The Physical Education Teaching is a practitioner-oriented program for professionals seeking additional expertise in physical education teaching. Emphasis is placed on current national trends and issues throughout the curriculum.
The program offers emphases in Adventure Education and Adapted Physical Education Teaching. Students can also choose not to have an emphasis.
- The Adventure Education emphasis is designed as a practitioner-oriented program for physical educators seeking specific expertise in the area of adventure/outdoor pursuits. Assistantships available for Adventure Graduate Students.
- The Adapted Physical Education emphasis is designed for educators interested in teaching, leadership, and supervisory roles in adapted physical education
Students may select a thesis or non-thesis option. The thesis option includes courses in research methods and statistics and a six-credit thesis project. The non-thesis option requires a research method and an assessment courses. Students choosing the non-thesis option must also successfully complete a project.
Assistantships are available for qualified students to teach physical education in area schools, in basic physical activity courses at UWL, and for students interested in pursuing graduate study.
Waivers: There are limited waivers for out of state students. These waivers are awarded off set out of state tuition.
Physical Education Teaching Graduates are Prepared to:
- enrich and provide leadership for school physical education curriculum and instructional process
- teach/coach in PK-12 settings
- teach/coach at the college/university level
- pursue advanced degrees in physical education and pedagogy
- increase instructional effectiveness
- apply research related to effective teaching and instructional program development
- lead outdoor adventure trips
- direct challenges courses
Physical Education Teaching Graduates Are Employed As:
- college/university instructors and coaches
- college/university student teacher supervisors
- PK-12 department chairpersons
- physical education teachers/coaches
- adventure guides
- ropes course directors
Rolling admissions in this program.