Expand page menu
Skip to page menu

The Psychology Advising Center (the "PAC") is staffed by advising professionals and is available for appointments and walk-in hours. The PAC is located in 343GMH off the north corridor on the third floor.

Appointments arranged by email are the preferred meeting option (; however, a walk-in schedule is posted below and the phone is 608.785.6880.

Psychology major checksheet & choosing a minor expanding section

The requirements associated with major are most easily understood with this Psychology Major Checksheet that you can download. We recommend completing a new one every semester in order to best understand the program. We also recommend completing a graduation plan when you are two or three semesters away from completing your requirements.

The options associated with choosing a minor for students who are psychology majors are best illustrated with this downloadable Minor Decision Point document.
Common minors chosen by psychology majors include At-Risk Child & Youth CareGerontology (an emphasis rather than a minor), Biology, Sociology, Spanish, Communication Studies, Criminal Justice, Statistics, Ethnic & Racial Studies, and Women's Gender and Sexuality Studies.

How do I declare psychology as a major? expanding section
  1. Complete the online tutorial that will automatically submit your response to the Psychology Advising Center. Plan on at least 1 hour and be ready for built-in online quizzes on the material. If a student has earned 75+ credits and wishes to declare psychology as a first major, the student must also receive approval from the department chair by articulating a compelling reason why a major in psychology is necessary for the student's goals. A student may not declare psychology as a second major if they have already earned 75 credits.
  2. An advising professional from the Psychology Advising Center (PAC) will contact you after you have completed the tutorial to set up a face-to-face meeting.
  3. Receive an endorsed Psychology change of major form at your meeting with the advisor. Take the form to the College of Liberal Studies Office (260 Morris Hall) and turn it in along with the college's "Change of Major" form [often referred to as "the green sheet"]. Officially declaring the psychology major requires both forms. If you are adding psychology as a second major, please discuss the process with a PAC professional.
  4. Although you still may need to complete required coursework to be allowed full access to psychology courses, but the process described above results in Psychology being listed as your official major.
  5. After Psychology is your official major, you will be assigned a PAC advisor or a faculty advisor.
What is the process if I am a transfer student? expanding section

We value the previous experiences of transfer students and will work with you directly to review possible transfer credits, discuss your plans in psychology, and support your goals as a new UWL student. Since Psychology is a popular major, we also recognize the challenge in registering for courses depending on the timing of your application and acceptance, and provide guidance on creating a course schedule that works for you. If you are thinking of declaring Psychology as your major at UWL, please complete the required steps for transfer majors available from the College of Liberal Studies. Depending on your progress in our degree requirements, you might start working with our Psychology Advising Center for a short time, or be assigned directly to a faculty advisor in the Psychology Department. Feel free to contact the Department Chair or Psychology Advising Center if you have any questions prior to transferring. 

What is the meaning of the program milestones? expanding section

The milestones were created to help students understand the psychology program more fully.

Milestone 1 = Complete online "new major" tutorial, have earned fewer than 75 credits, and complete a face-to-face meeting with a member of the Psychology Advising Team in the Psychology Advising Center. If a student has earned 75+ credits and wishes to declare psychology as a first major, the student must also receive approval from the department chair by articulating a compelling reason why a major in psychology is necessary for the student's goals. (This milestone must be met prior to enrolling in the required course, PSY 210 – Developmental Psychology.)

Milestone 2 = Earn a "C" or better in PSY 100 & STAT 145 (formerly MTH 145); complete ENG 110 and CST 110; have a combined GPA of at least 2.25 for these four courses; and, complete a minimum of 30 credits. (This milestone must be met before enrolling in PSY 331 –Experimental/Research Methods. The Research Methods course is a prerequisite for several other psychology courses.)What is Psych Faire? Over 600 undergraduates major in psychology and the department wants to insure that all majors have access to quality advising.

What is Advising Week? expanding section

Each semester the department will set aside a full week for advising appointments several weeks before registration begins in WINGS. All Psychology majors will receive an email from their designated advisor in WINGS to schedule a brief appointment to help with course selection. All Psychology majors with less than 90 credits will have an advising hold that prevents registration. Attending an advising appointment will remove the hold. Students are expected to complete a course planning worksheet to bring with them to their advising appointments. If your schedule doesn't overlap with your advisor that week, you are welcome to find another day prior to your registration time in WINGS.

