Click on any item above to get more information.
Don't know where to begin? Click on "You".

The UWL Advising Circle provides links to University-wide advising requirements and resources.  These requirements and resources may not necessarily meet specific teacher education program requirements and resources.  Please see your faculty advisor for questions regarding your teacher education requirements and helpful resources specific to teacher education.

Teacher Education Program Highlights & FAQ:

  • Major requirements
  • Minor requirements
    • Students Earning Middle Childhood - Early Adolescence (MC-EA) certification must declare a certifiable minor.
    • Students earning Early Childhood-Middle Childhood (EC-MC) certification are NOT required to declare a minor course of study.
  • 4-Year plan
    • Course sequence plans are specific to each teacher education candidate.  The student's faculty advisor can assist with the development of a semester-by-semester course plan for program completion.

How do I declare a major?

Students interested in completing a major in Early Childhood-Middle Childhood, Middle Childhood-Early Adolescence education, Art education, Music education (Choral, General, or Instrumental), Spanish education, French education, or German Studies education may declare the major by completing a "Change of Program/Plan" form in 260 Morris Hall.  The same form is used to change a major, add a minor, or change a minor.  The student's Advisement Report (AR) identifies the courses required to complete the declared major(s) and minor(s).

Because the Department of Educational Studies assigns faculty advisors based on a student's declared major and/or minor, completing the "Change of Program/Plan" form may also change the student's faculty advisor assignment.  Students are not allowed to change their major during the published registration period each semester.

How do I find my advisor information?

Students can find their faculty advisor assignment in their WINGS Student Center.  Students with a content major in Art education, Music education (Choral, General, or Instrumental), Spanish education, French education, or German Studies education may have more than one assigned faculty advisor. 

Requests for faculty advisor changes must be made through the Chair of the Department of Educational Studies in 335 Morris Hall.

How often will I meet with my advisor?

Students are required to meet with their assigned faculty advisor at least once each semester.  The Department of Educational Studies automatically places an advising hold on all student records prior to registration each semester.  The assigned faculty advisor will release the advising hold to permit the student to register for classes after the student has met with the assigned faculty advisor.

What do I do when I meet with my advisor?

When meeting with your faculty advisor, discussion will mainly center on your academic progress and specific courses needed for the next semester as well as future semesters.  The Advisement Report (AR) is the official document used by the University to identify all degree requirements for a specific program of study.  It is recommended that students and faculty advisors use the AR to assist with course identification and schedule planning.  In addition to the AR and with the assistance of the faculty advisor, students may complete a semester-by-semester course plan to ensure completion of degree requirements in a timely manner.  The plan will sequence required courses and assessments, including but not limited to, Basic Skills Testing, Praxis II, ACTFL Oral and Written Proficiency tests (Spanish education, French education, and German education), Foundations of Reading Test (Early Childhood-Middle Childhood, Middle Childhood-Early Adolescence, and Special Education only), pre-student teaching portfolio, post-student teaching portfolio, and edTPA.  

Faculty advisors serve as the primary academic resource for students and can direct students to a variety of other campus resources that are available to assist with a variety of non-academic issues.

How can I prepare for my advising meeting?

Students are highly encouraged to review their Advisement Report (AR) and identify a list of courses for the next semester prior to meeting with their faculty advisor.  Students may also create an advising folder that contains a variety of documents, including an unofficial transcript (available through the Student Center in WINGS), advising sheet with courses checked-off, and current course planner.  It is helpful also to have any questions or concerns written down to be sure the information is discussed and questions answered.  

What if I'm struggling academically or personally?

Students are highly encouraged to contact their faculty advisor or trusted faculty member as soon as you feel there is or potentially could be a problem academically or personally. 

Faculty will either work with you directly or refer you to another professional who is better trained or equipped to work with your situation.  It is important that students keep in touch with their faculty advisor or trusted faculty member regularly so that situations can be handled early (when they are smaller issues) than after situations have become overwhelming.  Remember no issue is too small to ask or talk about!

What if I'd like more of a challenge or a new experience?

Talk with your faculty advisor about your interest in undergraduate research or exploring related careers.

How do I apply for graduation?

Graduation is applied for electronically through your Student Center in WINGS.   Students are recommended to apply for graduation one year prior to your expected semester of graduation.  For teacher education students, this is the same semester when you submit your student teaching application.