Top Ten Things You Need to Know Before You Travel

  1. Airline reservations for University sponsored travel are required to be made with Fox World Travel, either within Concur, the online self-booking tool, or with a Fox World Travel agent.  Use of online brokers or search sites such as Expedia, Travelocity, Kayak, etc. are prohibited and will not be reimbursed by the University. 
    1. Travelers are strongly encouraged to register for Trip-Alert! by ALTITUDE, an automated flight disruption notification service for email or text message of any  flight delays, cancellations and more - Register Here
    2. Click here to opt out of this service.
  2. All non-conference site lodging reservations, including local, are to be made through Concur.  Use of online brokers or search sites such as, Airbnb, etc. are prohibited and will not be reimbursed by the University. 
    1. Prior to reserving conference site lodging, search Concur for the conference site hotel to determine if there is a lower rate available. If so, make your reservation within Concur. 
    2. Concur displays available room types and rates directly from hotel suppliers.  Room types and rates available are not specific to UW System and may be above what UW policy allows. Travelers must adhere to the location rate maximums and only reserve single/standard rooms.
    3. To find the location rate maximums use the Lodging/Meal and Incidental Calculator
    4. Please consult the UW System Hotel Directory for a complete list of contracted properties by location.     
  3. Please keep in mind the following tips regarding Meals and Incidentals:
    1. Receipts are not required for Meals and Incidentals Expenses.
    2. If the trip does not include an overnight stay, the traveler is limited to a $15 tax reportable day trip meal allowance.  If any meal is provided during the day trip, no reimbursement can be claimed.
  4. Hosted Meals must stay within meal maximums (breakfast $12, lunch $18, dinner $30 for in-state meals), require itemized receipts, and an approved Food Expense Approval Form.
  5. Rental vehicles are required to be reserved through Enterprise or National using the UWSA contract. Local reservations can be made directly with Enterprise (La Crosse Downtown 608-785-7400 prompt 4 or La Crosse Airport 608-781-5094) or National (La Crosse Airport 608-781-5678).  However, out-of-state rentals must be made through Concur.  When Enterprise or National do not serve the location of travel or if vehicles are not available, Hertz may be used under the State of Wisconsin (WSCA) contract.
    1. Eligible renters are classified as all University authorized drivers age 18 and over. Authorized drivers 18-20 are restricted to domestic rentals only. Rentals are limited to compact/standard/intermediate vehicle classes unless there are business needs that require larger classes of vehicles. Claims for reimbursement beyond standard/intermediate vehicle classes (i.e. trucks, vans, etc.) for reasons such as transporting extra passengers, carrying cargo or bulky equipment, etc., must be explained on the expense report.
    2. Any person (employee, student, volunteer) who will be driving a vehicle (personally owned or rented) on University business must be authorized to drive. To become an authorized driver, review the Driver Authorization Policy and complete a Vehicle Use Agreement (VUA). Employees and students must complete an electronic VUA by logging into the Wisconsin Department of Administration VUA Sign-up Portal. Volunteers must complete a paper VUA and submit it to Business Services. Drivers with out‐of‐state driver licenses must attach the Notarized Statement of Driving Record form to their VUA.
    3. Drivers are responsible for refueling vehicles prior to return with same level of fuel that they received at time of rental.  The University will not reimburse vendor refueling or prepay fuel packages. Receipts are required for reimbursement of fuel purchased.
    4. Enterprise, National, and Hertz for domestic rentals include Collision (CWD) and Liability (LDW) in their contract rates. Extra types of insurance are not reimbursable.
  6. When driving your personal vehicle for University sponsored business, you will be reimbursed for mileage. MapQuest or Google Maps are the official tools for determining the most direct route. The following rates apply:
    1. Less than 100 miles roundtrip - Standard Rate
      1. On/after 1/1/19: $0.58 per mile
      2. Prior to 1/1/19: $0.545 per mile
    2. More than 100 miles roundtrip - Turndown Rate
      1. On/after 1/1/19: $0.375 per mile
      2. Prior to 1/1/19: $0.352 per mile
    3. Any Non-Employee - Standard Rate
      1. On/after 1/1/19: $0.58 per mile
      2. Prior to 1/1/19: $0.545 per mile
  7. All purchases over $25 must be substantiated with an itemized receipt.   
  8. University purchases are generally exempt from Wisconsin Sales and Use Tax.  Travelers are expected to request and receive Wisconsin sales tax exemption for travel related purchases.  The University also has sales tax exemption in other states.  Travelers should make a reasonable attempt to obtain sales tax exemption according to the tax authority's requirements.
  9. Travelers who requested a cash advance must return any unused cash upon returning to campus after their trip and must complete an e-Reimbursement within 30 days after the trip completion date.
  10. All travel related expenses for a trip must be submitted on one e-Reimbursement within 90 days after the trip completion date or will not be reimbursed by the University.

