UWL is proud to participate in the UW System Collaborative Language programin order to offer Japanese.
Japanese program offerings
- Two-year course of study fulfilling the College of Liberal Studies language requirements for BA degrees
- Japanese 101 (fall semesters)
- Japanese 102 (spring semesters)
- Japanese 201 (fall semesters)
- Japanese 202 (spring semesters)
- Opportunities to study abroad
- Opportunities to teach English in Japan through the Guy Healy Program
Those who have studied Japanese before need to take a placement test for placement into to appropriate course. Please email the Japanese instructor at email@example.com.
Why learn Japanese
- Japan has the 2nd-largest economy in the world
- Japan's population is almost one-half that of the US, but they live in an area smaller than California
- Japanese innovations are everywhere (such as Pokemon and Nintendo)
- Japanese traditional, modern, and pop cultures are world-renowned
- A large portion of Japan's history was spent in isolation, allowing them to develop an incredibly unique culture
- Learning Japanese helps improve your ability to problem solve and other brain functions (check out these benefits of being a bilingual)
- European languages are typically the first choice as second languages for speakers of English, so learning Japanese sets you apart from everyone else
- Not convinced? Check out more reasons to study Japanese!