General Questions

The English Department Pamphlet gives a lot of information in a few pages. It's downloadable as a pdf.

In most cases, sure. Many upper-level classes have only ENG 110 or a 200-level English course as a prerequisite. If a course piques your curiosity, go for it!

Overrides are granted at the discretion of individual instructors, whose policies vary greatly. For detailed suggestions on how to get an override, see our tips.

Questions about General Education Courses

Transfer Wisconsin

The Transfer Wisconsin website is maintained by the UW System.  If you are planning to transfer from a University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Technical College, or Wisconsin Tribal College system, use this site to find out how your credits transfer to UWL.  The Transfer Wisconsin site offers tools and a wealth of resources for you to take the next steps toward enrolling at UWL.


Transferology is a nationwide network designed to helps students answer the question of how their courses will transfer. Simply enter your courses to find equivalent courses at UWL or use the Transferology site to inform UWL about coursework that has not yet been evaluated.  Create a free user account and get started with discovering how your courses will transfer to UWL.

The following courses satisfy the "Humanistic Studies" requirement: ENG 200, Literature and Human Experience, is a general introduction to literature. Each instructor, however, chooses a different emphasis or unifying theme, so you should check the timetable to see what your options are. ENG 201 and 202 cover American Literature, before and after 1865, respectively. ENG 203 and 204 cover British Literature, before and after 1800, respectively. ENG 205 and 206 cover Western Literature, before and after the Renaissance, respectively. We encourage you to choose the course that is most likely to stimulate your curiosity and support your life goals.

Some 200-level courses satisfy other GE requirements. For example, ENG 220, Women and Popular Culture, falls under the "Self and Society" category, while ENG 207, 208, 210, and 215 fall under the "International and Multicultural Studies" category.

You may take another 200-level course to satisfy a second GE requirement. However, only 300- and 400-level courses count toward majors and minors.

Questions about the English Major

When you're ready to change your major to English, or to add an English minor, you can get a Change of Program Form from the College of Liberal Studies Office in 235 Morris Hall. You can file the petition any time before midterm. After that, you'll need to wait until the next semester. Don't feel pressured, however, to declare your major right away. Whereas education, business, and the sciences, for example, require an early decision, you have plenty of time to decide about becoming an English major. As long as you've taken ENG 110 and a 200-level course by the end of your second year, you'll be ready to pursue upper-level studies in English.

English teaches students to think critically about life issues and to communicate ideas clearly and persuasively. What employer would not want to hire someone with those skills? It's much easier to train new employees to use specialized equipment or software than it is to train them to think and write well.

Once you do the paperwork to declare yourself an English major, the department will assign you an adviser. However, if you know a faculty member you'd like to work with and he/she agrees, you can request to have this person be your adviser.

To find an internship, check with Career Services, watch for notices on bulletin boards, or even call an employer and offer your services as an intern. If you get an internship that involves substantial writing or other work related to English, you may want to earn credit under ENG 450, English Internship. You need to find a faculty member who's willing to monitor your work and verify that the work produced is appropriate for the number of credits (2-6) agreed upon. Grading for ENG 450 is pass/fail.

If you are minoring in Professional Writing, you will take ENG 452 (Professional Writing Practicum) simultaneously with your internship. 

During the semester before you plan to graduate, you need to meet with an adviser in the College of Liberal Studies to go over your SNAP report and verify that you're on target to graduate. You should also visit the graduation requirements site.