Working and Educating For a Sustainable World
UW-L Sustainability News
**NEW** Green Fund Mini Grant Application for Students
UW-L students can download and complete a Green Fund Mini Grant application (MS Word docx. file) anytime during the spring and fall semesters. The funding limit for a mini grant is $2000. Contact Ian Wright, Green Fund coordinator with any questions: email@example.com.
UW-L has combined reduce, reuse and recycle with re-buy and rethink to form UW-L’s R-5 Program.
Becoming a Sustainable Campus
Living a sustainable lifestyle, running a sustainable business or organization and maintaining sustainable communities are no longer options in our world. They are now requirements. UW-L's Joint Committee on Environmental Sustainability (JCES) is passionate about improving the state of sustainability at our University. Help us by becoming involved in our efforts. Learn more about sustainability by looking at the resources on this website. Begin a conversation with your family, friends and co-workers about sustainability and what you can do to reduce the impact we have on our world. Be part of the process and the solutions.
Things You Can Do to Make a Difference
- Purchase only what you really need. Purchase items, when possible, that include recycled materials.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Re-purchase and Rethink.
- Conserve water. Avoid purchasing bottled water.
- Eat locally/regionally grown foods in season.
- Walk, bike, carpool and use mass transit whenever possible.
- Turn off lights when leaving a room for more than five minutes.
- Configure your work computer to automatically “sleep” or "hibernate.”
- Turn off all unused electrical equipment when not in use.
- Buy equipment with an Energy Star label whenever possible.
- Unplug chargers when they’re not charging, i.e. cell phones, digital cameras, cordless tools, etc.
Send us your questions, comments and feedback.
Please let us know if you have questions, comments or suggestions about our website, the Joint Committee on Environmental Sustainability or sustainability efforts at UW-L by completing our online form. Also, if you are aware of or are involved with a sustainability effort on campus, please let us know about it. We'd love to highlight it on our website.
Just a few of the ways students, faculty and staff can become involved in UW-L’s sustainability efforts:
- Joint Committee on Environmental Sustainability: A very active committee made up of faculty, staff and students leading the implementation of the Talloires Declaration for institutional sustainability signed by Chancellor Joe Gow — Contact: Steve Tippins — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Environmental Council: Longstanding student organization with faculty and staff involvement encouraged. Meeting time is 7pm Mondays during the fall and spring semesters, in 1200 Centennial. Contact: email@example.com
- Green Transportation Council: Made up of faculty, staff and students advancing access for walkers, bicyclists, users of mass transit and car sharing in the campus area and beyond — Contact: Dr. Rob Tyser — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Association: Your student government — Contact: David Wermedal, Student Association Vice President — email@example.com
Next JCES Meeting
- Friday, April 25
114 Carl Wimberly Hall