Student employee supervisors

Hiring a student employee

Once a decision has been made to hire a student worker, please forward the Student Employee Action Form, (SEAF) to to begin the hiring process.  

*For units hiring more than 10 student employees at a time, it is required that in addition to the SEAF form, you must provide this Excel document to HR for audit purposes.  

Student employment on-boarding

Checking the Status of Your Student Employee in Onboarding expanding section

Supervisors can log into the onboarding system to review the status of their student help. They can review each student’s check list to determine the status of the employment paperwork, the I-9 form, and the entry into HRS. 

  • Only the primary supervisor listed on the employee action form will be assigned to view a student’s progress. 
  • Onboarding link: 
  • After logging in, click “Reports” in top left and it will take you to the checklist completion report. Select “Student Employee New Hire Checklist” from the dropdown list at the top of the page. This should display a list of students assigned to you. A green checkmark indicates a completed task. If students were assigned more than 3 months ago, you may need to adjust the assigned date and click apply. 

Last modified: 01/02/2020

For Supervisors: The Student's Steps in Onboarding expanding section

An email will be sent to the student with electronic onboarding information.   

Forms to be completed via the electronic onboarding system include: 

  • Form I-9: in onboarding, the student will open a link to the electronic I-9 system to complete section 1 of the form I-9.  They will then need to provide Human Resources Human Resources with original forms of identification and the HR staff will complete section 2. Photocopies will not be accepted.  I-9 section 2 must be completed prior to the student starting work. 
  • Direct Deposit:  student will need an active bank routing and account number to complete this form.  No voided checks are needed. 
    If student does not have an active bank account or incorrect information is provided, they will be enrolled in the US Bank Focus pre-pay card.  Information will be emailed and sent to the student’s home address on file. 
  • W-4:  student will need to know if they are exempt from tax withholding or what they will claim for allowances to complete this form. 
  • Self-Identification Survey 
  • Miscellaneous acknowledgements  

Last modified: 01/02/2020

Hiring a student for Summer Help expanding section

If you are hiring a student for summer help, this will require a new form for notifying HR of the hire. Please complete the Employee Action Form and use the title of "SPEC ACT HELPER-LTE" and Code (94820).  The fringe rage is the lower fringe rate for this position.

Last modified: 08/29/2021

Employment eligibility expanding section

To be eligible for employment at UWL, a student must:

  1. be enrolled at UWL at least half-time (6 undergraduate credits; 4.5 graduate credits) during the academic year.
  2. be at least 18 years of age. Individuals 17 or younger must have a work permit on file with Human Resources.
  3. be able to provide documentation of eligibility to work in the United States. International students must have an unexpired "F" or "J" visa and are eligible only for on-campus UWL funded (Non Work-Study) employment.

Last modified: 03/03/2017

Onboarding process expanding section

When hiring a student, supervisors need to complete a Student Employee Action Form (EAF) and return it to Human Resources. 

If the student has never worked for UWL before, Human Resources will email the student instructions for completing online onboarding. The student employee will use online onboarding to complete new hire paperwork and register for a meeting with HR to complete the I-9 employment verification.

Employees will be responsible for presenting original documents that prove their identity and employment authorization for I-9 verification to Human Resources before their first day of employment.

Employee action form and new hire documents must be received by HR at least 5 business days prior to the beginning of employment. 

Last modified: 05/24/2018

Student appointment changes expanding section

Complete a Student Employee Action Form (EAF) and return to Human Resources for the following instances:

  • Per hour rate of pay changes
  • Supervisor/time approver change
  • Student is hired for an additional job in existing or new department
  • Promotion (working title change)
  • Funding change
  • Extend a job end date
  • End a student job

All changes in appointments must be submitted at least 5 business days prior to the start of the effective date of the change.

Per hour rate of pay changes will not be entered for past pay periods.

Last modified: 08/07/2018

Terminations expanding section

To terminate a student's employment or to remove a former student from your department's payroll, submit a Student Employee Action Form (EAF).

Last modified: 05/15/2017

HRS timekeeping expanding section

HRS is the timekeeping and payroll system for UWL. To punch "in" and "out" at work, student employees use the Web Clock which is accessed through the My UW portal.

Last modified: 11/05/2019

Time approval expanding section

Supervisors are responsible for assuring the accuracy of the student’s timesheet before approving it in HRS.

Supervisors are required to approve an employee's time no later than Monday at noon following the end of a pay period.

Any hours left unapproved will not be processed until the following pay period.

Refer to the detailed time approval instructions.

Last modified: 02/24/2021

Types of funding for student employment expanding section

Federal Work-Study: Federal Work-Study is a need-based aid program, funded by the government, that is awarded to students who have demonstrated financial need. Questions about Work-Study should be directed to the Financial Aid Office at (608) 785-8604.


UWL funded: UWL funded means the employee receives 100% of the earnings from the hiring department’s funding account.


Grant funded: When a student is being paid by an outside grant issued to a UWL faculty member, staff member or department, a UWL grant account needs to be set up by business services and the grant account number and funding string needs to be provided on the student EAF.

Last modified: 04/28/2017

Federal Work-Study award expanding section

Federal Work-Study is a need-based aid program, funded by the government, that is awarded to students who have demonstrated financial need. This program is available to citizens or permanent residents of the United States.

Financial Aid will assign an eligible student to a department within the University that has a need for the student help. Departments also have the option to request certain Work-Study eligible students to work in their department. Financial Aid monitors the Work-Study balance throughout the semester. A balance report is emailed to supervisors biweekly. After the report is sent, it is the supervisor’s responsibility to ensure the student does not run out of award money. If a student’s award balance comes down to $500, a warning email will be sent directly to the supervisor it affects. If a student continues to work after the Work-Study award is depleted, the department will be responsible for funding the student pay.

Questions about Work-Study should be directed to Financial Aid.

Last modified: 05/01/2017

Student employee expectations expanding section

Work expectations and confidentiality

  • Student employee supervisors are encouraged to discuss work expectations and confidentiality with employees. Supervisors can use the below form or edit it to reflect their department's expectations and needs.
  • This form should be kept in the student personnel file within the department.
  • Student employee expectations form 

Last modified: 05/15/2017