At the following link, you will find:

  • User guides
  • Self booking tutorials and videos
  • e-Reimbursement how-to guides

Faculty & Staff

University employees, while on business travel, are expected to exercise good judgment when incurring travel costs.  An employee may be reimbursed for reasonable and necessary travel expenses actually incurred in the performance and conduct of UW business.  An employee shall not seek reimbursement for goods or services provided free of charge, not personally incurred, reimbursed by another source, or which will be paid or reimbursed from another source.  Faculty and staff traveling together pay their own way and complete their own Expense Report (ER).

For UW travel policies, best business practices and process standards, please refer to UW TravelWIse.



  • Meals and incidentals are reimbursed based on per deim allowances.  Per diems are calculated based upon location, first/last day of travel, and provided meals adjustments.
  • For trip planning and rate determination, M&IE rates can be determined using the Lodging/Meal & Incidental Calculator available in the UW TravelWIse portal
  • If an employee is buying a meal for someone else, the UW Sponsored Event policy and Hosted Meal Rates apply. The following must be included:
    • An itemized receipt
    • A roster or list of individuals who attended
    • An approved Food Approval Form
  • Fox World Travel is the University's contracted travel provider. 
  • All airline reservations must be made with Fox World Travel, either with an agent or within the Concur self-booking tool. 
  • Purchased airfare must be the lowest appropriate fare, which is defined as non-refundable, coach/economy class.
  • The use of online brokers or search sites, such as Expedia, Travelocity, Kayak, etc. are prohibited and will not be reimbursed by the University.  
Domestic Lodging Rate Maximums can be determined by using the Lodging & Meal Per Diem Calculator.
  • All individual non-conference site lodging reservations must be made within the Concur self-booking tool or by contacting Fox World Travel.
  • Conference site lodging reservations can be made directly with the conference or host site; however, travelers are strongly encouraged to check Concur as often times a lower rate can be obtained.  A conference or host site is defined as a lodging facility identified by the sponsor and must be included on the conference brochure, program or registration information provided.
  • The use of lodging brokers, like, Expedia, Travelocity, Airbnb, Priceline, etc. are prohibited and will not be reimbursed by the University.   
  • Employees can use a University/Prepaid Purchasing Card (PCard) to pay for lodging that is within the per diem allowance or for conference site lodging. 
  • If sharing a room with another employee, one employee may pick up the entire room cost, but both must indicate this on their respective e-Reimbursements.
  • Employees are expected to use rental vehicles when vehicle transportation is determined to be the most appropriate mode of transportation.  Vehicle transportation is generally most appropriate for round trips less than 400 miles.  
  • All out-of-state vehicle reservations must be made through Concur utilizing the Big Ten contract with Enterprise and National.  Hertz is also available within Concur when Enterprise and National do not have necessary availability.  Utilizing Concur for reservations enables the contract booking ID to automatically apply ensuring that all reservations are under contract and appropriately insured.  
  • All employees and students who are required to drive on University sponsored business must be authorized to drive in accordance with Risk Management’s Drivers Authorization.
  • If an employee chooses to use their personal vehicles, reimbursement will be made based on the following:
    • Less than 100 miles roundtrip - Standard Rate
      1. On/after 1/1/19: $0.58 per mile
      2. Prior to 1/1/19: $0.545 per mile
    • More than 100 miles roundtrip - Turndown Rate
      1. On/after 1/1/19: $0.375 per mile
      2. Prior to 1/1/19: $0.352 per mile


Travel that does not include an overnight stay will be limited to a tax reportable day trip meal allowance of $15.00 per day when the traveler expects to incur meal expenses.  No day trip meal allowance will be paid when the traveler receives a provided meal, regardless of amount. 


Please contact Fox World Travel for all your Group travel air, car, rail, and hotel needs.

Group air is classified as 10+ travelers, traveling the same destination.

Fox World Travel

Toll-Free: 866-230-8787 (option 4)

Fox World Travel is the University's contract travel management company and must be used for all University funded airline ticket purchases. They also will assist when you would like to combine lodging, ground transport, or other group accommodations.


Travelers will utilize the University Group Reservation Request Form when using Fox for group reservations. When you are ready, go to UWTravelWIse group procedures. A member of the Fox team will contact you within one (1) business day to confirm the request and discuss any open questions.

Fox will work with the travel coordinator until all the reservations have been booked. A confirmation email will be sent out to the coordinator. Please contact Business Services regarding payment of group travel.

For questions related to group travel, please contact Kristin Trussoni.


Faculty Led Program Training

Daily meal and incidental expense per diems for all foreign locations (including all related taxes and tips) can be found using the Lodging/Meal and Incidental Calculator. If the location of travel is not listed, the 'Other' rate will apply.

Any meals provided by international hosts, conferences, or others cannot be claimed for reimbursement and should be noted as such within your e-Reimbursement Meals & Incidentals Per Diem expenses.

For foreign travel, the incidental portion of the per diem varies by location.  The incidental portion includes the following expenses:

  • Fees and tips given to services staff - such as restaurant wait staff, porters, baggage handlers, hotel housekeeping or other service staff, valet, train, etc.
  • Transportation between places of lodging or business to obtain meals when not obtainable within the immediate vicinity
  • Phone calls
  • Laundry, dry cleaning, etc.
  • Bottled water



Make your reservations through our contract with Fox World Travel and take full advantage of expert international reservation services.

