University Staff Excellence Award
The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Staff Excellence Award is given annually to a member of the University Staff who has shown excellence in performance, personal interaction, initiative and creativity. The recipient has supported the University and its mission through positive interaction with the University and the community.
The University Staff Council presents this award in grateful recognition of outstanding service and dedication that exemplifies the desired qualities of the University Staff.
UW-La Crosse Annual University Staff Excellence Award guidelines
Recipients must be UWL university staff who have a minimum 75 percent appointment and have been employed for a minimum of 12 months. Immediate past recipients, project and temporary employees are not eligible. Previous nominees may be re-nominated.
University Staff is defined as follows: non-instructional support staff positions including administrative support, crafts workers and building trades, laborers, and service workers.
Nominees will be evaluated based on documentation of their outstanding achievements and contribution. The application should provide specific evidence of excellence, worthy of recognition. Particular attention will be paid to nominees which are not only outstanding in their roles as university employees, but also show evidence of other service to UWL and to the community.
The UWL University Staff Excellence Award selection will be undertaken by the USC (University Staff Council) Excellence Award Committee. The committee is a standing committee of the UWL university staff members serving a three year term. There shall be a minimum of three (3) and a maximum of seven (7) representatives from University Staff, including at least one USC member or adjunct council member to report and attend council meetings. It is recommended that there be a representative from each of the three employment categories: Administrative Support, Facilities & Maintenance, and Professional Services. If any committee member is nominated for the award, that person must recuse themselves from this committee.
The UW-La Crosse University Staff Excellence Award consists of one $800 honorarium and a UWL recognition plaque. The honorarium will be used for professional development and must be used by May 31st of the fiscal year the award is granted. The recipient may elect to share or advance the honorarium to whomever they wish, as long as it is used for professional development and/or travel.
The committee will notify the Budget Office of the recipient. The Budget Office will in turn set up a new account in the recipient's department, notify the recipient when the account is setup and transfer the funding into the new account for access by the recipient.
The recipient of the award will be recognized at a special event and the Chancellor's Fall Address held in August.
Who may nominate
Nominations may come from a college, department, or division unit. Nominations may also come from university staff, academic staff, administrators, faculty, students and self-nominations.
Nominations must be made to the chairperson of the University Staff Council Excellence Award Committee.
Nominations will start in January (spring semester) and end on April 1st.
The selection committee will review the nominations. The committee will present their choice to the USC by the June meeting for approval.
The recipient’s name must be to the Chancellor’s office by July 1st.
This statement should be an executive summary which highlights the contributions and the achievements of the nominee as described, including evidence of work above and beyond the nominee’s stated job responsibilities and requirements. Evidence of University or community involvement should also be included.
Nomination materials should address the following criteria, as they will be considered by the campus committee in the review of all nominations.
- Excellence of performance: performance that consistently and substantially exceeds in quality the expectations for the position; performance that has set superior standards of excellence and efficiency in relation to the mission of the departmental unit and the university, and has resulted in important and significant contributions to his or her department and institution.
- Personal interaction: performance that consistently and substantially demonstrates ability and willingness to work positively and effectively with others; performance that demonstrates ability and willingness to manage changes in work priorities, procedures, and organization.
- Initiative and creativity: performance that consistently and substantially demonstrates an innovative approach to the job, thereby improving productivity and the quality of the work assigned; performance that demonstrates efforts to improve personal job performance.
- Support of the university and its mission through positive interaction with the university and the community.
- Resources for tips on writing strong nominations:
Letters of support
Letters may come from students, peers, colleagues, administrators, supervisors, alumni, or community members who have first-hand knowledge of the nominee's performance. The letters should describe the specific outstanding contributions that make the nominee deserving of this award (the committee suggests a limit of four letters of support). If including letters of support, they need to be submitted with the nomination form. Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission of nomination
Nomination forms along with any letters of support shall be submitted ONLINE all together as one packet and consist of the following information:
- Name of nominee
- Position title of nominee
- Length of service to the university appointment percentage (75% minimum)
Nominating individual’s information required for consideration:
- Nominating individual’s name
- Nominating individual’s email address
Approved December 2017