Skip to main content

Accessibility menu

Skip to main content Skip to footer


A page within Records and Registration

Student Forms & Processes

Add/Drop (Change of Schedule)


  • After the instructor or advisor puts in the electronic permission, the student must log back into WINGS and complete the add or drop enrollment action before the add or drop deadline expires. Student directions on how to drop can be found on the WINGS Help page.
  • Instructors/advisors can find directions on giving electronic permission on the WINGS Help page.

If done on paper, drop/add forms are available at the Office of Records and Registration, 117 Graff Main Hall. Completed forms should be returned to that office. Any exceptions that are approved after the deadline passes must be approved on the paper form or by email.

Adding a Class:

  • Students may add classes on their WINGS Student Center through the 5th day of classes without permission, provided that class section is open.
  • Between the 6th and 10th day of the semester, the instructor's permission is required to register, if the course is open. Additional approval may be required if the course is closed or to override prerequisites.
  • After the 10th day, permission from the instructor, department chairperson, and student's dean is required on all adds of full semester classes.

Dropping a Class:

  • Students may drop classes on their WINGS Student Center through the 10th day of classes without permission and without affecting the student's academic record.
  • All withdrawals after the 10th day of classes for a full semester course will be recorded with a “W” on the student’s academic record, and permission is required from the instructor or the student's advisor. 
  • Any student may withdraw from a class during the first half of a course. No student is permitted to withdraw from a course later than one week after the midterm of a full semester course.
  • A student who fails to attend the first two scheduled classes or provide proper notification may be dropped from the course at the discretion of the instructor. However, a student should not assume this will happen. It is still a student’s responsibility to officially drop the course(s).
  • The drop date is recorded as of the date the student completes the enrollment process in WINGS or the form is officially processed, not the date the instructor entered in the permission in WINGS or the date of the instructor’s signature.
  • Total withdrawals from the university in the fall or spring semesters must be done through the Student Life office, 149 Graff Main Hall. For a summer or winter intersession withdrawal, see the Office of Records and Registration, 117 Graff Main Hall.

Drop/add dates for classes shorter than a full semester are prorated based on the length of the course. To see the exact drop date for a particular course, locate the small calendar icon next to the course in your schedule through your WINGS Student Center.

Application for Associate of Arts Degree

Once completed, the online application for an Associate of Arts degree is sent to the Academic Advising Center and the Records and Registration Office for review.

Associate of Arts Degree Online Application

Change of Major/Minor

Declare or change your major/minor with the appropriate College/School via this form

Duplicate Diploma Order Form

Duplicate diplomas can be ordered online, by mail, or in person. The link to order online is below. Credit/debit cards can be used when ordering online. The paper order form should be sent/brought to 117 Graff Main Hall along with the fee for the diploma. Only cash or check are accepted by mail. Credit cards are accepted in person or online, but not by phone. The fee is $25 per diploma.

Enrollment/Degree Verification

Students who need enrollment verification for Health Insurance, Loan Deferments, Scholarships, etc. can print out a formal statement of attendance by clicking the "Enrollment Verification" menu item under the Enrollment Resources menu located on the lower right side of your WINGS Student Center which will take you to a secure connection to the National Student Clearinghouse. This is a free service to our students. Verify Enrollment/Degree

FERPA Release Form - Advising

Students may complete this form when requesting a university office release part of their educational record to a third party for advising purposes (for example, a parent or guardian). This includes authorization to discuss details about the educational record directly with the third party, but for advising purposes only. Give the completed form to the university office that will be releasing the information.

Please note that this form gives a one time authorization only, and a new form will need to be completed if the request for release is made again at another time.

Authorization to Release FERPA Information - Advising purposes, one time use.pdf

FERPA Release Form - General

Students may complete this form when requesting a university office release part of their educational record to a third party (for example, to provide permission for a faculty member to release your grades or performance in their class in a letter of recommendation). This includes discussing details of the educational record with the third party. Give the completed form to the university office that will be releasing the information.

Please note that this form gives a one time authorization only, and a new form will need to be completed if the request for release is made again at another time.

Authorization to Release FERPA Information - general, one time use.pdf

Name Change Form

Name Change Form

Completed name change forms, accompanied by a copy of the legal documentation showing the name change (i.e. driver's license; marriage certificate; court decree), can be returned by:

Mail: UW-La Crosse, 117 Graff Main Hall, 1725 State St, La Crosse, WI 54601
In person: 117 Graff Main Hall


Preferred Name Form

The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse has established a Preferred Name Policy. To change your name to a preferred name in university systems, complete the preferred name form.

