Financial Aid

A page within Student Affairs Administration and Leadership (Ed.D.)

Virtual Information Sessions

Want to learn more about our program? Join us at an information session next fall! Until then, connect with us individually at

Ed.D. Virtual Information Session: Click here

  • Friday, December 1 at 12:00 noon (CST)

Student Affairs Administration and Leadership (ED.D.)

Tuition and fees are subject to change every year. Please check the UWL Cost to attend page for updates.

Also refer to

  • On-campus program students pay on-campus tuition rates (includes segregated fees)
    • For most students, the stipend earned in a graduate assistantship or internship will be slightly more than the annual tuition costs.  
  • Online and blended program students pay online tuition rates (does not include segregated fees)
    • The current per credit rate for online tuition is $575 for M.S.Ed. and $700 for Ed.D. (Note: The same rates apply for all students regardless of their residency for tuition purposes)
  • Students are also responsible for the cost of textbooks, access to a computer, and steady Internet access.  We do make books available for free via our library wherever possible to reduce out-of-pocket costs.
  • The SAA contact for financial aid is Christina Hayes.
  • See Federal Student Aid for information about deferring undergraduate loans while enrolled in the SAA program. (Students qualify if enrolled at least half-time).
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Our financial aid institutional code is 003919. Do this as soon as you can after you accept the offer to join the SAA program.
  • To be eligible for Financial Aid, students must enroll in at least 5 credits per term.
  • Starting approximately April 15, financial aid awards will be mailed and students will have three weeks to return the award form if they wish to decline their awards. Spring and summer financial aid applications for online students are processed as they are received.
  • Students from Minnesota must apply for the Reciprocity Agreement tuition at the Cashier's website to avoid paying out-of-state residency fees.

SAA Need-based Grants (incoming students)

When we have the resources to do so, SAA offers need-based grants to incoming M.S.Ed. and Ed.D. students. Individual awards are for one year only, and have ranged from $250-3,000. 

Incoming students should file their FAFSA with UWL (code: 003919) by February 1. Awards are typically made in March, and when possible, we try to include awards in admissions offer letters. Priority in awarding grants is given to:     

  1. All incoming students who demonstrate financial need (UWL Financial Aid will provide information to SAA on applicants' financial need based on FAFSA) and who are in good academic standing (above a 3.0 GPA). 
  2. On-campus students who did not receive an out-of-state tuition waiver, or received only a partial waiver, through UWL Graduate Studies or their employer.
  3. Students whose annual income is under $20K.  
  4. Students in online and blended programs, as they are not eligible for some of the scholarships/grants available to on-campus students.

Grants will be awarded to continuing students only if resources are still available after awards are made to incoming students. Grants are made in accordance with UWL Financial Aid policies. Please view the policies on UWL Financial Aid for more information.   

SAA-specific UWL Foundation Scholarships (continuing students)

  • Continuing students can apply for specific SAA scholarships through the UWL Foundation Scholarship Site. Enter "SAA" in the search field and hit enter. Awards range in amount up to $1,000. Some funds are only available to continuing students in the on-campus master's program.  The deadline is February 1.

Additional Resources

  • Wisconsin residents from traditionally underrepresented minority and non-minority groups (African American, American Indian, Latinx, designated Southeast Asian) and/or economically disadvantaged students are encouraged to apply for AOP Grants
  • Students who are already working in higher education or student affairs (online students) are encouraged to check into tuition reimbursement programs through their employers.

Financial assistance for graduate students

UWL will pay the graduate school application fee for McNair Scholars.  To receive this benefit, request an application fee payment form from your undergraduate McNair Scholars contact or download a copy.

When completing the UW System application, simply skip the application fee payment section.  Completed fee forms should be emailed directly to UWL Graduate Admissions or mailed to the address below.  Once we receive your form, your application will be updated in our system to confirm the payment requirement has been completed.

Graduate Admissions Office
1725 State Street
La Crosse, WI 54601

UWL employees should inquire about the possibility of the Employee Educational Assistance Program covering parts of tuition. Employees must be in at least 0.50 FTE positions. Graduate assistants are not covered by this policy. 

You can explore scholarship resources linked below. You must complete the FAFSA to be considered for some of these scholarships.

AOP Grants recognize strong academic achievement and potential among newly admitted or continuing students who show financial need. These grants provide graduate tuition support for eligible Wisconsin residents for tuition purposes from traditionally underrepresented minority and non-minority groups (African American, American Indian, Latinx, designated Southeast Asian) and/or economically disadvantaged students in advanced degree programs.  Award recipients must be US citizens or permanent residents. Finally, AOP awards are competitive and need-based (FAFSA required). 

Receiving an AOP award will require Wisconsin residency for tuition purposes, so please be sure to answer the eApp questions related to residency very carefully if you intend to apply for AOP. 

AOP applications will be accepted starting in October of each academic year and evaluated in March; notifications of awards will be sent by late March. Contact Graduate & Extended Learning for more information.

UWL has a dedicated office for veteran services to help navigate the process of transitioning from military to university life.  This office is also a great resource for financial information related to veteran educational benefits. Visit the Veteran Services website for more detailed information.

Some veteran benefits require Wisconsin residency for tuition purposes, so please be sure to answer eApp questions related to residency very carefully if you intend to use veteran benefits to help fund your graduate studies. 

Graduate students may have eligibility to borrow under the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and/or the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan programs to assist with the cost of their attendance. Both programs require a completed FAFSA.  While UWL encourages students to only borrow ‘what they need’, loans are available to ease the burden of paying for graduate education and can be a worthwhile investment. Visit the Financial Aid website for more detailed information.

Students who need additional funds for education, beyond what was awarded on their financial aid award letter, might consider a private student loan. These loans are private educational loans from a lender and are not guaranteed by the federal government. Approval of a private student loan is based on creditworthiness. Most students will require a co-signer.

The Office of Student Life has compiled a wide range of resources related to supporting students facing financial difficulties and other challenges. Many of these apply most directly to on-campus students. There are also emergency funds available to support students impacted by COVID-19, whether they are enrolled in on-campus, online, or hybrid programs.