A page within Student Affairs Administration and Leadership (Ed.D.)

Virtual Information Sessions

Want to learn more about our program? Join us at an information session next fall! Until then, connect with us individually at apply2saa@uwlax.edu.

Ed.D. Virtual Information Session: Click here

  • Friday, December 1 at 12:00 noon (CST)


The SAA program is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and meets the Council for the Advancement of Standards (CAS) requirements.

This degree is designed so that it can be completed in a three-year cohort program. Students begin their dissertation in the second year and may complete it during the third year. As that pace does not work for everyone, some students choose to complete the program in 3.5-4 years. Although students have 7 years from the time they begin courses to complete the degree, most students complete the program in 4 years or less.

Yes. The dissertation process will begin in the second year and be completed during the third year of the program.

Yes. All courses are online, and there is no residency requirement. We try to host a writer's retreat elective course each summer that students can complete in-person or virtually.

All courses are asynchronous by nature. Most courses offer optional virtual meetings with faculty or classmates.

Per UWL Graduate Studies policy, students who have completed all coursework required for a graduate degree but who are still working on required research, comprehensive exams, or terminal projects (thesis, capstone or other culminating graduate project) must register for GRC 799 for up to two semesters of continuous registration. (If students can complete their work in one semester, then only one semester is necessary. If students take more than one semester, they must take two and no more than two continuous semesters of GRC 799). Fees for GRC 799 will be equivalent to 1 in-state graduate credit each semester.

You can find this information on the Apply page. Please note that the priority deadline is December 15th. We admit one cohort per year. Cohorts begin coursework in late-May.

You have ten years from the start of your first course to complete your degree. Please go to the Graduate Catalog for more information about this policy.

Unfortunately, not at this time. This program is for individuals working in higher education who want to advance to upper level administrative positions such as a Director, Dean or Vice Chancellor. If, however, you work in a related professional setting and have related prior graduate work, you may be eligible for the program. Please contact apply2saa@uwlax.edu for additional information.

Depending on the coursework, you may be able to transfer 9 credits from other doctoral programs. Only courses that have been completed within ten years of your anticipated completion date can be considered for transfer credit. All transfer credits must be approved by the SAA faculty. For a course to be considered for transfer credits, the course must closely resemble a course in the SAA Ed.D. curriculum. You must submit a Transfer Credit Request Form for credits to be considered. For detailed information, please see the Transfer Credit Policy in the Graduate Catalog.

Decisions about allowing students into classes as a "special student" are done on a case by case basis. Please contact the Ed.D. program director if you are interested in requesting permission to take a particular SAA course.

Yes. Start by checking out the Financial Support page. In addition, you are strongly encouraged to explore opportunities through your employer and external agencies. In many cases, institutions offer tuition reimbursement or educational assistance programs for employees. This option is newly available for UWL employees.

The goal of this program is to prepare student affairs professionals for significant leadership roles at diverse institutions of higher education. A doctoral degree in student affairs provides the academic preparation necessary to complement significant professional experience in student affairs, opening doors to apply for such positions as Director, Dean, or Vice Chancellor/Vice President.

Ed.D. Information Sessions happen throughout the fall. To hear more about those, click on the "Prospective Students" link in the upper right-corner of this page.

Dec. 15, 2023 - Priority deadline for applications

Feb. 1, 2024 - Complete the FAFSA for financial aid considerations (including scholarship awards)

Late Feb 2024 - Prospective students are notified about the admissions decision

Mid March 2024 - Admitted students make their decision

Late April 2024 - Online orientation opens for new doctoral cohort

May 20, 2024 - Classes begin for 2024-2027 Ed.D. cohort