Off-Campus Evaluation and Permit Form

Students often decide to take courses at other institutions during the various breaks throughout the year (such as winter intersession or summer). Prior to taking a course at another institution, please review the steps about taking a non-UWL class before registering into the desired class.

After you have reviewed the steps at the link above, complete the Off Campus Course Evaluation and Permit Form. It will be reviewed by your College Dean's office to ensure that the credits will indeed transfer to UWL. You will get an email when the course is approved or if there are follow-up questions. Please contact you College Dean's Office with questions or concerns regarding transfer information. 


Information about overrides can be found in the Records' FAQs.

  • What is an override?
  • How do I get an override?
  • How do I use an electronic override?
  • How do I register with an override if I'm already on the wait list?
  • Is it possible to get into a class that is full?

Faculty/Staff Forms & Processes

Curriculum Change Forms (CIM)

For faculty and departments updating their curricula, click the Curriculum Resources link below to learn about our new Curriculum Inventory Management (CIM) system. The Curriculum Resources page has introductory material and help documents to get you started. The links to the Course and Program Forms can be found on that page or through the other links below.

Course Forms 
Program Forms

Change of Grade/Removal of Incomplete Form

An instructor may request to change a final grade or remove an "Incomplete" grade by submitting the Change of Grade/Removal of Incomplete Form. This form requires approval from the instructor, department chair, and College/School Dean's office. Once all approvals are given, the completed form should be forwarded to the Records and Registration Office. 

Please note that requests to change a final grade must be submitted within a certain timeframe. Review the full text of the Undergraduate Change of Final Grade Policy in the undergraduate catalog and the Graduate Change of Final Grade Policy in the graduate catalog.

Change of Grade Form (single grade)
Change of Grade Form (multiple grades)

Incomplete Grade Request Form

The full Incomplete Grade Policy can be found in the undergraduate and graduate catalogs. 

To request an incomplete for a student, an Incomplete Grade Request Form must be submitted. After discussion with the student about what will be required to finish the course and after receiving agreement from the student, the instructor should complete the form and submit it to workflow. The student should not initiate the form as instructor approval is only obtained when the instructor submits the form.

A copy of the form will be sent to both the student and the Records Office. The student should update the form to acknowledge that they read and agreed to the terms of the incomplete.

The Records and Registration Office will verify that the "I" grade has been submitted and the correct due date is listed in WINGS. The longest that can be given for a due date is one calendar year following the term in which the incomplete was incurred.

Once the student completes the missing work, a Change of Grade Form should be completed to update the "I" to the correct final grade. Failure to remove the incomplete will result in a grade of “F” being recorded on the student’s record unless otherwise noted under the "Approvals and Conditions" section of the form.

Incomplete Grade Form


Summer Session Start Date Appeal Form

Once completed, the Summer Session Start Date Appeal Form should be submitted to Records and Registration (117 Graff Main Hall) by January 15th to guarantee inclusion in the Summer Session Timetable.

Summer Session Start Date Appeal Form

WINGS Access Request Process

UWL Student Privacy and FERPA Training must be completed before access to WINGS can be approved. Go to Canvas and enroll to complete the course. Only individuals with an active UWL email will be able to enroll. All employees who will be accessing private student educational or health information must take this training.

Where to find the form: To submit a WINGS Compliance Form, please navigate here. A login may be required.

Once the form is submitted, the noted supervisor is notified to complete and/or modify the form as needed, and then approve or deny. If approved, the request will be reviewed by the data security officer(s) authorized to approve access to each category of data. Once fully approved, a ticket will be started to create or modify the WINGS account for the employee. You will be notified when the ticket is started.

Directions on completing form (login required):

Who needs to complete the WINGS Access Request Form? Any instructor, staff member, or student worker who will need access to the student information system (WINGS) to do their job must complete this form. All instructors, both full time faculty and part time adjuncts must complete the form. Instructors who are returning to teach after an absence of a year or more should also retake the FERPA training and complete this form.

Requesting WINGS access for an individual is a separate step from the HR onboarding process. For instructors, this needs to be done before the start of the term in which the instructor will be teaching. Employees need to have an active email and net ID to complete the form.

Troubleshooting: The employee must have an active UWL email and net ID. If you do not have an active email yet, please contact HR. If you have an active email but the form will not come up, please try clearing your browser's cache and logging back in again. If still having trouble accessing the form, please contact the Eagle Help Desk (608.785.8774).

UWL Student Privacy and FERPA training

UWL Student Privacy and FERPA Training may be taken by any UWL student or employee, but the training is aimed mainly at employees. The training explains the privacy rules governing student educational and health information, employees' responsibilities to protect that information, and situations when releasing information is or is not acceptable. Any employee accessing restricted student information must take this training before gaining access.

Go to Canvas and enroll to complete the course.