Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about my faculty advisor expanding section

Q: How do I know who my faculty advisor is?

A: You can check to see who you've been assigned as your faculty advisor through WINGS. Alternatively, you can stop by the department and ask the program assistant. 

Q: When am I supposed to meet with my faculty advisor?

A: You should meet with your faculty advisor before you register for courses each semester. Although you have access to your Academic Requirements (AR) report through WINGS, you should still see your advisor each semester to make sure you meet prerequisites and take courses in the proper sequence.

Questions about transferring courses to UW-La Crosse expanding section

Q: If I'm transferring from another university with some general education courses, will these satisfy some of my general education requirements at UW-La Crosse?

A: You should make an appointment with the department chair and bring a copy of the syllabus from the other university. If the course is similar to the one taught at UWL, the general education course from another university can usually be transferred. You can also check out the Transfer Wisconsin information to get a good idea of how courses will transfer. 

Q: If I'm transferring with a philosophy course from another university, will this course satisfy the Department requirement at UW-La Crosse?

A: You should make an appointment with the department chair and bring a copy of the syllabus from the other university. If the course is similar to the one taught in the department at UWL, the course from another university can usually be transferred as the equivalent PHL course.

Questions about declaring a major in Philosophy expanding section

Q: How do I go about declaring a major in Philosophy? 

A: In order to declare a philosophy major, you must complete a major declaration form in the College of Liberal Studies Office. You may meet with a faculty member in the philosophy department for assistance completing the form before you return it to the College of Liberal Studies Office.

Students declaring philosophy as a major should take PHL 100 (3 cr.) and PHL 101 (3 cr.) as soon as possible, since they are pre-requisites for some of the other philosophy major courses. Once you have declared, you will also be able to register for some classes that are restricted to majors only.

Questions about minoring in Philosophy expanding section

Q: How do I declare a minor in Philosophy

A: In order to declare a minor in this program, you need to go to College of Liberal Studies Office and complete a "change of program" form. There are no minimum requirements for declaring a minor in these programs. See the following links for more information on declaring a minor in philosophy.

Questions about registration/overrides for classes expanding section

Q: What if the class I want is filled? Can I get an override?

A: If there is a wait list in WINGS for the class, follow the instructions in WINGS to add your name to the wait list. Each instructor in the department handles overrides differently. Some instructors keep waiting lists, others give preference to majors and/or seniors, while others ask you to come the first day of class. Your best bet is to contact the instructor of the course directly to determine the appropriate method for obtaining an override.

Q: How do I register for classes that require permission?

A: Some courses, such as PHL 496, require instructor consent and you cannot register for those courses online. If you are interested in a course that requires permission, you can pick up forms and instructions in the department office or talk to a faculty member about the process.

Questions about career options expanding section

Philosophy majors go on to careers in a number of different areas, including law, business, journalism, and the health professions.  Check out what some of our alumni are doing now! 

To begin planning for career opportunities post-graduation, we recommend that you meet with your advisor and contact Career Services.  Career Services can help you find internship opportunities that will allow you to transition directly from college into the workforce.

Questions about law school expanding section

Employment in the legal professions is a popular choice for philosophy majors. Not a surprise: philosophy majors are trained to develop and defend arguments on some of the most difficult topics imaginable!

If you are interested in law school, you will need to complete the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT) and register with the Law School Admissions Council (LSAC) in order to complete your application.

Questions about graduate school expanding section

Graduate school in philosophy is extremely competitive: PhD programs in philosophy are highly selective, and not all students who complete a PhD in philosophy are able to find full-time academic employment. Nonetheless, graduate school in philosophy is right for some students.

Other graduate programs may be less competitive, and can further prepare you for your career. Philosophy majors tend to do well in MBA programs, interdisciplinary Masters in Humanities programs, and even - depending on your background and interests - medical school and nursing programs.

If you are interested in continuing your education after you graduate from UW-L, please contact your faculty advisor.


Highlighted faculty and what they are doing now.