Protocol review process
ANY USE OF VERTEBRATE ANIMALS MUST BE REVIEWED AND APPROVED BY THE IACUC BEFORE A PROJECT IS INITIATED.
- Use this form for all animal use proposals and three-year renewals.
- Fill out all of the questions on this form completely.
- Attach the appropriate appendices.
Protocols involving biological / chemical / radioactivity / recombinant DNA
- Refer to the Hazardous Agents Policy and the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) guidelines.
- Approval for animal protocols involving hazardous biological or chemical substances, radioactive, or recombinant DNA will NOT be extended until the IACUC receives approval from the IBC.
All protocol submissions must be pre-reviewed by the IACUC Administrator and the Veterinarian to prevent delays during the full committee review process. This should be done two to four weeks prior to the protocol submission deadline.
- Submit the completed, pre-reviewed forms electronically in Microsoft Word format to IACUC@uwlax.edu prior to the first business day of the Month for review at the next IACUC meeting.
- The committee meets the second week of the month.
The IACUC Administrator will withhold final approval of your protocol until the following two requirements have been met:
- All research personnel working with animals must submit a Risk Assessment Form.
- All research personnel working with animals must complete all required training.
- The protocol will be reviewed on an annual basis for two years.
- At the end of the third approval year, the protocol will expire and will need to be resubmitted to IACUC for approval consideration.
Changes in methods, number of animals, or personnel
- Any changes to an approved protocol require the submission of a protocol modification form.
- Changes may not be implemented prior to IACUC review and approval.