Before you purchase tickets for international travel, be aware that the Fly America Act/Open Skies Agreement requires that Americans (University travelers) who fly internationally using funds from the federal government (federal funds = grants) utilize a U.S. flag carrier, with few exceptions.


  • When there is no nonstop or direct service offered by a U.S. carrier
  • When travel solely outside the U.S. increases the number of aircraft changes en route to more than two
  • When the passenger’s travel time is extended by at least 6 hours
  • When the connecting time is 4 hours or more at an overseas interchange point

Additional information on the Fly America Act and Open Skies Agreement can be found here and at the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA).

Information regarding passports, travel visas, immunization requirements, foreign currency, and insurances may be found on UW TravelWIse under International Medical, Travel, & Security Insurance - CISI.

Interview candidates

Potential candidates, although not state employees, are welcomed to campus for the purpose of interviewing for a potential position with UW-La Crosse.  Candidates are subject to same UW travel policies, best business practices and process standards as employees.  Listed below are some guidelines when inviting potential candidates to campus for interviewing purposes.  

Guidelines - Interview Candidate & Employee/Host

Interview Candidate

How to Arrange and Pay for Interview Candidate Travel

How to Set-Up and Pay a Non-Employee

  • Interview candidates are considered non-employees
  • Once completed, the employee contact can enter an e-Reimbursement on behalf of the non-employee/interview candidate
  • Necessary information to complete the form:
    • Non-employee full legal name and mailing address
    • University funding string
    • Date of first purchase for which reimbursement will be requested


How to Create an e-Reimbursement for Hosted Meals with Interview Candidates

  • The employee serving as host for the meal coordinates and renders payment on behalf of interview candidate and others attending the meal
  • Meal expenses are limited to Hosted Meal Rates
  • The purchase of alcoholic beverages with University administered funds is prohibited


Direct Billing at La Crosse Area Restaurants

Employee Relocation

The University may reimburse relocation and/or temporary lodging expenses for new and presently employed personnel assigned to new locations by transfer or promotion.  Approval to reimburse employee relocation expenditures must be obtained from the Dean or appropriate Division head.  Details and limitations for relocation expenses are outlined in the appointment agreement initiated by Human Resources. In accordance with IRS regulations, effective January 1, 2018, the reimbursement or payment of any relocation costs under this policy are considered taxable income and subject to applicable income and employment taxes.

Additional information on Moving and Relocation costs is available on the UW System  Administration policy webpage and on the UWL Business Services Policies & Procedures webpage.

COMMERCIAL CARRIERS - Contracted Vendors

UW System Financial Administration Contract Moving Vendors

If you choose not to use a contracted vendor, you then must obtain three (3) quotes from vendors of your choice.  Reimbursement would then be allowed up to the lowest bid amount.

SELF MOVES - Relocating without a Commercial Carrier

Should the employee elect to relocate himself or herself, reimbursement for such a relocation is limited to the actual, reasonable, and necessary costs for any hired labor in loading and unloading the household goods and for the rental of trucks, trailers, containers, moving equipment, or other expenses directly related to the relocation. Neither the employee nor the employee’s spouse or dependents may be reimbursed for their labor. The reimbursement claim must be supported by original receipts. Estimates are not required from commercial carriers to support self moves.

Reimbursable & Non-Reimbursable Moving Costs

Reimbursable Moving Expenses Non-Reimbursable Moving Expenses 

Household Goods and Personal Effects such as:

*The stipend may be used to offset these expenses.

— Furniture

— Property for resale

— Cabinet/Closet contents

— Property not owned by the family

— Clothing

— Farm equipment

— Musical instruments

— Livestock

— Household appliances

— Trailers

— Food

— Boats over 14 feet

Direct Costs Associated with the Relocation of Household Goods (additional fees charged by the moving company on the bill of lading):

— Mileage or hauling/towing of additional vehicles (motorcycles, trucks, recreational vehicles and automobiles)

— Line Haul

— Building materials

— Fuel/Insurance Surcharge

— Items used in a personal business

— Seasonal Rate Adjustment

— Items that may be found in a household, but which the carrier cannot or will not allow to be placed in the moving van (i.e. pets, flammable items, caustic aerosols, spoilable items, plants, jewelry, frozen foods, etc.)

— Long Carry

— Swing sets, jungle gyms and other similar outdoor items

— Stairs

— Exclusive Use/Space Reservation/Expedited Service Charges

— Elevator

— Valuation/Additional insurance

— Piano/Organ Moving

— Extra pickup and/or delivery of household goods

— Extra Labor

— Warehouse handling

— Purchase of containers/packing materials

— Travel costs en route (meals, lodging, tolls, etc.)

— Ferry charges/Tolls

— Overtime loading/unloading as required by the customer

— Packing/Unpacking

— Weight and bulky article charges


— Third party services


— Storage for the convenience of the employee


— Other costs associated with the move, which could include pre-start visits and house-hunting costs

Students & non-employees

Travel arrangements for UWL students and non-employees can be coordinated through either a department Travel Coordinator or by utilizing UW onsite services.  Student and non-employee travel arrangements are subject to same UW travel policies, best business practices, and process standards as University employees.

