- The University of Wisconsin English and Math placement tests are REQUIRED for new students attending UW La Crosse.
- At UWL, the Foreign Language Test is REQUIRED if you wish to enroll in Spanish, German or French language classes. For other UW System schools, check their specific policies.
- RETAKING the Foreign Language or English tests requires prior written approval from the department.
- Policy for RETAKING the Math Test varies by school. At UWL, the MOST RECENT TEST SCORE is used for placement, and the student:
- may retake the Math Test only once.
- must retake it on the UW La Crosse campus.
- must wait 30 days between your initial exam and any retest.
- must take an alternate form of the exam.
- SAMPLE TESTS
- For more information, visit the University of Wisconsin Center for Placement Testing site.
Placement Testing Options
Placement Testing Options (with dates)
Option 1: REGIONAL Group Testing (incoming freshmen or transfers)
- The 2017 Regional Placement Testing paper/pencil cycle has now completed.
- Registration for the 2018 cycle will open on or about February 1, 2018.
- Computer-based testing is available year round for an additional fee.
- For information go to University of Wisconsin Center for Placement Testing Registration and choose option 2, Computer-Based Testing.
- The tests are offered on all 26 UW System campuses, from March through June. Dates vary by campus.
- Choose the date and location most convenient for you.
- Print out the selected date and location of your test after you register.
- To change your date, return to the registration site.
- There are a variety of dates from March through June. Each campus sets their own test dates, but you can test on any UW campus and have scores sent to UWL.
- Register as soon as possible as some dates/sites fill quickly.
- When selecting your test date, check with coaches, music directors, etc., and look at your high school and personal calendars to ensure you have no conflicts.
- 26 different locations around Wisconsin including UW-La Crosse. There are also test sites located in Minneapolis and the Chicago area.
- Dates vary by test site.
- FEE: A placement test development fee will be added to your account at whatever University of Wisconsin campus you attend. There is an additional fee for the computer based delivery of the test.
- SCORING: If attending UWL, scores will be added to your WINGS record. Check other UW System schools for their policy.
- SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS: If you require accommodations due to a disability, DO NOT REGISTER ONLINE. If you need to request to take the placement tests under non-standard conditions due to a disability, send a letter from a teacher, counselor or principal (on high school letterhead) who will describe what accommodations are appropriate for you. Also include your address and telephone number, which site you wish to test at, as well as what campus you plan to attend in the fall. Send this information to Tim O'Connor, 1025 West Johnson Street, Madison, WI 53706.
- DELIVERY: paper and computer options
- Computer Based Testing option is available at Castle World Wide test centers (see registration site for details and locations). CWW maintains over 700 test centers across the US and worldwide (including UW La Crosse).
Option 2: INDIVIDUAL Private Testing (UWL Testing Center)
- Register online at REGISTER BLAST (must register at least 72 hours in advance of your desired test appointment). Choose Proctored Correspondence Exams (Paper/Pencil).
- All online registrations are final and no refunds will be given. We will reschedule your exam once for free, but you must contact our center in writing at least 24 hours before your scheduled exam.
- Upon successful registration, you will receive an email confirmation. IMPORTANT: If you do not receive an email confirmation, there may be a problem with your registration. Check that you entered a valid email address. Then check your spam folder. The confirmation email may be blocked by your spam blocker. If none of these conditions exist, please contact our Testing Center.
- DATES: Individual appointments are available daily, Monday - Friday, at 9:00 AM, 11:00 AM, & 2:00 PM.
- LOCATION: Counseling & Testing Center, 2106 Centennial Hall on the UWL campus.
- FEE: A placement test development fee will be added to your university bill during your first semester of enrollment. Individual private appointments incur an additional fee of $33.50 for the convenience of flexible scheduling and immediate scoring. Payment options for private individual appointments include VISA or MasterCard. All online registrations through RegisterBlast are final and no refunds will be given.
- SCORING: This option includes immediate hand scoring and entry of scores into your WINGS record.
- DELIVERY: Paper based
- RESCHEDULING: Please contact the UWL Testing Center in writing at least 24 hours before your scheduled exam and we will reschedule your exam once for free.
- You will receive an email reminder two days before your scheduled appointment date.
- Print your confirmation receipt and bring it with you on your test date.
Option 3: LOCAL/RESIDUAL Testing (admitted/currently enrolled UWL students)
- REGISTRATION: Register online at REGISTER BLAST. Next local test is Monday, January 22, 2018. You must register at least 72 hours in advance of the test.
- DATES: several test dates per year (see registration).
Spring Term local/residual test date is Monday, January 22, 2018.
Test times: Math at 4:00 pm, English at 6:00 pm, and Foreign Language at 8:00 pm.
- LOCATION: 1400 Centennial Hall (look for signs).
- FEE: There is no additional fee for this exam.
- SCORING: Test Scores generally take from 7 - 10 days to appear in your WINGS record.
- DELIVERY: Paper based
- RETAKING MATH TEST: You must self disclose at check-in if you are repeating the exam to ensure you receive an alternate form of the test.