Credit by portfolio review
Current or prospective students wishing to receive Foundations course credit for previous work can participate in our Credit by Portfolio Review process. This applies to ART 162: Drawing Foundations, ART 164: Design Foundations, and ART 166: 3-D Foundations, and allocation of transfer and/or AP credits (for incoming students, transfer students, and students who have recently declared an Art Major).
- Incoming (accepted and enrolled) first-year and transfer students with a declared Major and/or Minor in the Department of Art
- Students with declared Major and/or Minor in the Department of Art
- Transfer students who have previously taken one or more studio classes equivalent to ART 162, 164, and 166
- Print and complete the Credit by Portfolio Review form.
- Bring the form to the Cashier's Office in 121 Graff Main Hall to pay $20 "Credit by Examination/Credit by Portfolio Review" fee. Staple your receipt to the form.
- Prepare your application file in consultation with a Department of Art faculty member. Your materials should include the following in Adobe PDF format:
a. A portfolio of 10-15 images. Image files should be formatted as JPEGS of maximum size of 100 MB. Please title your image files with your last name and sequence, for example: Smith_01.jpg, Smith _02.jpg). Images may include such items as:
- Observational drawing from life or still life
- Figurative or expressive portrait/self-portrait from life (any media)
- Works in 2-D or 3-D media that clearly express a concept beyond formal principles and technicalities (submit relevant work for the studio area you are seeking credit)
b. Statement of purpose: Please explain your experience in Studio Art and your reasons for requesting course credit, explicitly stating:
- Which course/courses you are requesting placement out of
- Whether you are requesting reallocation of transfer or AP credit or credit by examination
- Document should be 500 words maximum
c. Image list, numbered corresponding to submitted images including title, media, dimensions (H x W x D), and date. PDF format.
d. A letter of support by an art instructor inside or outside of the department emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading “Portfolio Review Committee.”
Any questions about the process should be directed to email@example.com. Please put the words “Portfolio Review Committee” in the subject heading of your email. Current students may consult with Department faculty about their application.