Human subjects review Institutional Review Board (IRB)
Help With Human Subjects Review
The Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs provides administrative oversight to the Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Subjects, its Executive Committee, and its chair. The IRB's function is to review research protocols for the use of human subjects in research (funded or non-funded) proposed by faculty, staff and students of UWL.
The functions of the Research and Sponsored Programs Office, relative to human subject review, include providing certification of approval to sponsors and advising investigators and departments on policies and procedures. A guide and necessary forms for submission of proposals to the IRB are available from the links below. The office is in 243 Graff Main Hall and can be contacted via phone at 608.785.8044 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Protocols are submitted electronically to email@example.com. All items of the narrative statement (page 10) must be numbered to correspond to each specific IRB requirement. Complete instructions are available below in the A Researcher's Guide for Submission of Protocols - protocols must meet the submission requirements. Forms with signatures must be scanned and electronically inserted into your submission document. All materials should be submitted in one continuous PDF file. Please see page 11 of A Researcher's Guide for Submission of Protocols for details.
Required Online Training Course
IRB Guidelines and Forms
- A Researcher's Guide for Submission of Protocols
- Attachment A - Application for University IRB Review
- Having trouble with the pdf version? Click here for a Word.doc version.
- Attachment B - IRB Determination Form (for Federal Funding Agencies)
- Attachment C - UWL IRB Progress Report Form
- Samples of Informed Consent
- Operating Guidelines and Organizational Policies
Guidance on UWL Faculty, Students, and Staff as Participants
The IRB Committee is scheduled to meet on the following dates in 325 Graff Main Hall at 8:45 a.m. However, the schedule is subject to change at the discretion of IRB Committee.
|Protocol Submission Deadlines (Full Review)||IRB Meetings|
|September 15, 2017||September 22, 2017|
|October 13, 2017||October 20, 2017|
|November 10, 2017||November 17, 2017|
|February 2018 - TBA||February 2018 - TBA|
|March 2018 - TBA||March 2018 - TBA|
|April 2018 - TBA||April 2018 - TBA|
During the academic year, September to early May:
- Full protocols submitted by the deadlines are expected to be reviewed at the next IRB meeting. Please see the meetings schedule.
- Expedited and exempt protocols are reviewed on an ongoing basis. Review decisions are generally made within three to four weeks of protocol submission.
During the summer, mid-May to August:
- Full protocol review is subject to committee availability. It is not recommended.
- Expedited and exempt protocol review is completed monthly. Review decisions may take up to six weeks following protocol submission.
|Name||Department (College)||Expiration Date||Comments|
|Sandy Grunwald||IRB Administrator||N/A||ex-officio, non-voting|
|Stephen Brokaw||Marketing (CBA)||August 2018||First 3-year term|
|Adam Driscoll||Sociology (CLS)||August 2019||First 3-year term|
|Mary Hamman||Economics (CBA)||August 2020||Second 3-year term|
|Christine Hippert||Archaeology/Anthropology (CLS)||August 2018||First 3-year term|
|Dena Huisman||Communicaiton Studies (CLS)||August 2018||First 3-year term|
|Michael Kennedy||Community Representative||August 2020||First 3-year term|
|Peg Maher||Biology (CSAH)||August 2020||Second 3-year term|
|Patricia Markos||IPSE (SOE)||August 2020||Second 3-year term|
|Dawn Norris||Sociology (CLS)||August 2019||First 3-year term|
|Gregory Ormes||Communication Studies (CLS)||August 2019||First 3-year term|
|Allison Sauppe||Computer Science (CSAH)||August 2019||First 3-year term|
|Bart Van Voorhis||IRB Coordinator, Psychology (CLS)||N/A||ex-officio, non voting|