Department Travel Coordinator

A department Travel Coordinator is a role in the online self-booking tool which allows the user to book travel on behalf of a student or non-employee.  

UW Agent Dedicated Team

To utilize our UW Agent dedicated team, the host department must first complete the Non-Employee Travel Request Form found on the UW TravelWIse site under Reservations - Onsite Services - Non-Employee Travel Request Form. The traveler will be contacted within 24 business hours by an agent for the UW Agent dedicated team.

Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. Contact phone: 866-230-8787

Driving Personal Vehicle

Students who are required to drive on University sponsored business must be authorized to drive in accordance with UWSA Policy 615-Vehicle Use and Driver Authorization and follow university guidelines prior to using personal vehicles, rental vehicles, or fleet services. 

Note: In addition to receiving driver authorization, successful completion and certification of Van Training is required prior to renting 12-15 passenger vans.  Certification is required to be presented when renting a 12-15 passenger van.

Business mileage will be reimbursed at the IRS authorized mileage rate in effect on date of travel using the most direct route. 

Standard Rate

  • On/after 1/1/19: $0.58 per mile
  • Prior to 1/1/19: $0.545 per mile


How to Set-Up and Pay a Non-Employee

Travel authorization

How to Create Travel Authorizations in the Expense Module

Travel Authorizations may be used to obtain departmental pre-trip approval, according to current policies. Travel Authorization requests include estimated expenses such as airfare, lodging, meals, etc. For Meals and Incidentals, use the Lodging/Meal and Incidental Calculator for estimates. In the Travel Authorization, use expense type "Travel Miscellaneous" and enter the description "Meals & Incidentals." Then, enter the amount from the calculator.

Fox World Travel - Concur Live Chat Support

Fox World Travel recently rolled out Concur Live Chat support. The live chat support allows for you to receive technical assistance while you are booking in Concur and is available from 8:00 am to 5:30 pm CT Monday – Friday.

Please note that reservations cannot be requested via Concur Live Chat support. If you would prefer to have an agent book your upcoming travel, please contact the dedicated team at 920-230-6467 from 7:00 am – 7:30 pm CT, Monday –  Friday.

Mileage Rate Increases - Effective 1/1/19

Beginning on January 1, 2019 the standard mileage rates for the use of personal vehicles and motorcycles when traveling on UW business has increased.

  • The standard rate for automobiles has increased from $0.545 to $0.58
  • The standard rate for motorcycles has increased from $.505 to $.55
  • The turndown rate has increased from $.352 to $.375

Real ID

Real ID is a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) initiative in which new regulations have been placed upon states to ensure that IDs, such as drivers licenses, are federally certified.

What does it mean?

All Wisconsin ID holders who plan to use their ID for domestic airline travel are required to have a certified Wisconsin Real ID effective October 1, 2020.

Travelers can visit their local DMV and request their ID be Real ID certified either upon license renewal (if prior to 10/1/2020), or by obtaining a duplicate ID prior to that meets Real ID standards.

Not a Wisconsin ID holder? Make sure you check the compliance status of your state. If your state is not yet compliant, prepare now for an alternative approved ID to travel domestically in the event your state does not receive an extension or become compliant.

Real ID UW System Updates

Lodging Rates and Meal Per Diems Increase - Effective 10/1/18

The University of Wisconsin travel rate maximums for lodging and M&IE Per Diem allowance are based on the federal government rate tables. General Services Administration (GSA) establishes per diem rates for destinations within the Continental United States (CONUS). 

  • Effective October 1, 2018 there has been an increase in Domestic lodging rates and meal per diems
  • Rate files used in the UW TravelWIse Lodging & Per Diem Calculator have been updated to reflect the rate and meal per diem changes
  • Concur, the online booking tool, has also updated the business rules to mark rates over policy when exceeding the maximum lodging rate per location and dates of travel
  • To find UW System preferred lodging properties by location, please visit the UW System Hotel Directory website. You will need to sign in with your university credentials.

Traveling by Train or Bus - 10/2/18


  • Travel by train is limited to coach unless overnight, where accommodations are limited to a roomette. The payment or reimbursement for intercity train travel will not exceed the lowest cost of the most reasonable form of other public transportation.
  • The origin starting point, destination and business purpose must be indicated on the reimbursement request.
  • Receipts are required for all train travel regardless of cost.


  • Reimbursement shall not exceed lowest cost of the most reasonable form of other public or commercial transportation options.
  • The origin starting point, destination and business purpose must be indicated on the reimbursement request.
  • Receipts must be provided if the one-way or round-trip fare, or bus pass for extended use, exceeds $25.

Moving Trucks and Cargo Vans

Moving equipment too large for a standard rental?

Enterprise Truck Rental is our designated vendor to help UW Travelers move equipment with a variety of commercial-grade trucks, from box-style moving vans to pickup trucks. This contract is strictly for business use.

Booking is easy, make your next reservation and get reimbursed!

