For many years UW-L custodial service operations have worked on improving operational processes to enhance the healthfulness of our learning, working and natural environments. Custodial operations are committed to environmental stewardship and sustainability. This commitment is implemented through a Green Cleaning Program that affects our choice of cleaning solutions, practices, and equipment, our goals for personnel training, and custodial personnel commitment to practice environmentally conscious cleaning and sanitation procedures.
The custodial service functions at UW-L have developed a operational policy that focuses on reducing exposure of building occupants and custodial personnel to potentially hazardous chemical contaminants that adversely impact air quality or impede occupants’ well-being. In short, we want to control the health-negative components within the indoor as well as the outdoor environment.
Custodial service functions at UW-L have established many green cleaning strategies to help emphasize environmentally safe, low-impact cleaning maintenance UW-L custodial service operations seek to improve its operations whenever and wherever possible by:
- Educating, training and motivating custodial staff to work in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Reviewing with and coaching all custodial personnel about their responsibility to maintain and practice our environmental policies.
- Consistently working to make the most efficient use of energy, water, and human resources while at the same time providing a safe, clean, and sanitary environment for the students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- Maintain compliance with all current, relevant legislation and industry standards.
- Use cleaning products that meet the Green Seal standard GS-37 and/or products with low-volatile organic compounds whenever possible and applicable.
- Use products that meet EPA standards of high, post-consumer recycled content.
- Use equipment with the most cost effective, efficient filtration.
- Use concentrated cleaning products whenever available.
- Use chemicals in conjunction with chemical systems which provide dilution automatically and accurately using cold water.
- Use of products that are packaged with recyclable materials.
- Prohibiting the use of phosphate and aerosol products.
UW-L’s written Green Cleaning Program for Centennial and
Eagle Halls are available through the following links: