University of Wisconsin-La Crosse |

Educational Studies
Expand menu

  • General advising

    Loading content

    The UW-L Advising Circle provides links to University-wide advising requirements and resources.  These requirements and resources may not necessarily meet teacher education program specific requirements and resources.  Please see your academic faculty advisor for questions regarding your teacher education requirements and helpful resources specific to your teacher education degree.

    Teacher Education Program Highlights & FAQ:

    • Major requirements
    • Minor requirements
      • Students Earning Elementary-Middle Level certification must declare a certifiable minor.
      • Students earning Early Childhood-Elementary and Early Childhood-Adolescence certification are NOT required to declare a minor course of study.
    • 4-Year plan
      • Course sequence plans are specific to each teacher education candidate.  See your academic advisor to create your individualized plan to graduation.


    How do I declare a major?

    Students interested in completing a major in early childhood-elementary-middle level education, art education, music education, or modern language (Spanish, French, German, etc.) education may declare that major or related minor by completing a "Change of Major/minor" form in 270 Morris Hall.  This same is used any time when students want to either declare or change a major or minor course of study. 

     Because the Department of Educational Studies assigns faculty advisors based on a student's chosen major and minor, completing the "Change of Major/minor" form may also initiate a change in academic advisor assignment.  Students are not allowed to change their major or minor during course registration times.


    How do I find who my advisor is?

    Faculty advisor assignments can be found on WINGS.  When logging into WINGS look at the Student Center home page, lower right-hand corner.  Students with a content major (art, music, or modern language) may have more than one faculty advisor assigned. 

    Requests for faculty advisor changes must be made through the Chair of the Department of Educational Studies in 335 Morris Hall.


    How often will I meet with my advisor?

     Students MUST meet with their academic advisor at least one time each semester.  The Department of Educational Studies automatically places a registration restriction on all students prior to the registration window for each semester.  Once a student meets with their academic advisor, the assigned academic advisor can release the registration restriction.


    What do we do when meeting with my advisor?

    When meeting with your academic advisor, discussion will mainly center on your academic progress and specific courses needed in the near and future semesters.  Each student should complete a career-long planner that maps out an ideal schedule of classes from the first meeting with your advisor through graduation.  This planner should contain required courses in an ideal sequence and program assessment requirements (testing requirementsBasic Skills Testing, Praxis II, and Foundations of Reading Test (FoRT) as well as portfolio (Pre-student Teaching and Post-Student Teaching--edTPA) portfolio requirements.

     Advising meetings are also times when students can talk with their faculty advisor about other issues or situations.  Faculty advisors are great sources of information and can point students in the direction of needed resources to assist them in coping with situations that arise while at UW-L.


    How can I prepare for my advising meeting?

    Students are highly encouraged to create an advising folder.  This folder contains all official paperwork for UW-L, including a copy of a current (unofficial) transcript, advising sheet with courses checked-off, and current planner.  Keep a running list of questions for your advisor as you progress through each semester.

    Students can prepare for advising meetings by reviewing their course planner and print/bring a copy to the meeting.  It is helpful also to have any questions written down to be sure the information is discussed and questions answered.


    What if I'm struggling academically or personnally?

    Students are highly encouraged to contact their faculty advisor or trusted faculty member as soon as you feel there is or potentially could be a problem academically or personally. 

    Faculty will either work with you directly or refer you to another profession who is better trained or equipped to work with your situation.  It is important that students keep in touch with their faculty advisor or trusted faculty member regularly so that situations can be handled early (when they are smaller issues) than after situations have become overwhelming.  Remember no issue is too small to ask or talk about!


    What if I'd like more of a challenge or a new experience?

    Talk with your academic faculty advisor about your interest in undergraduate research or exploring related careers.


    How do I apply for graduation?

    Graduation is applied for electronically through your WINGS account.  Students are recommended to apply for graduation one year prior to your expected semester of graduation.  For teacher education students, this is the same semester when you submit your student teaching application.