Skip to main content

Accessibility menu

Skip to main content Skip to footer

Consultations & Referrals

A page within Counseling & Testing

Referrals Out to the Community

Our center offers brief therapy and other mental health treatment to UWL students on a limited basis. If long-term, emergency, or specialized treatment is needed, we may suggest an outside community provider to better meet needs. In addition, some students choose to pursue treatment in the community instead of at CTC.  If seeking services with a community provider, our Case Manager can assist in getting connected, including help in obtaining or navigating health insurance, or finding low cost providers. 

Some students with or without insurance prefer to establish care on their own.  See La Crosse Area Counseling Referrals if you are looking for local services.  Also, you may want to check out this health insurance glossary for understanding the often confusing language of health insurance.

Students who are looking for a flexible, easy-to-use option to search for and connect with providers in the community can utilize MiResource.  Faculty, staff, and caregivers may also use it as a helpful tool to help students find care.  

Understanding your insurance

Contacting your health insurance provider
  1. Locate your insurance card and find your insurance provider's contact information on the back of the card. This could include a customer service phone number or assistance with benefit/referral information. 
  2. When you contact your provider, you will be asked for your Member ID and/or Group ID. If you don't have your Member ID, most companies can look you up by your account by name, date of birth, and/or social security number.
  3. Tell the insurance representative that you are looking for Behavioral Health or Mental Health. They may transfer you or provide you with a more accurate phone number to call. You may need to contact one number to verify benefit information and another for mental health referrals. Ask the following questions about your benefits:
    • Are mental health services covered by my insurance?
    • Is there a copay and what is it?
    • Is there a deductible, and how much of the deductible has already been met this year?
  1. For counseling or psychiatry, tell them you want outpatient mental health services. If you are looking for more intensive services like a hospitalization, tell them you need inpatient care.
  2. Most insurance companies will email you a list of providers in your area, talk you through the options for different providers, or direct you to their website to look on your own. Be sure to let them know the zip code of the areas that you want them to look under and any transportation limitations.
  3. If you are looking for services in the La Crosse area and your insurance company tells you that you are not covered in this area, tell them that you are a full-time college student in La Crosse.  They may be able to offer you a local referral option.
Searching health insurance websites
  1. Access your insurance company’s website. You can find this information on the back of your insurance card.
  2. If applicable, click on Members or Member Services.
  3. Fill in geographic information such as county (La Crosse), city (La Crosse), state (Wisconsin), zip code (54601 for La Crosse).
  4. Identify the type of provider that you would like to see. For counseling, choose Behavioral Health, Mental Health, Counseling, Clinical Social Work, or Psychology. For medication management, you would choose Psychiatry within Mental Health or Behavioral Health. If these are not options, please look under Specialty Providers.
  5. Keep in mind that online resources may not be reliable as the customer service provider on the 800 number. If you have a question, don't be afraid to call and ask!
Health insurance websites


Dean Health Plan

Blue Cross Blue Shield 

WEA Insurance Group

Health Tradition Plan

BadgerCare Plus (health care coverage program for low-income Wisconsin residents)

Consulting Services

The Counseling & Testing Center (CTC) provides consulting services to the UWL community. This includes:

  • Consultation with faculty, advisors, or residence hall staff about ways to address particular student problems, and identifying and referring distressed students to campus services.
  • Consultation with student leaders and organizations regarding team building, group dynamics, leadership training, and effective communication.
  • Consultation with faculty, staff, and caregivers regarding student support and services at CTC.

Referrals to Our Center

When you become aware that a student is having personal or family problems, it is often useful to ask "Are you talking with anyone?" If you think that this person would benefit from a referral for counseling, and the individual is not currently getting counseling, it is usually best to express your concern and recommendation directly to the person. It is also generally better to suggest counseling and allow the student to make their own decision.  

If this person needs help accessing services, you can help them schedule an appointment. If you call or stop in on behalf of a student, identify yourself and explain to the Front Desk Staff that you are helping a student make an appointment; then allow the student to arrange an appointment time. The student can also schedule an appointment online through the online Patient Portal

  • Client confidentiality does not allow us to provide you with information about a student whom you have referred to us; but it is almost always appropriate for you to check back with the person, to see whether they have followed through on your recommendation. This communicates your continued interest and concern. 
  • Please remember that if you are concerned about a student and you are not sure how to proceed, call us.  We can help you determine an appropriate course of action.
  • If this is an emergency, please call 911 or campus police. If the student is experiencing a mental health crisis, CTC offers walk-in Urgent Care hours Monday-Friday, noon – 4 pm.  

Emergency & on-campus resources

Emergency Resources 

  • Off-Campus EMERGENCY: 911
  • On Campus EMERGENCY: 608.789.9999 (UWL Police)
  • UW Mental Health Support 24/7: call/text 888.531.2142
    • UWL Mental Health Crisis and Emotional Support for UWL Students.

On Campus Resources

  • ACCESS Center: 608.785.6900
    • Help with accommodations for students with disabilities
  • Center for Transformative Justice: 608.785.5094
    • Support with belonging on campus and reporting a hate or bias incident.
  • Student Life608.785.8062
    • Resource for students in distress and needing resources, faculty with concern about a student disruption, help with meeting basic needs, and campus CARE team.
  • Student Health Center: 608.785.8558
    • Medical providers available for student health care needs including primary care, mental health, and same-day care. 
  • Violence Prevention: 608.785.5126
    • Confidential support and advocacy for anyone in the campus community who has experienced sexual assault, stalking, violence, abuse, or threats. 


More 24/7 Crisis Resources 

  • La Crosse County Mobile Crisis: 608.784.HELP (4357)
    • Local mental health support and evaluation of risk via phone and/or in person.
  • Suicide & Crisis Lifeline: 988
    • Nationwide mental health support and crisis intervention via phone, text, or chat. Veterans and other service members and their families, press 1 to be connected with specific supports. 
  • Trevor Lifeline: 866.488.7386
    • Crisis and emotional support for LGBTQ+ youth up to age 25.
  • The Steve Fund: Text 'STEVE' to 741741
    • Crisis and emotional support for students of color.
  • Text ‘Hopeline’ to 741741 
    • Nationwide text-based mental health support
  • Great Rivers 211 Helpline: 211 or 800.362.TALK (8255)
    • Local support and help in connecting with resources for meeting basic needs for food, housing, healthcare, childcare, etc.