Important message from the Records & Registration Office

Due to the ongoing public health situation, some changes have taken place to Fall registration, transcripts ordering, and office procedures:

  1. Registration for Fall 2020 will be closed for longer than normal so that departments can adjust their Fall schedules to fit into the new social distancing and health safety guidelines. Students will be able to adjust their schedules and continue registering starting July 27th. Non-degree seeking special students will be able to start registering August 10th.
  2. Most staff in the Records and Registration Office are working remotely during normal business hours. Please contact us using our email at If you do call our number and no one answers, please leave a message and your call will be returned either by email or phone as soon as possible.
  3. In addition, we cannot take transcript requests in person. Please order electronically. Current students may use the Official Transcript link in their WINGS Student Center. Former students may use the "Order a Transcript Now" link on our Transcript page. The link to the Transcript page is below this message. 
  4. There may be a delay in processing the transcript requests for students who attended UWL prior to 1991, transcript requests sent in the mail, or requests for transcripts to be sent through regular postal mail. If the health situation requires our minimal office staff to return to working from home, the delay could add 1-2 weeks of processing time.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the temporary undergraduate S/U Grading Policy for Spring 2020

To find courses offered in an upcoming term,
click on the Searchable Timetable:

timetable button

Helpful registration links:

Before registering:

  • Registration is done online through the student's WINGS Student Center, except for:
    • Audit students: Audit students should bring in their overrides (written permission from the instructor) to Records and Registration.
    • Extended Learning programs and some graduate programs: Check with Extended Learning or your graduate program director for directions on how to register.

  • You must be admitted to UWL before you can register. Applications take 2-4 days to process, possibly longer if the student has outstanding holds on his/her account. Students who have not enrolled in a semester or more and students who withdrew in the middle of a semester MUST submit a new application online. The application fee does not have to be paid again. (If you kept your login username and password from your first application, you can reuse that information.

  • Fees and bills:
    • All past bills must be paid before registering.
    • All undergraduate and graduate students are assessed a non-refundable registration fee each semester they register for one or more courses, whether or not the student drops the course(s) before the semester starts. The fee appears on your bill and can be paid online.
    • New incoming students (including transfers) are required to pay a one-time non-refundable tuition deposit before registering for classes for Summer, Fall, or Spring. If this fee is not paid, your registration cannot be processed. The fee will be applied to your tuition. The deposit may be sent to the Cashier's Office, or you can pay online using WINGS Student Center. Winter Intersession does not require a deposit.

  • Timetables (the schedules of courses for upcoming terms) are released several weeks before registration begins. The start date of registration can be found in the Dates and Deadlines.

  • Students are encouraged to register for classes as soon as they are able. Many classes fill up fast. Also, UWL reserves the right to cancel courses due to low enrollment, no later than one week prior to the start of each session. For summer session, UWL cancels classes that have not met a minimum enrollment number two weeks prior to the first day of summer session. Check your campus email for cancellation notices.

Additional registration information:

UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE-SEEKING STUDENTS (Enrolled in the current semester) expanding section

Future semester/term registration for currently enrolled undergraduate degree-seeking students is based on the number of credits earned. Students with the most credits earned are assigned the earliest registration appointments. See Important Dates and Deadlines for when registration begins and refer to your WINGS Student Center for your assigned time.


New incoming freshmen meet with an advisor and sign up for classes during START registration, typically scheduled in June for students entering in the fall term. The Admissions office will send more information directly to students.

SECOND-DEGREE STUDENTS expanding section

Students who have earned a baccalaureate degree from UW-La Crosse or any other regionally accredited institution and wish to earn another undergraduate degree are considered "second-degree students." Students who have never attended UWL should submit the online application and pay the application fee. Former UWL students who have previously paid the application fee must also apply online but do not have to pay the application fee.

Students must be admitted before they can register. Admitted second-degree students register using their WINGS Student Center. See Important Dates and Deadlines for when registration begins and refer to your WINGS Student Center for your assigned time. Any past bills must be paid before registering.

Note: Seeking a second-degree is different than seeking an additional major or minor. An additional major can be earned without fulfilling the requirements for a second degree. Thus, students do not have to be degree-seeking to obtain an additional major or minor, but they are required to be degree-seeking to earn another degree. Contact Records and Registration if you are not sure of your status.


Students must be admitted before they can register. Once admitted, students may register online via the WINGS Student Center according to the registration schedule and instructions. The Admissions office will send more information directly to students. Any past bills must be paid before registering.

Registration appointments for transfer and re-entry students are determined by number of credits earned, but are only assigned after the student has been admitted. See Important Dates and Deadlines for when registration begins and refer to your WINGS Student Center for your assigned time.

VETERAN STUDENTS expanding section

Honorably discharged veterans are eligible for priority registration. Please bring a copy of your DD-214, Notice of Basic Eligibility or Active Duty Identification Card to 116 Graff Main Hall. 

At UW-La Crosse, priority registration allows students to register at the beginning of their class level (i.e. sophomore, junior). See Important Dates and Deadlines for when registration begins and refer to your WINGS Student Center for your assigned time. Any past bills must be paid before registering.


Students who are not seeking to earn a degree (i.e. taking a class to transfer back to another school; auditing only; taking a single class for personal interest) are considered "special non-degree students." Special non-degree students must apply online and be admitted before they can register. See Important Dates and Deadlines for the date special students can begin to register.

Special non‑degree students register using the WINGS Student Center. Registration instructions are sent to admitted special non-degree students as the scheduled enrollment date for each term approaches. Any past bills must be paid before registering.


Students enrolling in CEE courses (courses with 700 section numbers) may register using the WINGS Student Center if they were enrolled in a course in the prior semester. Students who have never been enrolled at UWL, or who have not been enrolled for more than a semester need to contact Continuing Education at 608.785.6500 to obtain an application form. Any past bills must be paid before registering.

Students may register for CEE courses until one day before the start of each class. Please note that decisions about whether the class will be held or not based on the enrollment are usually made one week before the start date. 

GRADUATE STUDENTS expanding section

Graduate students should see their graduate program director about what courses to register in.  Graduate students who were NOT enrolled in the prior term must apply for re-entry admission before they can register. If a graduate student interrupts their enrollment for one semester or longer (excluding summer) while in good academic standing, re-entry status may be granted with approval from the program director. Applications should be made as early as possible, no later than one month prior to the beginning of the planned term of re-enrollment. Applications will be accepted until enrollment limits have been reached.

See Important Dates and Deadlines for when registration starts. Any past bills must be paid before registering.

Graduate students currently in a program

Depending on which program you are in, you either will complete the registration form and leave it with your program director or you will be required to use the WINGS Student Center to register. Any past bills must be paid before registering.

Please note: Newly admitted students in Occupational Therapy (OT), Physical Therapy (PT) or Physicians Assistant (PA) Graduate Programs are required to pay a one time $250 enrollment deposit prior to being able to register. This fee is applied toward tuition.

Graduate special non-degree students

Graduate special non-degree students register using the WINGS Student Center. See Important Dates and Deadlines for the date special students can begin to register. Those enrolling to meet DPI requirements (i.e. teachers) should direct questions to the Teacher Certification Office, 145 Graff Main Hall, 608.785.8127, before registering. Other graduate non‑degree students who need advising should contact one of the following offices for referral: 

College of Arts, Social Sciences, & Humanities: Associate Dean, Charles Martin-Stanley; 608.785.8113 
College of Science and Health: 
Associate Dean, Roger Haro; 608.785.6970