Due to COVID-19, our physical office is closed. However, all classes will be held online and instructors and staff are working remotely. We recommend email or Canvas to reach instructors and email or phone for departmental business.

Visit the University's COVID-19 Response page

Questions about my faculty advisor expanding section

Q: How do I know who my faculty advisor is?

A: You can check to see who you've been assigned as your faculty advisor through WINGS. Alternatively, you can stop by the department and ask the program assistant. 

Q: When am I supposed to meet with my faculty advisor?

A: You should meet with your faculty advisor before you register for courses each semester. Although you have access to your Academic Requirements (AR) report through WINGS, you should still see your advisor each semester to make sure you meet prerequisites and take courses in the proper sequence.

Questions about transferring courses to UW-La Crosse expanding section

Q: If I'm transferring from another university with some general education courses, will these satisfy some of my general education requirements at UW-La Crosse?

A: You should make an appointment with the department chair and bring a copy of the syllabus from the other university. If the course is similar to the one taught at UWL, the general education course from another university can usually be transferred. You can also check out the UW Transfer Information System to get a good idea of how courses will transfer. 

Q: If I'm transferring with a sociology or criminal justice course from another university, will this course satisfy the Department requirement at UW-La Crosse?

A: You should make an appointment with the department chair and bring a copy of the syllabus from the other university. If the course is similar to the one taught in the department at UWL, the course from another university can usually be transferred as the equivalent SOC course.

Questions about declaring a major in Sociology expanding section

Q: How do I go about declaring a major in Sociology? 

A: In order to declare a sociology major, you must complete a major declaration form in the College of Liberal Studies Office. Students declaring sociology as a major should take SOC 110 as soon as possible, since it is a pre-requisite for most of the other sociology major requirements. Once you have declared, you will also be able to register for some classes that are restricted to majors only.

Questions about minors in Sociology and Criminal Justice expanding section

Q: How do I declare a minor in SOC or CJ?

A: In order to declare a minor in these programs, you need to go to College of Liberal Studies Office and complete a "change of program" form. There are no minimum requirements for declaring a minor in these programs. See the following links for more information on declaring a minor in sociology or criminal justice.

Questions about registration/overrides for classes expanding section

Q: What if the class I want is filled? Can I get an override?

A: If there is a wait list in WINGS for the class, follow the instructions in WINGS to add your name to the wait list. Each instructor in the department handles overrides differently. Some instructors keep waiting lists, others give preference to majors and/or seniors, while others ask you to come the first day of class. Your best bet is to contact the instructor of the course directly to determine the appropriate method for obtaining an override.

Q: How do I register for classes that require permission?

A: Some courses, such as SOC 409, SOC 410, or SOC 450 require instructor consent and you cannot register for those courses online. If you are interested in a course that requires permission, you can pick up forms and instructions in the department office or talk to a faculty member about the process.

Questions about internships expanding section

Q: Can I earn department credits while doing an internship?

A: Yes. The requirements for obtaining an internship for credit are that you must be a junior with at least a 2.50 overall GPA. All internship courses in the department are pass/fail grading. SOC 450 is repeatable for up to 15 credits, but only 6 count toward a sociology major and 3 toward a minor. SOC 200 is a pre-requisite for SOC 450. SOC 451 is open to Criminal Justice minors as a 3 credit course. SOC 324 is a prerequisite for SOC 451.

Q: How do I register for an Internship in Sociology or Criminal Justice?

A: Students who are interested in taking an internship are encouraged to discuss internship possibilities with their instructors, advisors, and seek out opportunities through the Office of Career Services.