Actively Serving & Student Veterans Abroad

Some of you may have traveled quite extensively, while others may have not. Either way, studying abroad gives you the opportunity to explore another culture and/or language in an academic setting. If you are eligible for Veteran’s Benefits, there are some things that you will need to consider before choosing an education abroad program. 

Other Financial Resources

Students who are eligible for Veteran’s Benefits may also be eligible for other forms of financial aid. Be sure to check with the Financial Aid Office to familiarize yourself with all of the possible financial resources available to you. Financial aid awards, in most cases, will apply to education abroad programs. 

Veteran Benefits and Studying Abroad

Although students can utilize Veteran’s Benefits (State and/or Federal) to help fund their study abroad program, please be aware that Veteran’s Benefits will not cover all of your study abroad expenses, and not all education abroad programs are eligible for VA benefits. It will all depend on a combination of the type of education abroad program, the type of VA benefits the student is receiving, and the academic requirements.

We highly recommend before applying to an education abroad program, students visit the UWL Veteran Services office to obtain information about specific benefits and how they will apply towards education abroad programs. UWL Veteran Services office is located in 116 Graff Main Hall.

To learn more about the education abroad process, we encourage you to attend an Education Abroad 101 session, attend our Education Abroad Fair, and/or to schedule an appointment with an Education Abroad Advisor. We are here for you!


Gilman-McCain Scholarship  - Available to child dependents of active duty service members to study or intern abroad on credit-bearing programs.