews.
- How do we respond to this?! Where will women be in that response?! Activist Video of the Month?!
- "In My Name" An anti-poverty music video by will.i.am
- "This Brave Nation: Legendary Activists" Bonnie Raitt and Dolores Huerta talk about racism, classism, feminism, environment -- and reminisce. From The Nation magaine.
- "Interracial Relationships" University of North Carolina project
- "Interracial Marriage" A commercial in celebration of Loving v Virginia (1967)
- "Kids and Race" Penn State examines how kids learn about race
- "Looking at Gender and Race in Politics" ABC interviews some experts
- "Campaign Word Wars" Penn State's Shannon Sullivan discusses particular incidents
- "Race and Sexuality" Christina Accomando discusses the intersections
- Kiri Davis: "A Girl Like Me" Race + Gender and the Doll Study
- Alice Walker: "Not with a Bang, but a Whimper" Peace. And the consequences of war
- Guerilla Girls at the Feminist Future Forum History of how the Guerilla Girls deconstructed the art world and used that intellectual exercise to produce totally cool activism
Student Orgs at UW-L:
WSSA (Women's Studies Student Association): see their Facebook site here. Email inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Students for Choice (S4C): see their Facebook site here.
Other Student Orgs: click here for additional possibilities! UW-L has MANY great student orgs!
Local Activism and Advocacy
- American Association of University Women (AAUW): our local branch is very active! Check them out here: http://aauwlacrosse.org/default.aspx
- The League of Women Voters is also very active locally! Check them out here: http://lwvlacrosse.org/
- 7 Rivers Region LGBT Resource Center. See http://www.7riverslgbt.org/ for more information.
- GALAXY (LaX's LGBT youth org). See http://www.ywca.org/site/pp.asp?c=jhLQK0PGLoF&b=1452211 for more information.
- New Horizons (battered Women's shelter in La Crosse). Volunteering here requires training. See your instructor or call (608) 791-2600.Salvation Army. Serves meals, among other things. 223 8th St N. Call (608) 782-6126 to volunteer.
- Our Savior's Lutheran Church. Serves meals, runs a clothes closet for women (started by one of our minors!). 612 Division St. (608) 782-3468. See http://www.oursaviorslutheranchurch.net/serve/#ComeForSupper for more info.
- Place of Grace Catholic Worker's House, 919 Hood St. (608) 782-6224. Serves meals, kids' activities.
- WAFER Food Pantry, 782.6003. Sort, weigh food, stock shelves, wait on customers. Sometimes building maintenance.
Meta-Sources (Lists of Websites):
- Activist Websites (UMBC) An alphabetical list, includes many topics and many feminists of color sites.
- Feminist.com's activism site
- Feminist Majority Foundation online
- Lambda Legal All kinds of info (and help!) here
- NOW's Take Action website
- Out and Equal Workplace Advocates Information and help for LGBT-friendly workplaces
- Stanford University's Feminist Studies Metasite: Tons of Stuff!
- Women Online Worldwide
Through its Future Leader Award Program, Mount Mary College
Women’s Leadership Institute is offering students an incredible
opportunity to meet outstanding leaders, listen to inspiring
speakers, and learn public leadership skills through an
innovative curriculum. June 4 - 10, 2008 at Mount Mary
College in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. For cost, application deadline and registration process, please visit:
or to learn more about the program, view a video at
If you have questions, send an email to
Women/Feminists and Other Group Identities:
- Asian Women's Resource Exchange
- Disabled Peoples International: search the site for "women."
- Ma'yan: Jewish Women's Project
- Women of Color Metasite from UW System's Women's Studies Librarian's office -- US racial groups and international, many many sites.
- Women of Color Metasite from Stanford University
- Violence Against Women (Dept. of Justice)
- Rape, abuse & incest national network
- Aware (self-defense for women)
- The Safety Zone Resources on Domestic Violence
- 9to5, National Association of Working Women
- Momrising.org Stop workplace discrimination
- WW=P Wisconsin Women = Prosperity: Lifting Wisconsin by Raising the Grade for Wisconsin's Women
- Work/Life Study -- Retention of Professional Women by Jodi Vandenberg-Daves and Betsy Morgan
- NonViolent Peaceforce A non-violent, direct-action think-tank service for an inclusive, conflict resolving, community building, sustainable development.
- Baby Milk Action: International issue, baby formulas used with unsafe water supplies.
- Co-op America Boycotts: Boycott Action News from Co-op America maintains a nice list of many current progressive boycotts. Includes alerts and contact information for taking action. Just so's you know, Co-op America is not itself a co-operative.
- The Boycott News, individually produced by a 5th grade teacher in California, includes pro and con arguments.