Posted 2:53 p.m. Thursday, May 11, 2023
Stryker among winners in falcon naming contest
UW-La Crosse fans will see a familiar name among peregrine falcons hatching on live cameras throughout the state.
Stryker is one of the names of the top five vote-getters in this year’s peregrine falcon naming contest sponsored by We Energies and Wisconsin Public Service. This year’s competition featured some of Wisconsin’s most beloved college mascots.
With over 6,500 votes cast, the top 10 names are:
- Norby — in honor of Norby the Green Knight, St. Norbert College
- Clash — in honor of Clash the Titan, UW-Oshkosh
- Ollie — in honor of Ollie the Owl, Waukesha County Technical College
- Ember — in honor of Ember the Firebird, Carthage College
- Stryker — in honor of Stryker the Eagle, UW-La Crosse
- Bucky — in honor of Bucky Badger, UW-Madison
- Pete — in honor of Pio Pete, Carroll University
- Roscoe — in honor of Roscoe Raider, Milwaukee School of Engineering
- Phlash — in honor of Phlash the Phoenix, UW-Green Bay
- Iggy — in honor of Iggy the Golden Eagle, Marquette University
The names will be given to the peregrine falcon chicks at We and WPS power plants this spring.
Even though voting is done, you can still watch the chicks on We Energies’ live cameras as they continue to grow, build strength and learn to fly. They won’t leave the nest for a few more weeks.
The falcon chicks will formally receive their names and identification bands in the coming days and weeks.