Things to Know about Financing Your Experience Abroad

  • With the exception of UWL and ISEP Exchange programs, where students pay UWL Resident Tuition, students pay host institution's tuition or a provider program fee for the term they are abroad. Students will be billed through their WINGS account, following the Cashier's deadlines for the correspondent term. However, there might be other fees that will need to be paid directly to host institutions or providers.
  • Several scholarships are available.
  • Most financial aid can be used for credit-bearing education abroad options endorsed by UWL, and every student is eligible for some type of financial aid- it depends on which type you are willing to accept.  
  • Don’t rule out need based aid - Many students who think they don't qualify for need based aid actually do! Even if you have not received financial aid in the past, you should consider applying for financial aid (FAFSA) for the year in which you plan to go abroad. 

Learn more about how to finance your experience abroad by checking out these helpful resources 

"Will I be able to use my financial aid?" 
The answer is most likely YES! Federal, state, and most institutional financial aid may be applied directly to the cost of your program as long as you are a degree-seeking student at UWL and the courses your are taking abroad will applied towards the credits required for graduation.

For general information about Financial Aid and your education abroad program, contact the Financial Aid Office.

Non-UWL Students

Only students who are degree candidates at UWL can receive financial aid from the UWL Financial Aid Office. If you are a participant from another institution, you must ask your home campus' financial aid office to transfer your aid to La Crosse for the term(s) of your program. A formal, signed document between the two financial aid offices, called a "consortium agreement," must be completed. Procedures vary, so meet with your financial aid advisor at your home institution for more information on the steps to take.

There are many scholarships available for students. Some are available through the UWL Foundation Office; others through national and private providers. Students are encouraged to research scholarships and apply early while adhering to the application deadlines as well as scholarship deadlines. Students receiving private scholarships should check with their scholarship providers if their private scholarships can be applied towards their study abroad program.

I-Engage Scholarship

Every semester International Education & Engagement allocates money to students who are greatly involved in educating others about their home country/culture or who wish to study abroad/away. The money for these scholarships comes from the Student Association and the UW System Fund. One of purposes of this scholarship is to help students develop intercultural understanding and communication through participating in education abroad/away programs, and campus and community events.
Scholarship Awards: Varies

View more information about the I-Engage Scholarship and apply HERE! 

UWL Foundation Scholarships

The UWL Foundation administers a large number of scholarships established over the years by alumni and special friends of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. Eligibility varies but all scholarships are applicable only to UWL students participating on UWL sponsored education abroad programs. Most applications for these scholarships are due by February 1st for programs taking place during the following academic year. 

Ruthann E. Benson Study Abroad Grant - Supports any full-time student in good academic standing who intends to study abroad for a semester or longer.

Lloyd Meiners Fund in International Education - Support students engaged in international educational exchange with significant academic achievement.

Max Winter Memorial Scholarship In International Education - Established by Ken and Lynn Winter in memorial of their son, Max who was attending UW-L and was a participant in the Wisconsin-in-Scotland program. The scholarship is awarded to an outstanding student participating in the Wisconsin-in-Scotland program.

Harry W. Gardiner Endowment Fund in International Education - Harry Gardiner, emeriti faculty from 1974-1999 in the psychology department, established this scholarship to recognize academic achievement by psychology majors participating in education abroad programs through the International Education Program.

Thomas & Barbara MacGillvray Scholarship - Available to students studying abroad that graduated from a Midwestern high school.

Sara Sullivan LGBT Scholarship - Established by the Pride Center and Rainbow Unity for students interested in education abroad who identify within the LGBT community.

The Lowe Family International Studies Scholarship in honor of Dr. Stephen Brokaw- for junior or senior marketing students admitted to the College of Business Administration. 

For more information about other scholarships available through the UWL Foundation Office, please visit the UWL Foundation Website.

Gilman Scholarship

The Gilman Scholarship Program is an undergraduate grant program for U.S. citizens attending two-year or four-year college or universities to enable those who are Federal Pell Grant eligible to study or intern abroad. This allows the student to gain a global perspective to better prepare them to assume significant roles in the increasingly global economy.

View more information about the Gilman Scholarship

Gilman-McCain Scholarship

The U.S. Department of State’s Gilman-McCain Scholarship provides awards for undergraduate child dependents of active duty service members to study or intern abroad on credit-bearing programs.

