Textbook Rental Services
New course material adoption requests for Textbook Rental Services must be submitted on the order form.
New course material adoption requests for Textbook Rental Services need to be designated as either "PRI" for a primary-textbook course or "MUL" for a multiple-textbook course. There is no cap on the price of a "PRI" textbook. There is a $100 policy limitation on the price of materials for "MUL" textbook courses. The $100 includes ALL materials used for the course that were purchased within the last three years, not just the price of the new text requested. Note: If approved, the text(s) must be used for a minimum of three years, possibly longer.
All new course material adoption requests for Textbook Rental Services MUST be signed by the department Chairperson before they will can be reviewed and considered.
The form for new course material adoptions for the University Bookstore can be found on their website. Notes for completing the form:
- Instructors must complete one adoption form per section.
- More than one title can be entered on the form for a specific class.
- Use the 13 digit ISBN for the book that is being requested.
- The form contains two options for student purchase. Either "required" or "recommended" must be chosen.
- If a book will not be used for a graduate level course, check the “No Books Required For This Course” box.
- If a book is out of print, the department will be notified to choose the updated edition of the book if available. The University Bookstore does not carry out of print titles in its inventory.
Once the form is completed and submitted, these materials will be ordered and available for undergraduate and graduate students to purchase in the University Bookstore as requested. Adoption forms for the University Bookstore must be completed each term; they do not carry over from term to term.
Review and Approval Process
1. Instructors have until close of business on the second Friday in March(before Spring recess) for Summer and Fall terms, and the Friday three weeks after course schedules are due for Winter and Spring terms, to submit Textbook Rental Services adoption requests. Any rental adoptions received after that date will be considered last, based on the availability of remaining funds within the budget.
2. All rental adoption requests will be reviewed individually and prioritized per the policy. Not all of the rental adoption requests submitted will be approved as they may not qualify or they may be denied due to limited resources available.
3. Instructors will be notified on or before the textbook rental due date of the current term, of the status of requests (approved or not approved) for the following term so that plans can be made accordingly.
a.) If approved, instructors should order a desk copy immediately and track its arrival to ensure it is received in plenty of time to prepare for the course(s). New orders will be placed to arrive in time for the start of classes. Email notifications will be sent when new texts arrive or if they will arrive after classes begin. Instructors will be contacted by email when we are ordering your book(s) should Textbook Rental Services run into any unforeseen problems.
b.) If not approved, and an instructor need help selecting alternate textbooks from inventory, please contact Textbook Rental Services during business hours to assist.
4. After the data entry window closes on the Friday three weeks after course schedules are due, instructors will need to send an email to email@example.com each and every time a change is made to course materials, so the book list can be updated accordingly. Textbook Rental Services will notify the department by email on a weekly basis of all courses that were added into the system that do not have any course materials entered for the course in Wings.