Terms & conditions
All students must electronically sign the Terms and Conditions of Financial Responsibility.
Terms and Conditions of Financial Responsibility
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Educational Services Credit Agreement
By checking “Agree”, I have read and agree to the Terms and Conditions of Financial Responsibility on the WINGS registration page, I am entering into this Agreement which will become effective on the date captured by my electronic signature.
I would like to enroll in and attend classes at the University of Wisconsin – La Crosse (UWL).
In order to attend classes at UWL and remain registered for classes, UWL requires that I pay, in full, the amount of any fees, tuition, housing and meal plan costs, and other miscellaneous charges incurred in connection with my attendance at UWL, on the dates indicated by UWL for each semester (each such due date, a “Fee Due Date”)
I agree to use my WINGS account to obtain the most accurate and current information regarding any amounts owed and Fee Due Dates, to check that account monthly, and to read the on-line published fee information located at the Cashier’s Office website (http://www.uwlax.edu/cashiers) each semester for additional date and payment information.
Although all amounts owed are payable on the relevant Fee Due Date indicated for such amounts in WINGS, UWL recognizes that students, including myself, may not make such payments in full on the relevant Fee Due Dates for each semester. At its discretion and if certain requirements are met, UWL will extend credit to me to allow me to pay certain past due amounts pursuant to an installment payment plan as detailed below (the “Installment Payment Plan”). Fees, tuition, room, and meal plan costs are eligible for placement on the Installment Payment Plan.
The Installment Payment Plan will allow me to make payments in two installments later in the semester. All amounts owed must be paid in full prior to registration for any future term. A 1.50% finance charge will be assessed on unpaid amounts placed on the Installment Payment Plan. However, interest or other finance charges will not be assessed on any amounts placed on the Installment Payment Plan unless and until any such installment payment becomes past due.
I am being asked to sign this Agreement now so that, in the event that I am unable to pay the entire balance of fees, tuition, housing and meal plans and other miscellaneous charges incurred in connection with my attendance at UWL, by the Fee Due Date for any fall, winter, spring or summer semester, UWL will place any eligible amounts on an Installment Payment Plan.
The consequences of failure to pay amounts owed by the relevant Fee Due Dates are outlined in the provisions below.
Terms of Agreement
In consideration of the extension of credit to me, from time to time, by the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System, on behalf of UWLa Crosse, I hereby acknowledge and agree as follows:
1. Installment Payment Plan. I agree that UWL may, at its discretion, extend credit to me and place me on an Installment Payment Plan for any fall, winter, spring or summer semester during which I have failed to pay certain eligible outstanding amounts by the Fee Due Date for such semester, as detailed below:
(i) A finance charge of 1.50% will be billed monthly based on the unpaid balance. The balance is computed by subtracting payments received from the previous balance and adding any charges made from the previous balance. Billing reminders are e-mailed to students at the official university e-mail address. Students have 30 days from the date of the statement to make payment in full and avoid any finance charges. Any balances after the due date are considered an extension of credit and pursuant to the Installment Payment Plan.
(ii) Any amounts due and unpaid by any Fee Due Date will accrue interest as indicated in section 2(ii) from such date. (Amounts will not accrue interest unless and until a payment is missed.)
(iii) UWL has the right to deny credit for future semesters without further notice to me.
2. Finance Charges & Amounts Owed. I agree to pay:
(i) The amount of any and all fees, tuition, housing, and meal plan charges, and any other charges related to UWL’s provision of educational services to me, assessed by UWL and charged to my WINGS account.
(ii) Interest on any unpaid amount of any and all fees, tuition, housing, and meal plan charges and other charges related to UWL’s provision of education services to me, from the Fee Due Date of each such amount (as indicated in WINGS), until such amount shall be paid in full, at a rate of 18% per year (1.50% per month); provided, however, that interest will not accrue on any amounts until the due dates indicated in WINGS.
(iii) Any other late charges (“Late Charges”) and collection costs (“Collection Costs”) that may become due as provided in this Agreement.
3. WINGS & Published Fees. I agree to use “WINGS” account to obtain the most accurate and current information regarding any amounts owed and Fee Due Dates, to check that account monthly, and to read the on-line published fee fact information sheet located on the Cashier’s Office/Accounts Receivable website http://www.uwlac.edu/Cashiers each semester for additional payment date information.
4. Course Cancellation and Registration. I understand that my failure to pay any amounts assessed by UWL, when due may result in my registration for courses being cancelled without further advance notice, and that registration and enrollment for future semesters may not be permitted unless my account balance is current.
5. Restriction of Records. I hereby authorize the UWL Registrar to restrict the use of my records to prevent my registration and to withhold my transcripts in the event that I fail to timely comply with the payment obligations of this Agreement.
6. Student Services. In the event that I fail to timely comply with the payment obligation of this agreement. I understand that my access to student services may be suspended until such payment obligations are satisfied. Student services include use of a campus ID card, access to a student e-mail account and access to campus facilities.
7. Financial Aid. I understand that if I receive any type of federal financial aid (including Stafford loans and/or PLUS loans) and then withdraw from UWL or reduce my credit load, my financial aid eligibility may be re-calculated. A percentage of the aid I received may be considered unearned and may have to be returned to the funding source and I will be billed for that amount and any outstanding educational benefit overpayment.
8. Term of Agreement. This agreement is effective as of the date signed below and will continue to be in effect throughout my time of study at UWL.
9. Changes to Contact Information. I agree to inform the school of any change in my name, address, telephone number, or Social Security number in a timely manner.
10. Waiver of Notices, etc. I hereby expressly and severally waive by myself as the debtor, demand of payment, presentment for payment, notice of dishonor, notice of non-payment, and all other notices except those required by law, and I further agree that this agreement is controlled by the holding of Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System v. Mussallem 94 Wis.2d 657, 289 N.W. 2d 801 (1980), and that UWL may, without notice to myself as the debtor, and without affecting the liability of myself as the debtor, renew and/or extend this agreement, accept partial payment thereon, or settle or compromise the amount due or owing.
11. Release of Information. I am hereby being given notice and give my consent, as may be required by law, (i) to allow UWL, at its option, to report favorable and unfavorable credit information pertaining to myself (i.e., credit ratings, etc.) to credit bureaus and other non-campus third parties and, (ii) in the conduct of its credit granting and collection activities, to release my Social Security Number to non-campus third parties.
12. Collection Costs & Late Fees. In the event that I fail to timely comply with the payment obligations detailed in this Agreement, I further agree to pay all costs of collection incurred by UWL, including, but not limited to, collection agency fees, credit bureau fees, legal filing fees, service of process fees, publication fees, witness fees, reasonable attorney fees and recording fees and to pay any late fees assessed by UWL. Collection costs, at a rate of 35%, will be assessed on any past due balance and will be added to my account balance 30 days after my last term of attendance. I also understand that UWL may certify my past due balance to the Wisconsin Department of Revenue and make a claim for the total due against refunds, overpayments, lottery payments, or vendor payments owed me
by the Department of Revenue or Department of Administration.
13. Marital Property Act. In order to comply with the provisions of the Wisconsin Marital Property Act, I understand that it is necessary for me to complete and return the Marital Property Act Form to the Cashier's Office so that notice of the extension of credit can be provided to my spouse. https://www.uwlax.edu/cashiers/tuition-and-billing/wisconsin-marital-property-act-credit-application-form/
By electronically signing this agreement, I hereby confirm that I have read and understand the terms of this Agreement and I will be able to register for classes at UWL.
E-Signature of Applicant/Debtor Date