Students in the College of Business Administration must complete the college core requirements. (36 credits of the common core)

Information Systems Major Requirements



Who is my advisor?

You can find out who your advisor is by logging onto WINGS.

Where is the IS department located on campus?

We're on the second floor of the Wing Technology Center. The Department Office is in 240 Wing.

Where can I find the course requirements for the IS major?

Use the Program link at the bottom of this page. This will take you to the IS section of the online undergraduate catalog.

What are the critical benchmarks in the IS program?

First, students should be accepted into the CBA by the end of the sophomore year. Second, two writing emphasis courses must be completed, one at the 200 level or above, and one at the 300 level or above. Third, at least 40 credits must be earned at the 300/400 level to graduate. Fourth, a credit check should be completed with Becky Vianden in the CBA before the first semester of the senior year to be sure students are on track to graduate.

What are the requirements for admission to the College of Business Administration?

Follow this link to the CBA admission requirements in the catalog. Your advisor should help you plan to meet the requirements in a timely manner. Appointments can also be made with Becky Vianden in the CBA office to complete a credit check. By completing a credit check, students can find out if they are on track for CBA admission.

When do I apply to the CBA?

You can apply to the CBA after completing ECO 110 & 120, ACC 221 & 222, and BUS 205 with a grade of C or better, and all but two of the remaining six pre-business core courses (BUS 230, I-S 220, ENG 110, MTH 175, MTH 145). Also see the CBA website for more information.

What are the requirements for completing an internship for credit?

To receive credit for an internship in the CBA, students must first complete all professional core courses except MGT 393 and MGT 449. For more information on internships check out the Career Services page.

What types of jobs do IS majors enter?

Computer programmer/analyst, end user consultant, software tester, Web designer/developer, database programmer, microcomputer specialist, network administrator, and others.

Where can I find information on transferring to or from UWL?

Check out the TIS page and the UWL admissions page. Information on filing a transfer credit appeal can be found on the UW system academic affairs page.