The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse offers a variety of bands designed to meet the artistic and educational needs of UW-La Crosse students. Students from all academic disciplines are invited to participate in the band program. Membership in every band is open to any interested and qualified UW-La Crosse student.
Dr. J. Thomas Seddon IV, Conductor
The Wind Ensemble is dedicated to the performance of the finest traditional and contemporary wind band literature. This ensemble is open to all university students by audition. The ensemble provides students with the highest possible experience through the performance of great pieces of art. Literature is chosen with the student’s artistic development in mind. The Wind Ensemble performs at least two concerts each semester and participates on an annual concert tour. The band rehearses Monday and Wednesday from 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. in CFA 56.
2017 Audition Info:
Auditions for both the Orchestra and the Wind Ensemble will be held on September 4, 2017, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. in the Center for the Arts room 319.
- The sign-up sheet will be posted by August 1, 2017 on Dr. Seddon's door - Center for the Arts room 319.
- Audition materials should be downloaded and you should bring your copy of the music to the audition.
- Incoming Students: You need to register for either Orchestra or Wind Symphony when you do your Orientation and Registration Day visit. If you are not registered yet, we will help you when the Fall semester begins!
- Everyone should prepare the exerpts as marked on the PDFs for each instrument.
- Trumpets: you have two excerpts from the file provided. You will be doing the opening of Mahler's 5th Symphony and the Ballerina's Dance from Stravinsky's Pertouska..
- Percussion: We will have a meeting at 9:10pm on September 4th in Center for the Arts room 56. You should bring one of the following: mallet solo, timpani solo, or snare drum solo.
2017 Audition Materials:
Dr. Tammy Fisher, Conductor
The Symphonic Band is open to all UW-La Crosse students regardless of major. This group provides a challenging and rewarding atmosphere for anyone who wishes to continue playing without the stress of an audition. Although the Symphonic Band performs less difficult music emphasis is still placed on musical excellence. The band rehearses during the Spring Semester on Tuesday-Thursday from 4:45 – 6:15 p.m. in CFA 56.
Dr. Tammy Fisher, Director
The Screaming Eagles Marching Band (SEMB) is an exciting ensemble that energizes the spectators of UWL’s new state of the art football stadium. The ensemble captivates its audiences at regional exhibition performances and tears up the pavement as it marches down the street during parades. The SEMB has also performed at Green Bay Packer football games and special events in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Membership in the SEMB is open to all UWL, Viterbo University, and Western Technical College students!
Participation in the UWL Band program is open to all interested and qualified UW-La Crosse students regardless of major. Membership in the Wind Ensemble is determined by audition. Symphonic Band is open to all individuals on campus who wish to continue performing on their instrument. Audition information is available from the director for the Wind Ensemble prior to the beginning of each semester. Auditions will be conducted the day before the first week of classes begins for each semester.
Please see each band for 2017 audition materials and information
It is required that all students register for the band(s) in which they participate.
If a student does not own an instrument, one can be checked out from the university for the semester without charge. No instrument belonging to the University will be lent out without express written permission of an ensemble director. Eligibility for instrument loans are at the sole discretion of the ensemble directors. Please see your ensemble director or Sharon Shugrue (SShugrue@uwlax.edu) in CFA 124 for more information on the loan of an instrument.