Restriction on Basic Economy Airline Tickets

Basic Economy fares options is a low cost fare however fairly restrictive.

If you book a Basic Economy Fare (noted as a Basic Economy Fare in Concur), a follow up email will be sent to you advising of the restrictions. You will be prompted to void the ticket within 24- hours and book a less restrictive economy fare.

Note: Basic Economy fares are not accounted for when calculating the "lowest fare" within a $150 tolerance as noted in the airfare policy.

Fox recommends all travelers and travel arrangers review fare restrictions prior to selecting any flight online. Fox travel counselors will verbally advise of these fare restrictions when making flight arrangements with the UW’s dedicated agent reservation team.

Concur Messaging - Flight Requiring Overnight Hotel Stay

UW System has contracts with hotels in our most frequently-visited cities. Effective Monday, August 6th, UW System will be implementing Concur custom messaging for lodging. UW travelers will receive a friendly reminder message if they book a flight that requires an overnight stay but do not book a hotel through Concur or Fox World Travel.

Please note if your stay is at a conference or host hotel site, you are able to book directly with that venue. However, you should consult Concur/Fox World Travel on rates and availability prior to making reservations.

If you have any questions, please contact Business Services.

Contract Update Effective 8/1/18 for Enterprise and National - Vehicle Rental for Personal Use

Effective 8/1/18, the Big Ten Contract with Enterprise and National will have important changes regarding personal rentals. These changes are:

  • All rentals that are strictly for personal use will no longer include Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or Limited Liability Coverages. These coverages will be available for purchase through Enterprise and National at an additional cost.
  • All rentals that are strictly for personal use will have a separate contract ID and will be made through a separate booking link. The booking link is located below and should be used for personal rentals starting on 8/1/2018. This link will also be made available on TravelWIse.
  • There is no change to combination business and personal car rentals (i.e. adding additional days at the end or beginning of a business trip for personal car rental use) through the Enterprise/National Big Ten Agreement.
    • Rentals that are a combination of business and personal will still have included Damage Waiver and Limited Liability protection included in the contracted rental price.
    • Combination rentals will still be made through Concur or with a Fox World Travel agent.
  • There is no change to the rental rate for business or personal rentals.

Personal Use Enterprise/National Booking Link

If a renter has already booked a personal rental for a date after 8/1/18 using the current contract in Concur or with an Agent, note that they will not be covered with the extended coverages. If they would like to purchase extra coverages through Enterprise or National, they may cancel their reservation and rebook using the link above. If they do not need the additional coverages, they may keep their current reservation.

Airline Flights and Overbooking

Traveler concerns have been raised about the UW's preferred supplier relationship with United Airlines. Any airline may deny boarding or refuse to carry any ticketed passenger in accordance with the airline contract of carriage rules included on the ticket, which includes voluntary or involuntary bumping according to Federal Regulation as follows:

  • If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules.
  • The priority of all other confirmed passengers may be determined based on a passenger’s fare class, itinerary, status of frequent flyer program membership, and the time in which the passenger presents him/herself for check-in without advanced seat assignment.

  • With airline consolidation (there are only 4 remaining major U.S. carriers) and fewer flights being flown, the airlines often oversell flight capacity which increases the likelihood of a traveler being voluntary or involuntarily bumped.

  • Bumping typically occurs prior to boarding but can occur after boarding like the United scenario on April 9.

Bumping within the UW System's Managed Travel Program

When making your airline reservation with a contract (preferred) carrier in the UW System’s Managed Travel Program, whether in Concur or with a Fox World Travel agent, it significantly minimizes the chance that you’ll be bumped from a flight.  You are recognized as a UW System traveler by the carrier and the contract ID is imbedded in your ticket.  The airlines will typically bump those leisure or lone business travelers over you.

The UW System Airfare Policy does not require you to take a specific carrier over another.  Traveler’s that have been offended by United Airline’s handling of the April 9 incident are encouraged to select another carrier for their transportation needs.  For other travelers, United Airlines may still be the favorite, or in some cases the only choice for cost effective/efficient air transport depending on location.

UWS Policy statement regarding bumping:  Benefits as a result of bumping can be retained by the employee, provided the alternative travel resulting from the bumping does not involve any lost work time or incur additional University travel costs.

What To Do If You Are Bumped During Business Travel

If the carrier requests to voluntary bump, deny the offer unless there is a significant business benefit to taking this in accordance with the policy statement above.

In the rare case the carrier has selected you for involuntary bump, politely agree prior to boarding or give up your seat if already boarded.

If the carrier compensates you and arranges transport on the next available flight, report the flight re-accommodation to Fox World Travel as soon as possible so they can log this and update the record associated to your flight(s).  We need to track and assist you during your entire trip.

If the carrier is unable to accommodate you on the next flight, contact Fox World Travel immediately for re-accommodation.  Fox agents can look across all major carriers to get you re-accommodated as quickly as possible.  In the event of lost funds which may result from the originating carrier, Fox will make every attempt to recoup the lost funds on your behalf.

