Skip to main content

Accessibility menu

Skip to main content Skip to footer

Counseling & Testing

A page within Counseling & Testing

Important Information

In an effort to keep students, employees, and community members safe, the Counseling and Testing Center encourages the use of masks in our office. Counseling services will still be offered virtually (phone or video) along with in-person services.

If you are feeling ill at the time of your appointment please call the office to discuss appointment options.

For directions for your scheduled counseling appointment please visit our

Appointment Information page.

Counseling Appointments

We offer confidential counseling services to currently enrolled UWL students. View the Stepped Care Model below or visit our Where To Start page to help determine your needs. 

Please call CTC or stop in our office for help with:

After Hours Contacts

After Hours Contacts:

Counseling Services

We offer confidential counseling services to currently enrolled UWL students. To get started, call or stop in to make an appointment. Read below for information on ADHD Assessments.


  • At your first appointment (20-50 minutes depending on the type of appointment) of the academic year, we will ask you to review and complete forms.  These forms must be completed before meeting with the counselor which will help us understand your concerns and help you understand the counseling process.
  • The counselor at this appointment will discuss your situation and determine what counseling or academic skill building service(s) could be most helpful.  Continued services include individual and group options.


  • To cancel or reschedule an appointment, just call or stop in at least 24 hours before your appointment.   You can also review or cancel an appointment at our confidential and secure Online Patient Portal.


  • Personal Counseling:  to get help with resolving conflicts, solving problems, handling crisis situations, making decisions, understanding self, understanding others, and developing better coping skills.  They also come in to address concerns about their own or a friend's alcohol or drug use, eating disorders, depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts and so much more.


The CTC is not currently offering ADHD assessments, though we provide treatment and consultation regarding a number of student concerns that may overlap with an ADHD diagnosis. If you are interested in pursuing a formal assessment, view this list of community providers who may be able to provide ADHD-related assessments. One of our providers can also meet with you to help you learn what to consider when preparing for an assessment and finding the right provider.

If you have already been diagnosed with ADHD and have questions about accommodations, please contact the ACCESS Center located at 124 Wimberly Hall or visit the ACCESS Center page


Testing Services

Placement and Computer-Based Tests

For test registration or test process questions please visit our Testing Page or contact the Testing Coordinator, Criss Gilbert, at

For further information on computer-based tests visit the Testing Center page.

Visit the  Placement Testing page for information on University of Wisconsin placement tests. 

If you are a UWL student with concerns of test anxiety check out our Self-Help Resources or make a counseling appointment.

For UWL classroom test accommodations contact the ACCESS Center.

UWL Counseling and Testing Center provides an affirming space for discussions on the impact of violence and injustice. We recognize that current events, such as the continued violence and murders of BIPOC (black and indigenous people of color)and hate crimes directed at the AAPI (Asian American Pacific Islander) communityaffect our campus and the communities to which students and their loved ones belong. Trauma experienced, whether directly or vicariously, has negative effects on one’s psychological well-being.  While we recognize that students may have other preferred supportive spaces, please know that we are another resource available for support.

We know that for our statement to have meaning, we have to fully commit to use our power and privilege to be agents of change in our campus and community. This commitment means conscientious work to understand racism and white supremacy's entrenchment in our social and educational systems, to understand our role in these systems, and to learn how to transform these systems in our work.  

Emergency & on-campus resources

Emergency Resources 

  • Off-Campus EMERGENCY: 911
  • On Campus EMERGENCY: 608.789.9999 (UWL Police)
  • UW Mental Health Support 24/7: call/text 888.531.2142
    • UWL Mental Health Crisis and Emotional Support for UWL Students.

On Campus Resources

  • ACCESS Center: 608.785.6900
    • Help with accommodations for students with disabilities
  • Center for Transformative Justice: 608.785.5094
    • Support with belonging on campus and reporting a hate or bias incident.
  • Student Life608.785.8062
    • Resource for students in distress and needing resources, faculty with concern about a student disruption, help with meeting basic needs, and campus CARE team.
  • Student Health Center: 608.785.8558
    • Medical providers available for student health care needs including primary care, mental health, and same-day care. 
  • Violence Prevention: 608.785.5126
    • Confidential support and advocacy for anyone in the campus community who has experienced sexual assault, stalking, violence, abuse, or threats. 


More 24/7 Crisis Resources 

  • La Crosse County Mobile Crisis: 608.784.HELP (4357)
    • Local mental health support and evaluation of risk via phone and/or in person.
  • Suicide & Crisis Lifeline: 988
    • Nationwide mental health support and crisis intervention via phone, text, or chat. Veterans and other service members and their families, press 1 to be connected with specific supports. 
  • Trevor Lifeline: 866.488.7386
    • Crisis and emotional support for LGBTQ+ youth up to age 25.
  • The Steve Fund: Text 'STEVE' to 741741
    • Crisis and emotional support for students of color.
  • Text ‘Hopeline’ to 741741 
    • Nationwide text-based mental health support
  • Great Rivers 211 Helpline: 211 or 800.362.TALK (8255)
    • Local support and help in connecting with resources for meeting basic needs for food, housing, healthcare, childcare, etc.