Second degree students
A graduate who has earned one baccalaureate degree at UWL and who subsequently becomes a candidate for a second baccalaureate degree must meet all core, professional and major requirements for the second degree and must earn at least 30 resident credits beyond the first degree. (Resident credits means credit registered for and earned through UWL.)
Graduates from another institution:
Students with a previously earned baccalaureate degree from another regionally accredited institution must meet all core, professional and major requirements for the second degree and must earn at least 30 resident credits beyond the first degree. (Resident credits means credit registered for and earned through UWL.)
All second degree candidates:
All general education requirements have been satisfied by students who have earned their first baccalaureate degree. UW System policy requires that every student complete an ethnic studies course. If this was not done as part of the first degree, it must be fulfilled for the second degree. Students cannot earn a second baccalaureate degree in the same major (different emphasis) as their first baccalaureate degree.
How to apply
- You will need to apply to UW-La Crosse through the UW System Online Application.
- Tip: When you get to the section titled “Reason for Applying,” select “2nd Undergraduate Degree."
- The UW System also has a helpful document as well as a set of "Video Hints"outlining application procedures.
- Students who already have a college degree and desire to undertake further study to earn a second undergraduate major, to qualify for teaching certification, or to remove deficiencies, must complete the first two pages of the UW System application and submit one official transcript of all previous college work.
Second major or minor policy
A graduate who has earned one baccalaureate degree at UW-L, who wishes to complete the requirements for another major and/or minor, must meet all professional and major/minor requirements. A notation will be made on the student’s transcript that an additional major/minor has been completed. Students with demonstrated evidence of a previously earned baccalaureate degree from another regionally accredited institution, who wish to complete the requirements for another major/minor at UW-L, must enroll as a special non-degree student and fulfill all professional and major/minor requirements. If all required courses are earned in residence, a notation will be made on the student’s transcript indicating an additional major/minor has been completed.
Note: Seeking a second-degree is different than seeking an additional major or minor. An additional major can be earned without fulfilling the requirements for a second degree. Thus, students do not have to be degree-seeking to obtain an additional major or minor, but they are required to be degree-seeking to earn another degree.
Credits and approval
Students wishing to use credits from their first degree to fulfill requirements of a second degree must obtain approval from the dean of the college in which they are enrolled.
College of Business Administration: 138 Wimberly HallCollege of Liberal Studies: 260 Morris HallCollege of Science and Health: 205 Graff Main Hall
Links to other UWL organizations/services:
- Academic Advising Portal
- Academic department contact information
- ACCESS Center
- Campus Child Center
- Campus Map/Building Information
- Cashier's Office
- Financial Aid
- General Education Program (undergraduate students only)
- Office of University Graduate Studies
- Student Life
- Eagle ID/student ID card