UWSA Policy 425 – Use of Personal Vehicles, Rental Cars, and Fleet for Business Transportation - Effective 2/1/17

UWSA Policy 425 - Use of Personal Vehicles, Rental Cars, and Fleet for Business Transportation

Concur must be used for all out-of state vehicle rental reservations utilizing the Big Ten contract with Enterprise and National car rentals.  Local vehicle rental reservations can be made directly with the rental agencies.  When Enterprise and National do not have necessary availability or serve the location of travel, Hertz, under the State of Wisconsin (WSCA) contract, may be used and is also available within Concur.  Login to UWTravelWIse to obtain Big Ten or WSCA contract number. 

Utilizing Concur for reservations enables the contract booking ID to be automatically applied, ensuring that all reservations are under contract and appropriately insured. Eligible business renters are classified as all University authorized drivers age 18 and over.  Authorized drivers 18-20 are restricted to domestic rentals only.


  • Employees and students who are required to drive on University sponsored business must be authorized to drive in accordance with UWSA Policy 615 – Vehicle Use and Driver Authorization prior to using personal or rental vehicles.
  • Rentals are limited to compact/standard/intermediate vehicle classes unless there are business needs that require a larger class of vehicle.
  • Claims for reimbursement beyond standard/intermediate vehicle classes (i.e. trucks, vans, etc.) for reasons such as transporting extra passengers, carrying cargo or bulky equipment, etc., must be explained in the Travel Expense Report. 
  • Travelers and those arranging travel for others must ensure that the Big Ten or WSCA contract ID number is referenced on the rental agreement to assure contract coverage, appropriate terms, and rates. 
  • Drivers are responsible for refueling vehicles priors to return with the same level of fuel that they received at the time of rental.  The University will not reimburse vendor refueling or prepay fuel packages.  Receipts for gas are required to support reimbursement claims.

UWSA Policy 415 – Purchase & Payment of Lodging - Effective 2/1/17

UWSA Policy 415 – Purchase & Payment of Lodging

UW System (UWS) continues to contract with frequently used lodging properties that are located in the UWS’s top travel destinations, including Wisconsin and those locations served by UWS institutions.  All lodging reservations, local and otherwise, should be made within Concur, the online self-booking tool.  The direct benefits of utilizing UWS contract or partnership properties are to receive optimal rates for quality accommodations close to the business need, obtaining greater room availability, flexibility in waived deposits and cancellation terms, and greater efficiency in making lodging reservations, including automated tax exemption where allowable.      

For Rate Maximum or Availability Exceptions

When a University traveler cannot obtain a room within the UWS’s maximum rate for the required location, Concur will be utilized for the reservation and the user may reserve the lowest available rate for the lodging supplier closest to the business location.  The reimbursement must contain an explanation for this exception. 

External Conference Property Reservations

Travelers should first consult Concur to search for their conference hotel as often there are rates available that are less than the conference rate.  If the Concur rate is not lower than the conference hotel rate, then the traveler can make their reservation directly with the lodging property or utilizing the reservation process and/or rate code provided by the organizer.

Concur Online Self-Booking Tool

UW System Contracts and Partnership Program Properties are designated “Most Preferred” and will be listed first in search results when available in the travel destination.  UW System and Partnership program rates and room types are designated by code name which are identified as UW System, Univ of Chicago, CIC, Staterates, NASPO or WSCA.  State government rates are displayed as State Gov.  Users that have AAA or AARP memberships should check the applicable box in their Concur user profile for these membership rates to apply. 

Concur displays live inventory sent directly from hotel suppliers; rates and room types are not specific to the UW therefore there are rates and room types above what UW policy allows.  Users must adhere to the location rate maximums and only reserve single/standard rooms.  Review rate maximums for your location using the TravelWIse Rate Calculator located on the home page of the UW TravelWIse portal.  Users are also encouraged to review the UW System Contract Lodging Directory, lodging policy and procedures prior to making any lodging reservation. 

Concur is reserve only, with the exception of a one-night deposit where required, travelers must pay for their room at check-out.  Travel arrangers wanting to pay for travelers lodging must contact the property to complete a hotel authorization for charges post stay.  Travelers and arrangers are responsible for reading and adhering to the lodging property terms and conditions, including cancellation penalties. 

Please contact the Concur Online Support team at Fox (866-230-8787, option 3) for any questions or issues that arise during your booking process. 

Limitations of choosing a Delta Basic Economy Fare (E Fare)

Basic Economy (E Class Fare) is Delta’s restricted, low-cost product and has not traditionally appealed to business travelers. Basic Economy fare purchases:

  • are non-refundable and non-changeable (use of unused credit on future tickets not allowed)
  • advance seat selection will not be available but will be automatically assigned when a customer checks-in
  • For travel beginning February 1, 2015, will not be eligible for paid or complimentary First Class, Economy Comfort, or Preferred Seat upgrades. Same-day confirmed or same-day standby travel changes will not be available, regardless of Medallion or other elite status

Fox will alert any traveler who has booked a Delta Basic Economy fare via email. The traveler will be advised of the restrictions and prompted to void their ticket within the 24-hour void period should they wish to ticket a less restrictive economy fare.