Boren Scholarship

Boren Scholarships, an initiative of the National Security Education Program, provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests, and underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. The countries of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are excluded.

Boren Scholars represent a vital pool of highly motivated individuals who wish to work in the federal national security arena. In exchange for funding, Boren Scholars commit to working in the federal government for at least one year after graduation.

View more information about the Boren Scholarship

Study Abroad Scholarship Search Engines and Databases has developed a comprehensive scholarship guide to help you find and choose scholarships that fit your needs.

Links to a number of scholarship and grants for education abroad are available on the FinAid website. Below are a variety of websites to assist in funding your education abroad program.

Country or Program Specific Scholarships

Abroad 101 Scholarships
Abroad101's scholarships combine the two things they love: global citizenship and social media savvy. Scholarships are earned by students who compose a thoughtful and well-written essay, acquire a significant amount of Facebook "Likes" from people who vote for their entry, and have the academic credentials to gain admission to the program.

American-Scandinavian Foundation (ASF) 
ASF offers fellowships (up to $23,000) and grants (up to $5,000) to individuals to pursue research or study in one or more Scandinavian country for up to one year. Over $300,000 was available for the 2013-14 competition. Awards are made in all fields.

Bridging Scholarships
Sponsored by the Association of Teachers of Japanese, Bridging Scholarships assists with travel and living expenses for education abroad in Japan.

British Council USA 
Funding and scholarship opportunities for students studying in the United Kingdom.

BUTEX North American Scholarships
Open to all undergraduate students currently registered at an institution in the USA or Canada.

To be eligible to apply, you must have been offered an education abroad or exchange place at a BUTEX affiliated UK university. Your education abroad or exchange placement must be for a minimum of one semester.  If you are not sure whether your host institution is BUTEX affiliated, check link to our list of members. The scholarship will be paid to the winners once they have arrived and registered at their host university.

CEA Scholarships
The CEA Scholarship program has been specially designed to meet the needs and qualifications for a wide range of students. CEA values the different backgrounds and experiences that a diverse student body brings to the education abroad experience, and we have a wide variety of scholarship options to provide funding to as many students as possible. UWL students who have applied and been accepted to a CEA program are eligible to apply to any of the scholarships offered by CEA. 

CIEE Scholarship
Students who have applied and been accepted to a CIEE program are eligible to apply for the following awards. The application is one simple click that automatically places you in consideration for every CIEE funding opportunity for which you are eligible. Apply today!

Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals (CBYX)
A yearlong fellowship to study and intern in Germany.  CBYX is open to applicants in all career fields, though preference is given to students in vocational, technical, engineering, business, agricultural, and scientific fields. Students traditionally underrepresented in education abroad opportunities are especially encouraged to apply.

Students will study for a semester at a German university or university of applied sciences, intern for 5 months with a German company in the participant's career field, and stay with a German host family. Airfare, health insurance and a monthly living expense stipend is included as well as local in-country support throughout the program. Prior German language knowledge is not required, though it is preferred. 

The German Academic Exchange Service offers undergraduate scholarships to highly qualified undergraduate students for semester, year or short-term study, university language or summer courses, senior thesis research and/or internships in the Federal Republic of Germany.

Fulbright Scholarships
The Fulbright Program provides grants for Graduate Students, Scholars and Professionals, Teachers and Administrators from the U.S. and other countries.

Full semester tuition, round trip flight and an accommodation stipend for a total of $15,000 available to a student studying abroad in New Zealand. 

Institute of International Education (IIE)
Administers programs for international students, scholars, and study abroad students, including the Fulbright program, NSEP, and Freeman-ASIA Program.

  • Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship for students who might otherwise not participate in study or intern abroad due to financial constraints. Awards up to $5,000 for U.S. students who are also receiving federal Pell Grant funding.
  • Chinese Ministry of Education is offering $10,000 scholarships through the China Scholarship Council, for American students to study at top universities in China.
  • Freeman-Asia Program  aims to increase the number of American undergraduates who study in East and Southeast Asia by providing students with information and financial assistance.

Inclusive Ireland Scholarship 2021

Education in Ireland is proud to partner with Diversity Abroad to offer the Inclusive Ireland Scholarship Program.

