Financial Aid

A page within Student Affairs Administration, Master of Science in Education (M.S.Ed.)

Virtual Information Sessions

Want to learn more about our program? Join us for a virtual information session next fall! Until then, connect with us individually at

M.S.Ed. Virtual Information Sessions: Click here

  • Monday, December 11 at 7:30 pm (CST)

Student Affairs Administration, Master of Science in Education (M.S.Ed.)

Tuition and fees are subject to change every year. Please check the UWL Cost to attend page for updates. The best source of information is Financial Aid,  as they prepare an SAA-specific Know Your Cost to Attend.

  • Online and blended (at UWL or online) students all pay the same online tuition rates (does not include segregated fees)
    • The current per credit rate for tuition is $575 for M.S.Ed. and $700 for Ed.D. (Note: The same rates apply for all students regardless of their residency for tuition purposes)
  • Students are also responsible for the cost of textbooks, access to a computer, and steady Internet access. We make books available for free via our library wherever possible to reduce out-of-pocket costs.
  • The SAA contact for financial aid is Christina Hayes.
  • See Federal Student Aid for information about deferring undergraduate loans while enrolled in the SAA program. (Students qualify if enrolled at least half-time).
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Our financial aid institutional code is 003919. Complete by February 1, or as soon as possible, for full consideration for need-based grants from the department.
  • To be eligible for Financial Aid, students must enroll in at least 5 credits per term.

SAA Need-based Grants (incoming students)

When we have the resources to do so, SAA offers need-based grants to incoming M.S.Ed. and Ed.D. students. Individual awards are for one year only, and have ranged from $250-3,000. 

Incoming students should file their FAFSA with UWL (code: 003919) by February 1. Awards are made in March, and we try to include awards in admissions offer letters for incoming students. Priority in awarding grants is given to those with significant unmet need.     

Grants will be awarded to continuing students only if resources are still available after awards are made to incoming students. Grants are made in accordance with UWL Financial Aid policies. Please view the policies on UWL Financial Aid for more information.   

SAA-specific UWL Foundation Scholarships (continuing students)

Continuing students can apply for specific SAA scholarships through the UWL Foundation Scholarship Site. Enter "SAA" in the search field and hit enter. Awards range in amount up to $1,000. The deadline is February 1.

Additional Resources

  • Wisconsin residents from traditionally underrepresented minority and non-minority groups (African American, American Indian, Latinx, designated Southeast Asian) and/or economically disadvantaged students are encouraged to apply for AOP Grants
  • SAA also sponsors travel grants of up to $200, available each fall.
  • Students who are already working in higher education or student affairs (online students) are encouraged to check into tuition reimbursement programs through their employers.

Financial assistance for graduate students

UWL will pay the graduate school application fee for McNair Scholars.  To receive this benefit, request an application fee payment form from your undergraduate McNair Scholars contact or download a copy.

When completing the UW System application, simply skip the application fee payment section.  Completed fee forms should be emailed directly to UWL Graduate Admissions or mailed to the address below.  Once we receive your form, your application will be updated in our system to confirm the payment requirement has been completed.

Graduate Admissions Office
1725 State Street
La Crosse, WI 54601

AOP Grants recognize strong academic achievement and potential among newly admitted or continuing students who show financial need. These grants provide graduate tuition support for eligible Wisconsin residents for tuition purposes from traditionally underrepresented minority and non-minority groups (African American, American Indian, Latinx, designated Southeast Asian) and/or economically disadvantaged students in advanced degree programs.  Award recipients must be US citizens or permanent residents. Finally, AOP awards are competitive and need-based (FAFSA required). 

Receiving an AOP award will require Wisconsin residency for tuition purposes, so please be sure to answer the eApp questions related to residency very carefully if you intend to apply for AOP. 

AOP applications will be accepted starting in October of each academic year and evaluated in March; notifications of awards will be sent by late March. Contact Graduate & Extended Learning for more information.

Visit our Graduate Assistantships page for information. 

You can explore scholarship resources linked below. You must complete the FAFSA to be considered for some of these scholarships.

UWL employees should inquire about the possibility of the Employee Educational Assistance Program covering parts of tuition. Employees must be in at least 0.50 FTE positions. Graduate assistants are not covered by this policy. 

UWL has a dedicated office for veteran services to help navigate the process of transitioning from military to university life.  This office is also a great resource for financial information related to veteran educational benefits. Visit the Veteran Services website for more detailed information.

Some veteran benefits require Wisconsin residency for tuition purposes, so please be sure to answer eApp questions related to residency very carefully if you intend to use veteran benefits to help fund your graduate studies. 

Graduate students may have eligibility to borrow under the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and/or the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan programs to assist with the cost of their attendance. Both programs require a completed FAFSA.  While UWL encourages students to only borrow ‘what they need’, loans are available to ease the burden of paying for graduate education and can be a worthwhile investment. Visit the Financial Aid website for more detailed information.

Students who need additional funds for education, beyond what was awarded on their financial aid award letter, might consider a private student loan. These loans are private educational loans from a lender and are not guaranteed by the federal government. Approval of a private student loan is based on creditworthiness. Most students will require a co-signer.

The Office of Student Life has compiled a wide range of resources related to supporting students facing financial difficulties and other challenges. Many of these apply most directly to on-campus students. There are also emergency funds available to support students impacted by COVID-19, whether they are enrolled in on-campus, online, or hybrid programs.