Posted 2:02 p.m. Monday, Oct. 3, 2022
As the winter months approach, HR is reminding employees about our Inclement Weather Plan.
UWL implements its Inclement Weather Plan when conditions make travel dangerous or other events cause serious safety concerns. During deteriorating weather conditions, it should be assumed that scheduled activities will continue unless an official announcement is made via University Communications and University Police. Those who travel to or from campus should use their judgment as to whether or not such travel is wise.
- Most students live on or near campus so they do not have to travel long distances to campus.
- Many students depend on university services (dining, exercise, etc.) that would be affected with closure.
- Unlike K-12 schools, university students are adults who can make reasonable decisions about their safety.
- The university can't schedule additional days to make up for lost class time, as K-12 schools do.
- Students pay for their education through tuition and have a right to attend classes they have paid for.
- Faculty and instructional academic staff have the ability to individually make decisions about whether to hold class or make other accommodations due to weather.
When the plan is implemented, employees, students and others should look to the following for changes to the regular university schedule:
- university's home page
- email to all employees and students via university email accounts
- social media venues (Facebook and Twitter)
- updates via phone and email from UWL Alert
- campus-wide monitor system in academic buildings
- local media, on air and via their websites. These include:
- TV-8, WKBT http://www.news8000.com
- TV-19, WXOW http://www.wxow.com
- TV-25, WLAX http://www.fox2548.com
- Midwest Family Radio http://www. familyradioinc.com
- La Crosse Radio Group http://www.lacrosseradiogroup. net
- La Crosse Tribune http://www.lacrossetribune.com
- Wisconsin Public Radio https://www.wpr.org/whla-fm-903-la-crosse
Inclement Weather Policy for university faculty and staff
University employees should consult the university's Inclement Weather Policy [http://www.uwlax.edu/Human-