ISEP Scholarships
Students participating in the ISEP program are eligible to apply for several scholarships with ISEP.

LIVFund (Learn, Intern & Volunteer in Latin America)
The LIVFund Scholarship has been designed for anyone who wants to learn, intern or volunteer abroad in Latin America and is seeking financial assistance to offset program or living abroad expenses. For more information, please visit the LIVFund website or e-mail

Marshall Scholarship 
Awards up to forty scholarships each year to study within any field at the graduate or occasionally undergraduate level at a UK institution. Marshall Scholarships finance young Americans of high ability to study for a degree in the United Kingdom. They are funded by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and administered by the Marshall Aid Commemoration Commission (MACC) in the UK, for which the ACU provides the Secretariat.

National Science Foundation 
Promotes and advances scientific progress in the United States by competitively awarding grants and cooperative agreements for research and education in the sciences, mathematics, and engineering.

Boren Awards are available for students interested in long-term linguistic and cultural study in less commonly taught languages. Available for undergraduate and graduate students.

Rotary Foundation Grants
The Rotary Foundation offers grants that support a wide variety of projects, scholarships, and training that Rotarians are doing around the world. See if you qualify for their global and travel grants!

Truman Scholarship Foundation
The mission of the Truman Scholarship foundation is to find and recognize college juniors with exceptional leadership potential, who are committed to careers in government, the nonprofit or advocacy sectors, education or elsewhere in the public service; and to provide them with financial support for graduate study, leadership training, and fellowship with other students who are committed to making a difference through public service.

Turkish Coalition of America (TCA)
TCA offers the TCAdvance Scholarship program for Turkish American students. A wide range of scholarships are also available for American minority students wishing to study in Turkey and support TCA's mission to build bridges between the U.S. and Turkey.

A consortium of seven leading German Universities of Applied Sciences that promotes an innovative scholarship program SIP (Study & Internship in Germany). In cooperation with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), they grant prestigious SIP Scholarships for one academic year starting in the fall each year. The program consists of a full academic semester at one of the UAS7 universities in Germany and a 6-month internship with a German company or research institute.

Other Scholarships

Administrative Fees

UWL charges several administrative fees on all study abroad/away programs. These fees are billed to students' WINGS accounts in addition to their program expenses and need to be paid during the billing period in which the student studies abroad/away.  

Fees vary based on program type and length and cover all services related to the administration of international education at UWL.

Any withdrawal after students commit, for any reason, will result in them paying all non-recoverable and non-refundable costs, including the UWL administrative fees.

Please see the tables below to determine the additional administrative fees for each program.   

Direct Enroll* & Provider Programs (including API, CEA, ISA CIEE, UW - Platteville, University of Minnesota)1
Term Academic Year Fall/Spring Semester Summer Winter
Application Fee 50 50 50 50
Administrative Fee2 1000 1000 500 500
Emergency Fee 100 100 100 100
TOTAL 1150 1150 650 650 
*Note: International Health Insurance Required through CISI (UWL will enroll student) varies varies varies varies


Exchange Programs* (including ISEP, HESSEN, & National Student Exchange)1
Term Academic Year Fall/Spring Semester Summer Winter
Application Fee 50 50 50 50
Administrative Fee2 1500 1500 750 750
Emergency Fee 100 100 100 100
TOTAL 1650 1650 900 900
*Note: International Health Insurance Required through CISI (UWL will enroll student) varies varies varies varies


Virtual Programs1
Term Full-time Part-time Other Virtual Programs
Application Fee 50 50 50
Administrative Fee2 500 250 100
TOTAL 550 300 150


Faculty-Led Programs1
Term    ALL
Application Fee 50
Administrative Fee2                                          

300 OR 500 

Please see program page for exact amount

Emergency Fee 100
TOTAL 450 - 650
*Note: International Health Insurance through CISI Required (UWL will enroll student) varies


Field Studies & Department Sponsored Programs1
Term ALL
Application Fee   50                                          
Administrative Fee2 100
Emergency Fee 100
*Note International Health Insurance through CISI Required (UWL will enroll student)  varies 


Educators Abroad1
Term ALL
Application Fee 50
Administrative Fee 250
Emergency Fee 100
*Note International Health Insurance through CISI Required (UWL will enroll student)  varies 


