What is The ACCESS Center? expanding section

The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is committed to providing equal educational opportunities for all students. Students who have disabilities are offered a variety of services to ensure that both facilities and programs on our campus are accessible. The ACCESS Center assists students in obtaining reasonable academic accommodations at the university.

Who can use The ACCESS Center? expanding section

Any student with a documented disability (e.g. ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Acquired Brain Injury, PTSD, Physical, Sensory, Psychological, or Learning Disability) who needs to arrange academic accommodations must contact The ACCESS Center (165 Murphy Library, 608-785-6900, ACCESSCenter@uwlax.edu) and meet with an advisor to register and develop an accommodation plan.

What information do I need to provide to The ACCESS Center in order to receive accommodations? expanding section

Any student who requests accommodations through The ACCESS Center will have to provide documentation of their disability. Typically we ask that documentation is no more than three years old. Documentation can be in the form of an evaluation report from your school psychologist, a report from your physician, psychologist or psychiatrist. Please refer to the section labeled Disability Documentation on the left menu bar for further details on documentation guidelines.

What is the first step in the accommodation process? expanding section

Please see the section labeled Getting Started in the left menu bar.  This has instructions for how to register with the department, send us your documentation, and set up a meeting with your new ACCESS Center advisor.

I think I may have a disability, but I'm not sure. Does your office provide evaluations? expanding section

The ACCESS Center does not provide evaluations for disabilities. If you believe you may have a disability, we have many community resources that are available upon request.

  •  It is always a good idea to check with your insurance company to see if you are covered for an evaluation.
  •  The School Psychology graduate students on campus, along with their director Dr. Rob Dixon, can complete a learning disabilities evaluation for a small fee and send a copy of your report to The ACCESS Center with your written permission. To schedule a time, please contact Dr. Dixon at 608.785.8441.
  • Contact the Counseling and Testing Center to explore options for ADHD testing.
What laws protect college students with disabilities? expanding section

College students are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

Will my transcripts indicate that I used accommodations as a student while attending UW-La Crosse? expanding section

No, your transcripts will never show that you were a student with a disability that used accommodations through The ACCESS Center. All information provided to The ACCESS Center remains confidential unless you sign written permission for us to share that information.