Skip to main content

Accessibility menu

Skip to main content Skip to footer

Graduate student

A page within Admissions

Notice of transcript policy change

Effective for applications started after June 1, 2021 - If a student enrolled in fewer than 10 undergraduate semester credits at an institution, official transcripts are not required unless the courses completed are prerequisites for the graduate program to which the student is applying. Additional transcripts may be required at the university or graduate program's discretion. All graduate transcripts must be submitted.


Submit UW System App


Send Transcripts to Admissions



Receive invite to WINGS Student Center



Receive invite to applicant dashboard


Wait for program review


Receive a decision in the mail

If you have been admitted to the University as a graduate student, congratulations! We hope that you will find UW-La Crosse to be the perfect fit as you work to further your college education.  

Graduate admissions requirements at UWL are program specific. Please follow all admissions guidelines outlined by your program of interest


Graduate Admissions

Graduate admissions

Students seeking admission to graduate study must apply electronically by completing the UW System application.

In accordance with the Universities of Wisconsin policies, graduate students applying to a graduate degree program must submit an application fee. The application fee is non-refundable, does not apply to graduate tuition, and cannot be waived. If enrollment is delayed, the application fee can be applied to the next two consecutive terms including summer session.

It is the student's responsibility to make arrangements for official transcripts of previously established academic records (undergraduate and graduate) bearing the official seal of the institution(s) where course work was taken to be sent directly from the registrar of each institution to the UW-La Crosse Admissions Office. UW-La Crosse accepts transcripts sent directly from the issuing institution(s) or through an electronic secure document sending service. Application fees and transcripts can be sent to:

Graduate Admissions Office
1725 State Street
La Crosse, WI 54601

Admission consideration to graduate study will be given to students who meet the following requirements:

  • A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
  • An overall undergraduate grade point average of at least 2.85 on a 4.00 scale, an average of at least 3.00 in the last half of all undergraduate work, or an average of at least 3.00 for no less than 12 semester credits of graduate study at another accredited graduate school. Some programs have higher grade point average admission requirements.
  • Departmental or school/college admission to enter the graduate program. Many graduate programs require additional supplemental application materials. Please refer to the website of the specific program for details.
  • Satisfactory scores in all tests required by the program, department, or college. Please refer to the program website for test requirements.

For more information, including a list of graduate program websites, please visit the Office of University Graduate Studies. For questions about admission to the university, contact the Admissions Office.

McNair Scholars - Request an application fee waiver. Download, complete, and send the completed form to the Admissions Office

*Current UWL undergraduate students and alumni: Admissions can access your UWL transcript, so you do not need to request a formal copy to be sent.

Application steps

How do I apply to a graduate program at UWL?

Are you unsure how to get started with a graduate application? Walk through the process by answering the questions below. 

Please note that all programs have slightly different requirements. We encourage you to review the requirements for your specific program in addition to viewing these steps. 

First, did you complete the UW System Application? 

Conditional admission

Students may be conditionally admitted to a graduate program while they are in the process of completing their undergraduate degree. Final admission is contingent upon maintaining their cumulative grade point average and submission of an official final college transcript from the college they are attending showing the conferment of their degree. The final official transcript is due 15 days after the degree is posted.

International student admission

International applicants seeking graduate admission to UWL should follow the instructions below.

Application: Complete the UW System online application for graduate study and pay the graduate application fee.

Academic records: Official copies of academic records from all post-secondary institutions attended are required, even if the program was not completed. Documents issued in languages other than English must be accompanied by literal English translations.

  • Course-by-Course Evaluations: The Admissions Office reserves the right to request an official WES or ECE course-by-course evaluation for any education taken outside of the United States. Submission of a WES or ECE evaluation may speed up the decision process in some cases.
    • The Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant Studies, and Occupational Therapy programs require a WES or ECE evaluation to be submitted as part of the application process.

Proof of English language proficiency: Applicants for graduate study who are not native speakers of English must meet one of the following for admission:

  • Official TOEFL score of at least 79 iBT or 550 pBT - Institution Code: 1914.1
  • Official IELTS score of at least 6.0
  • Duolingo English Test (DET) score of at least 110 
  • 60 PTE score 
  • A bachelor’s or higher degree from UWL or another approved institution where English is the sole language of instruction may also fulfill this requirement.
    • Degree must be earned within two years of expected enrollment at UWL.
    • Applicant must have attended the institution for a minimum of two years.

 TOEFL and IELTS scores cannot be more than two years old.

Program specific requirements: Many graduate programs require additional application materials. Applicant should contact the graduate program directly about additional requirements.

Proof of funding: Bank statement and signed affidavit of support.  Funding must be equal or greater than International Education & Engagement’s estimated costs for one year (two semesters) of graduate study. Students who require F-2 visas for dependents (spouse and/or children) must submit additional proof of funding and passport copies for each dependent.

Passport copy: Submit a photocopy of the biographical data in the applicant's passport. If the applicant is admitted to a program, this will ensure that immigration documents are issued accurately.

Application materials can be sent to:

Admissions Office
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
1725 State Street, 2342 Student Union
La Crosse, WI 54601

For more information on international student admissions, visit the Admissions Office.

Graduate students admitted with academic course deficiencies

Students with course deficiencies, who have been provisionally admitted to a graduate program, may be classified with the appropriate special student designation and, at such time as the deficiencies are removed, may be admitted to the graduate program with the appropriate graduate classification. Such students would be exempt from the "12 credits as a special student" restriction policy statement.

Admission on probation

Students may be admitted on probation if they do not meet the minimum academic or graduate program admission requirements. Upon completion of nine graduate credits or two terms (whichever comes first) with a grade point average of 3.00 or above, the student will be removed from probation. Students admitted on probation will be dismissed from graduate study if their cumulative GPA is below 3.00 after completing nine graduate credits or two terms (whichever comes first).

Special non-degree graduate students

Students with a bachelor's degree seeking to enroll in graduate courses for which they are qualified but not wishing to pursue a graduate degree may be admitted with special non-degree graduate student status. Special non-degree graduate students either may receive academic credit for courses successfully completed or may choose to audit. Auditors usually are not responsible for attendance or exams and therefore do not receive academic credit or grades for completed courses.

To apply for special non-degree graduate admission, complete the appropriate UW System application. Application fees and transcripts are not required. Students admitted as special non-degree graduate students register for classes after graduate degree seeking students and are not eligible for financial aid.

If special non-degree graduate students seek admission to a degree program at a later date, they must complete and submit a new application as a degree-seeking student. They may be considered for admission provided they have maintained a "B" average in graduate work and have met all other program requirements. No more than 12 credits earned as a special non-degree graduate student may be applied toward a degree program at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. Further, deans and/or program directors/coordinators may accept or reject credit taken as a graduate special non-degree student.


Graduate re-entry

If students voluntarily interrupt university enrollment for one semester or longer (excluding summer) while in good academic standing, re-entry status may be granted by submitting an application to the Admissions Office. Applications should be made as early as possible but not later than one month prior to the beginning of the planned term of re-enrollment. Applications will be accepted until the enrollment limits have been reached.