Undergraduate Research & Internships (through UWL Faculty)1
Term ALL
Application Fee 50                                        
Emergency Fee 100
*Note International Health Insurance through CISI Required (UWL will enroll student) varies
Non-Credit Bearing Programs (Service-Learning, Volunteering) Fees1
Term ALL
Application Fee 50                                        
Emergency Fee 100
*Note International Health Insurance through CISI Required (UWL will enroll) varies

1The above fees are estimates and are subject to change. This summary does not include other standard and miscellaneous expenses not associated with Education Abroad, including but not limited to the $25 UWL Registration Fee, and the $2/credit D2L Fee.  Payment and billing will follow the standard procedures established by the Cashier's Office and can be found here.

Students who receive credit for education abroad at UWL are required to pay an administrative fee. This fee is in addition to program, tuition and other charges, and covers all services related to the administration of education abroad at UWL. The administrative fees are largely used to fund the work of International Education & Engagement at UWL, which includes, but is not limited to:

  • Advising students on an individual basis, as often as the students would like.
  • Evaluating potential programs for affiliation and monitoring currently affiliated programs.
  • Monitoring worldwide events and providing assistance during emergencies.
  • Developing and implementing a variety of educational programs, including information sessions, pre-departure orientation and other events, and special events for students who have returned from education abroad.
  • Working with UWL faculty and staff to develop faculty-led education abroad programs.
  • Producing informational materials on education abroad for students, faculty, and administrators.
  • Talking with parents/guardians about the education abroad process and related issues.
  • Registering students for their education abroad courses while they are abroad so that they remain enrolled and maintain their student status at UWL.
  • Working closely with faculty and administrators to clarify and streamline education abroad materials and policies.
  • Maintaining contact as needed with students abroad.
  • Facilitating the transfer of credit once students return to campus.
*You might be responsible for additional fees if you withdraw from your program after you have confirmed your participation. Please find more information on our withdrawal policy here.

With your program commitment, you are signing a contract with UWL to study abroad and to pay for the full cost of the program. 

After submitting your commitment, any subsequent withdrawal from the program, for any reason, will result in your paying all non-recoverable and non-refundable program costs associated with the program. Recoverable costs are those that UWL or vendors are able to refund to you.  

Generally, the closer to departure you withdraw, the less likely it is that the costs will be recoverable. International Education & Engagement will make every attempt to recover program charges to minimize the financial impact of the withdrawal. The full program fee is non-refundable once you depart and begin your program.  

Withdrawal Appeal 

Concerns or appeals with regard to fee payment, refunds, or other UWL Education Abroad program policies should be directed to the Director of UWL International Education & Engagement in writing.  A written decision will be issued back to the concerned or appealing person(s). 

Withdrawal Agreement 

Students who choose to withdraw their participation from an education abroad program must immediately notify the International Education & Engagement office in writing.  If students are receiving financial aid, they must consult the financial aid office for information about how withdrawing from this program might affect federal, state, or institutional financial aid. 

Education Abroad costs billed to the student's WINGS account at UWL include:

  • UWL Education Abroad Application Fee (non-refundable) ($50).
  • UWL Commitment Deposit (non-refundable) ($500).
  • IEE Administrative Fee (non-refundable) ($200-$1000-Depends on the type of program).
  • UWL Emergency fee required by UW-System ($100).
  • CISI Health Insurance (cost based upon program length).
  • If a faculty-led program, a course program fee (may or may not include airfare, room & board, in-country transportation, etc.)
  • If a faculty-led program or exchange program, standard UWL tuition fees.
  • If a program provider, most program costs are billed to the student’s UWL WINGS account. In most cases, UWL pays the provider directly. It's the student's responsibility to pay application fees, confirmation/commitment deposits, and possibly housing fees directly to the program provider.
  • If UWL cancels a program for safety reasons prior to departure or after commencement of the program, International Education & Engagement will make every effort to refund recoverable program costs to the participants. Unrecoverable program expenses cannot be refunded. Under these circumstances International Education & Engagement will make every effort to help students complete the academic work from the program. 

If UWL cancels a faculty led program due to low enrollment, your non-refundable commitment deposit will be refunded and you will not be responsible for any program costs.