Economics learning objectives
Learning outcomes for the economics major
Passed by Economics Department on April 23, 2010.
The economics major will demonstrate competency in critical thinking, problem solving, and communication skills.
Critical thinking skills
- Apply economic reasoning to explain social and economic events.
- Predict the impact of private and public proposals and changing market conditions on social welfare using economic models.
- Compare the models’ strengths and weaknesses in explaining outcomes.
Problem solving skills
- Identify and analyze an issue within the framework of economic models.
- Evaluate, critique, and formulate solutions to an identified problem.
- Communicate effectively the results of economic research and analysis to colleagues and decision-makers through written reports and oral presentations.