Special/Non-degree students

Important message from the Records & Registration Office

Due to the health emergency, all staff in the Records and Registration Office will be working remotely during normal business hours until further notice. Please contact us using our email at records@uwlax.edu. If you do call our number, please leave a message and your call will be returned either by email or phone as soon as possible.

In addition, we can no longer take transcript requests in person. Please order electronically. Current students may use the Official Transcript link in their WINGS Student Center. Former students may use the "Order a Transcript Now" link on our Transcript page. The link to the Transcript page is below this message. 

There will be a delay in processing the transcript requests for students who attended UWL prior to 1991. These transcripts may take 1-2 weeks to be mailed. Transcript requests sent in the mail will also take 1-2 weeks for processing.

Special/non-degree students

  • a student at another university looking to enroll at UW-La Crosse for the summer or winter term only and plan to return to your home university;
  • an individual desiring to audit or take courses for credit, but do not expect to earn a degree from UW-La Crosse;
  • an individual looking to take classes toward a graduate program for which you need to complete additional prerequisites; or
  • a high school student looking to take college courses, including Early College Credit Program participants

Students may later change to an undergraduate degree-seeking student provided they submit complete transcripts of previous work and meet admission requirements. Courses completed as a special non-degree student at UW-La Crosse will then be evaluated for credit. If regular degree-seeking undergraduate status is achieved by following this procedure, no student will be allowed to revert to a special non-degree status to avoid conforming to any prescribed course of study.

Students disqualified for entrance or continuance at another collegiate institution are not eligible to enroll as special non-degree students at UW-La Crosse.

Students who already have a college degree and desire to undertake further study to earn a second undergraduate major, to qualify for teaching certification, or to remove deficiencies, must complete the first two pages of the UW System application and submit one official transcript of all previous college work.

Apply to UW-La Crosse through the UW System Online Application as a “special/non-degree seeking student.” Check out the Admissions page for more information.