Fox recommends all travelers review fare restrictions prior to selecting any flight online. Fox travel counselors will verbally advise fare restrictions when making flight arrangements with our agent reservation teams.

Concur Travel: Filter by Flight Number

The customer spoke, and Concur has listened! The #1 requested enhancement for Concur Travel has just been released.

Users are now able to filter air search results by entering part or all of a flight number.

Please review the User Guide/Tutorial Catalog within UW TravelWIse to learn how to filter air searches by specific flight number.

Sign up for Trip Alert

The University of Wisconsin strongly encourages travelers to register for Altitude an automated flight disruption notification service for email or text message updates of any flight delays, cancellations and more. This important subscription service is being offered free of charge by Fox World Travel for the UW System customer.

As a reminder your cell phone number is now a required field in your Concur travel profile to be used in cases of airline changes or more critical emergencies. Please take a moment to ensure that your profile contains this important contact information.

What does Altitude do and why is it important?

Altitude keeps you updated on the status of your flight(s) via text or email. Alerts include:

  • cancellations or diversions
  • departure delays
  • gate changes
  • flight connections

How do I register?

To register to receive Altitude Flight Alerts, please click here: Register Here

What if I don't take action?

  • Altitude will only send trip alerts if you register above.
  • Altitude will continue to send invitations after each new reservation is made until you either opt-in or opt-out.
  • Alternatively, to opt out of Altitude and no longer receive invitations to sign up for the service, please click here: Opt-Out

Concur Profile Requirements - Cell/Mobile Phone Number

To better assist travelers in the event of airline delays/cancellations and for outreach in other emergencies, the cell/mobile phone fields in the Concur profile will require completion. While most travelers have entered their business and home numbers the vast majority have not provided cell phone numbers, an essential communication tool when in travel status.

  • For new users this will be a required field that must be completed prior to saving a profile – it is not a field in the registration form
  • Fox agents will also require this information when providing full service reservations
  • For existing users without cell/mobile numbers in profile - Users will be prompted to complete this requirement the next time they launch the Concur search
  • In the rare case of a traveler not having a cell phone, the workaround would be to re-enter the office or home number.

Meal & incidental expense per diem allowance

What is a Meal & Incidental Expense (M&IE) per diem allowance and how do I qualify to receive this? expanding section

Individual University business travelers are eligible to receive a meal & incidental expense (M&IE) per diem allowance whenever travel requires an overnight stay. The M&IE per diem allowance covers individual, out-of-pocket meals and defined incidental expenses.

What does the M&IE per diem allowance include? expanding section

The M&IE per diem allowance includes all meals as well as incidental expenses defined as:

  • Fees and tips given to restaurant wait staff, bell hops, porters, baggage handlers, hotel housekeeping, valet, service staff on trains or ships.
  • Transportation between places of lodging or business and places where meals are taken.
  • Laundry, dry cleaning, and pressing of clothing
  • Mailing and other expenses associated with filing expense reports
  • Bottled water (for international travel needs)
What if I’m only gone a portion of the day, do I get an M&IE per diem allowance? expanding section

Day trip travel without an overnight stay does not qualify for the M&IE per diem allowance.  If your day travel requires you to spend money for a meal(s), the approving authority may authorize a $15 day trip meal allowance.  This allowance is tax reportable to you.  If you receive any provided meals for a day trip you will not receive any day trip meal allowance.

Do I need to provide receipts for my M&IE per diem allowance? expanding section

The M&IE per diem allowance does not require receipts for payment.  Do not submit receipts to the University for M&IE per diem.  The I.R.S. does recommend that all business travelers retain receipts for any business travel expenses incurred for personal tax filing purposes.

Can I authorize less that the M&IE per diem allowance for the location? expanding section

No.  The reimbursement plan has been designed to fairly compensate all travelers. While the rate maximums apply to all, the supervisor or approving authority may limit a travelers overall trip budget.

I give my students meal money and have them sign a sheet, do I now pay them a M&IE per diem? expanding section

No.  A M&IE per diem allowance is only allowed for individual travelers that incur meal and incidentals expenses as a result of over-night travel, pay out-of-pocket and file for their own reimbursement.  If a student traveler does the above, they would file for their own M&IE per diem reimbursement.  If you continue to provide this for the student, they cannot.

When a University group leader provides money to students (or members of a team) for purchase of their own meal the expense limits fall under the same limit structure as Headquarter City and UW Sponsored Events.  The amount of meal money given should be reasonable and in keeping to the type of student activity/travel and meals being provided.

All meal expenses must be supported by itemized receipts.  In cases where meal money is given to students to purchase a meal on their own, the standard signature form, signed by the student to acknowledge the receipt of meal money, will be used in lieu of the restaurant receipt.

The maximum rates, including gratuity and tax, by location and meal expense type are:


Within Wisconsin

 Outside Wisconsin













What if I’m hosting a meal for a guest, job interview candidate, student, or recruit? expanding section

An individual traveler’s personal meal & incidental expense (M&IE) per diem allowance cannot be used to pay for items related to University Sponsored Events or any other related business entertainment activity that includes meals, food or beverages whether the expense is incurred in travel status or at the headquarter location.