Who is my advisor? expanding section

Access WINGS to find your advisor. Generally speaking, after you have cleared Milestone #2, you will be assigned permanently to a full-time psychology faculty member. Why should I care? You and your advisor are the primary individuals who will be able to access your academic progress on WINGS. It is best if you see him/her regularly; however, you may see ANY faculty member for advice. Indeed, as your career plans become clearer you may wish to chose someone whose interests are closer to yours.

What kinds of questions should I ask of my advisor? Your psychology advisor will be best for answering questions about course sequencing, course content, careers and graduate school.

The College Office? In addition to faculty advisors, the College of Liberal Studies provides academic advisor services. Tim Walls is housed in Morris Hall, his number is 785-6634 as is assigned to psychology majors. All students near graduation should see Tim for a degree audit.

What is the Psychology Honors Program? expanding section

The Honors Program is a nine-credit, multi-semester sequence that starts Spring semester designed to give qualified students the opportunity to design and conduct independent psychological research under the supervision of a faculty adviser. Traditionally, students complete the program in three semesters, the first semester in the Spring of their third year (i.e., junior year) and the remaining two semesters during their last year (e.g., senior year). The Honors Seminar (PSY 489) is only offered in the Spring, and the application for the Honors Program is due at the time of Fall registration.

The program starts annually in the Spring. The Online Application deadline is November 13th (or closest Monday if it falls on a weekend) and includes:

  • An online application: The application includes two uploads--an unofficial transcript and a one-page essay describing why you wish to be an honors student.
  • Recommendations from two UWL faculty members, one of whom must be a psychology instructor. After securing the instructor's consent to provide a recommendation, cut and paste this URL into an email to that instructor's email address:

The Honors Program has two tracks--one for all eligible psychology majors (Honors), and one for psychology McNair Scholars (McHonors). Requirements for admission to the program:

  • Junior standing (60 credits or above)
  • Completion of PSY 100, 331, MTH 145 before beginning PSY 489: Honors Seminar
  • PSY 420 before PSY 489 or concurrently with PSY 489
  • a 3.25 grade point average in the psychology major
  • a cumulative overall grade point average of 3.00
  • acceptance into the program

Requirements for earning a degree with Honors in Psychology are:

  • Completion of psychology major 3.50* cumulative grade point average in psychology courses
  • A cumulative overall grade point average of 3.25*
  • Completion of Honors Seminar (PSY 489, three credits total) AND completion and presentation of Honors Project (PSY 482, three credits, of which at least one must be completed in the candidate's last semester)
    • OR successful completion of a McNair** project associated with at least 1 credit of PSY 481 or 482 associated with a project with a psychologically-related topic.

*GPA calculations are based on the last term prior to the term of graduation.

**McNair Scholar psychology students must be accepted into the McNair Program prior to applying to psychology honors, preferably during the same semester they are applying to honors. It is recommended that students who are eligible for McNair apply to McNair after completing PSY 331 or concurrently with enrollment in PSY 331.

Commencement Information Regarding Psych Honors

1. There are no cords associated with Psychology Honors - but you are listed both as a regular graduate and in a separate part of the printed program under departmental honors.

2. There are "honor" cords provided by the university on commencement day for students by GPA. You must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.50 to wear the honor cord (silver) or at least 3.75 to wear the highest honor cord (gold) and your name is starred in the program.

3. Those of you who are Psi Chi members can order a cord/medallion/sash (one/two or all three) through the local chapter.

Health Profession Tracks and Psychology? (Occupational Therapy; Physical Therapy, pre-Med, etc.) expanding section

Many psychology majors are interested in careers in the health professions such as physical therapy (PT) and/or occupational therapy (OT). Students interested in the health professionals are well served by declaring themselves as a "pre" student in their area of interest. The "pre" courses do not qualify as a major or minor. The "pre" courses prepare students for the admission requirements of most graduate programs associated with each specific field.

Exploring Health Profession Careers (UWL)

Pre OT Track & Psychology advising website 

DUAL DEGREE - PSY & OT:  This program is i the process of being suspended.  Psychology majors interested in Occupational Therapy  should complete a BS in psychology and the pre-OT track and then apply to Occupational Therapy graduate programs (UWL has an OT graduate program as do other universities). Questions regarding the graduate program in OT should be directed to the Health Professions Department.