Skip to main content

Accessibility menu

Skip to main content Skip to footer

Undergraduate students

A page within Records and Registration

Undergraduate policies and procedures:

Undergraduate students are students who are working toward earning a baccalaureate degree (Bachelor of Arts/B.A. or Bachelor of Science/B.S.) or are non-degree seeking students taking one or more undergraduate classes (numbered between 050-499). Students completing the Associate of Arts degree are also considered undergraduate students.

Undergraduate students should read the Undergraduate Catalog to learn the applicable requirements for their undergraduate studies, specific programs, academic policies, and university policies. The topics below are only a few of the relevant policies. In addition, some textbook and Commencement information is also below.

When reviewing the catalog, be sure you are in the Undergraduate Catalog. The graduate policies are often different and do not apply to undergraduate students.

Undergraduate Expanders

Drop/Add/Change of Schedule

Undergraduates may drop and add classes via WINGS Student Center from the time they register to the fifth day of the semester. After the fifth day of the semester, 

  • Add: undergraduates need the instructor's permission to add a course from the fifth day of the semester through the 10th day. Departmental permission may also be required. After the 10th day, undergraduates cannot add a course except in unusual cases and then only with the consent of the instructor, department chair, and the college dean's office.
  • Drop: undergraduates may drop without permission through the 10th day of the semester. After the 10th day, students need the instructor or advisor's permission to drop a course.

Please bring the signed drop or add forms to Records and Registration, 117 Graff Main Hall. Please see the undergraduate catalog for other academic policies and start-up information.


Undergraduate students may check out textbooks from Textbook Rental Services, located in the lower level of the Student Union. Undergraduate students pay a textbook rental segregated fee each semester as part of their tuition to support the textbook rental program.


Official grades are submitted at the end of each term and are available to students through their WINGS Student Center. Grades are not mailed.

The student's college takes academic action at the end of each semester if a student fails to meet requirements. Students with unsatisfactory grades are expected to seek counseling and help with their studies. Available resources include the instructor(s), advisor, and department tutors. Student services staff, particularly Counseling and Testing Center personnel, will provide assistance on a confidential basis. First year students, especially, are encouraged to seek help at the earliest sign of academic difficulty. The university assumes that students will communicate regularly with interested parties (e.g. parents) with respect to academic status and progress.


Undergraduate students file an application to graduate using their WINGS Student Information Center. Students should apply for graduation immediately after registering for their final semester. December and Winter Intersession graduates should file by May 1st; May and Summer graduates should file by December 1st. On your WINGS Student Center page, open the drop-down box and click "Apply for Graduation." You will need to click "Apply for Graduation" again under your program and then follow the prompts.

Students are responsible for making sure all requirements for the degree have been met. While extensive efforts are made to maintain the accuracy of your Advisement Report (AR), your college dean's office must confirm whether or not your degree is complete. Since your college dean's office authorizes the awarding of your degree, Records and Registration recommends confirming with that office that you'll meet all the degree requirements by making an appointment for a credit check prior to registering for your final year.  

Once undergraduate students reach 95 credits, they are automatically billed a one-time graduation fee. This fee covers the cost of graduation and Commencement, and is assessed whether or not a student chooses to attend the ceremony. An additional cap and gown fee is paid at the bookstore when you pick up your cap and gown. 

UW-La Crosse has a spring (May) and winter (December) Commencement ceremony held at the La Crosse Center. Attendance at the Commencement ceremonies is optional. Tickets are not required for guests to attend the Commencement ceremony. However, it is recommended that students limit the number of guests to no more than six. The venue reaches full capacity with standing room only. 

Associate Degree: If you wish to apply for an Associate Degree or are in a Certificate program, you will need to fill out a form in the Records and Registration Office, 117 Graff Main Hall. The graduation fee for an associate degree is $10 and will need to be paid when you submit the form. The Records office can only accept cash or check. 

Registration appointments & other information

View information about how registration appointments are set and additional registration resources.