Skip to main content

Accessibility menu

Skip to main content Skip to footer

Frequently Asked Questions

A page within Screaming Eagles Marching Band

A scared drum major watching the football game

How do I sign up?

Signing up for marching band is actually pretty simple, but it can be a little difficult your first time.

Essentially, you'll first need to register for the marching band class (MUS 100) at freshman registration in June (current students can register during online class registration in WINGS). If you do not plan to enroll in the MUS 100 class for credit, contact the director. After enrolling in MUS 100, you'll also need to submit a separate SEMB Registration Form (with uniform measurements) by August 1st. Finally, you will complete a health form and bring it with you when you check-in for band camp in mid to late August.

Detailed information about signing up to join marching band can be found on the Registration page, which is active from early May up until the start of band camp in August. If you have any questions about the registration process, please don't hesitate to email the director at

By enrolling in the MUS 100 class and/or completing the SEMB Registration Form, we will send you additional information about marching band over the summer to your school email address. Because of this, it is critical that you activate your UWL email account as soon as you canNew student accounts can be activated by going to Once activated, access your email at If you have questions about activating your NetID/email account, contact ITS at or 608.785.8774.

Do I get credit?

Students in Marching Band receive 1 credit hour. If you want to be in band, but don't want to take the class for credit, email the director.

When does marching band start?

Marching Band Camp (aka Hell Week) starts a week before the start of fall classes. Students are able to move into their dorm room early. This provides students the opportunity to get acclimated to campus and make lots of friends before the semester begins. Make sure you check the band camp pages often for the latest camp related information. Color guard, drumline, and leadership will start band camp a little earlier than the rest of the band. Check the schedule for more specific dates.

What are the time requirements?

In addition to all performances, rehearsals during the fall semester are TUESDAY and THURSDAY from 7:45 – 9:40 AM. Our marching band season typically ends before Thanksgiving. This compensates students for their time and hard work. If you have a scheduling conflict with one of the performances, fill out a Schedule Conflict Form and get it to the director at the beginning of the season. 

What is a typical Saturday game day like?

Time Location
8:00am-11:00am Rehearse at Veterans Memorial Stadium
11:00am-12:00pm Lunch break (sack lunches provided)
12:00pm Step off for the stadium (parade down Badger Street)
12:15pm Perform at the L-Club tent
12:45pm Pre-game show at Veterans Memorial Stadium
1:00pm  The SEMB takes an active role in keeping the crowd into the game. In addition to playing our spirited pep songs you will learn the words to our traditional football cheers!!! We'll also perform a show at halftime, with a theme that is different each year.
4:00pm Parade back to CFA (exact time subject to length of football game)

What are our halftime shows like?

Depending on our football schedule, we put together 2-3 halftime shows. Our shows are a combination of contemporary and show band style. Some of our recent shows include: Music from the rock opera “Tommy”, “Chicago, the band”, “Pirates of the Caribbean”, “Latin Music”, rock music of the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s, "Party Rock Anthem", "Superheroes", music from the band "Journey", music from the band "Santana", and music from the band "Fall Out Boy". 

Do I need my own instrument?

We provide sousaphones, marching baritones, mellophones, piccolos, tenor and bari sax, and a full battery of Pearl percussion free of charge to rent. Other instruments are limited but possible. If you need an instrument please let us know in advance so we can be sure it’s in our inventory. Please email us with instrumental needs (except percussion). In addition to instruments, we also provide all equipment needed for color guard & poms members.

Is it necessary to store my instrument in my dorm room?

Don't want to keep your instrument in your dorm room? No problem! Lockers are available for rental the first day of band camp. Locker rental costs $10.00 per semester.

Do I have to audition?

All students are accepted into the marching band and color guard. Membership in the poms squad is by audition (usually in April and then again in September for incoming freshman or new students). Contact one of the poms section leaders for more information. Musical parts will be assigned by your section leader during band camp.

Do I have to be a music major or minor to participate?

Absolutely not! As a matter of fact, 75-80% of the marching band members are not music majors. They represent nearly every academic discipline offered on campus.

Are students from Western Technical College and Viterbo eligible to participate in the Screaming Eagles Marching Band?

YES!!  Absolutely!!  If you are interested you should contact the director and the Dean of Students at your institution.

It's my fourth (or fifth) year of college. Is it too late to join Marching Band?

Of course not! We welcome new members at any stage in their college career.

Still not convinced you want to join?

Marching band provides a great social experience, especially for freshmen. It’s a great way to make friends, meet other people with the same major, and even meet people from your hometown area. Participating in marching band enables you to move into your dorm room early, pick up your textbooks, make friends, and learn your way around campus before the rest of the freshmen arrive.

Studies show that if you don’t get involved your freshman year, you won’t join later on.

We take great pride in supporting our football team. We have a great rapport with the coaching staff and players. As a matter of fact, the football team attends our annual Marching Band review at the end of our season.

There is also a scholarship you can qualify for by being a SEMB member! Check with the UWL Foundation for more info.

I have another question! Where can I go to get an answer?

Contact your section leader, or email the SEMB director. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have!