Meal limits, receipt requirements and other documentation for hosting expenses is part of the UW Headquarter City & Sponsored Events policy.  Please review the requirements.

Do we pay a M&IE per diem allowance to student or non-employees traveling for the University? expanding section

Yes, the M&IE per diem allowance is applicable to all individuals that travel for University purposes.

Headquarter city & UW sponsored events

I have a small food and beverage budget for a conference that I’m arranging do I have to use the new rate maximums? expanding section

No.  When making food and beverage arrangements you do not have to spend the maximum amount per meal. Let the food and beverage staff know what your budget is and request food and beverage options that align with your budget.  If you are accustomed to using a hotel’s “state rate menu” to stay within your budget, you can continue to request that.

If I take two students out for a meal how do I get reimbursed for this cost? expanding section

These type of meal expenditures are considered “hosted meals”.  Meal maximums and policy requirements for hosting a meal are the same as what is contained within the Headquarter City and UW Sponsored Events Policy.

All hosted meal expenses must be supported by a business purpose, itemized receipts and a list of attendees. The meal purchase(s) should be reasonable, need not be at the maximum amount, and in keeping with the type of student activity/travel and meals being provided.

The maximum rates, including gratuity and tax, by location and meal expense type are:


Within Wisconsin

 Outside Wisconsin













University travel program changes

Do I have to use Concur to make lodging reservations? expanding section

Yes, effective February 1, 2017 all lodging reservations, local and otherwise, should be made within Concur.  Using Concur for reservations allows for discounts and amenities not offered when working directly with the hotel or lodging property.

Policy does not allow the use of online brokers or search sites like, Expedia, Kayak, Trivago, AirBnB, etc.  Travelers will not be reimbursed when using these third party sites.

What if I can find cheaper tickets on my own? expanding section

The University and contract travel management company, Fox World Travel, stand by the pricing received in the Concur and with Fox World Travel agents, ensuring the lowest possible price for your flight. University travelers have access to all travel supplier pricing in one application, making it efficient in selecting the lowest available fares that meet your business travel schedule.  Concur utilizes the same live pricing and availability offered by the airlines and that full-service travel agents use. University discounts are automatically applied to each reservation.

By contrast other internet booking sites do not use live data or update availability regularly, instead using cached, outdated information or tease fares that do not reflect the numerous changes to airfare or other travel supplier pricing and availability.  Access to live data is important as both pricing and availability change numerous times per day.

As the University’s travel management company partner, Fox World Travel is committed to assisting the University traveler in finding the lowest fares available that best meet the business needs.  To assure that the University is obtaining the lowest pricing from air carriers, including the University contract carrier partners, Fox routinely audits a random sampling of domestic and international reservations to compare the following:

  1. Rate and itinerary booked by users of Concur.
  2. Rate and itinerary booked by Fox agents.
  3. That all reservations were processed through Fox’s quality control process.

Compared with:

  1. Fares on the airline’s website.
  2. Fares on three public sites.

Based on these audits, Fox is confident in the ability to offer the lowest price tickets for their client base.  Fox stands behind this by offering the University a low fare guarantee process for individual ticket purchases.  Learn more about that process under procedures.

With over $45 Million in annual air spend, the University must make every effort to protect travel dollars from ever-escalating airline costs. The most effective way to do this is to consolidate volume to leverage University spend with the airlines to increase discounts as the program moves forward.  Effective July 1, 2015 travelers will not be reimbursed the cost of airline tickets purchased outside of the University’s program.

Travel Policy

I prefer to drive rather than fly, can I get paid mileage? expanding section

The university will pay for the most economical form of transportation to reach your business destination and return. That will often be by air for out of state business. If you elect to travel by car, that’s a personal choice and your reimbursement will be limited to the lowest cost. You will have to provide a cost comparison which includes airfare and all related air expenses (airport parking, taxi from airport to hotel and back, and mileage from home to airport and return), and car mileage and related costs (including additional work hours for travel time) for the travel to the destination and return. This cost comparison, including the additional work hours for travel time, must be discussed and approved by your supervisor prior to travel.

Note: The comparisons will need to be attached to your expense report to support the elective to drive vs. fly and expedite your reimbursement.

For more information see the process guidelines: Determining the Appropriate Mode of Transportation and 1201 Purchase & Payment of Business Air Travel

I need to drive my vehicle for business because I will be transporting equipment needed at my destination, how do I determine what I will be reimbursed? expanding section

There are a number of things to consider in this situation, for instance, can you pay to ship the equipment and travel by the lowest cost transportation option? Is it less costly to drive your personal vehicle and carry the equipment with you? Can you rent a car for less than the mileage cost for driving your own vehicle? The university will pay for the most economical form of transportation to reach your business destination and return, including the need to transport the equipment.

You will need to prepare a comparison of the various possible methods of transportation that will meet the need in determining lowest cost. You should then discuss options and cost with your supervisor as the approving authority has responsibility for determining the most appropriate mode of transportation.

For more information see the procedure: Determining the Appropriate Mode of Transportation