A page within It Make$ Cents!

Better Content

  • 2021–22 Academic Year
    • FAFSA® forms must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Central time (CT) on June 30, 2022. Any corrections or updates must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. CT on Sept. 10, 2022.
  • 2022–23 Academic Year
    • Opens October 1, 2021
    • FAFSA® forms must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Central time (CT) on June 30, 2023. Any corrections or updates must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. CT on Sept. 10, 2023.
  • The first step in applying for financial aid is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at studentaid.gov. Be sure to include UWL’s school code (003919) on the FAFSA. Once UWL receives the FAFSA, the Financial Aid Office will send the student an e-mail as to whether our office may need additional documentation.
  • For most types of federal student loans, you have 6 months after graduation before you must begin making payments. This gives you time to save money and select a repayment plan.
  • To view all of your federal loans, interest rates and the current holder of the loan and the contact information for that servicer, log in to https://studentaid.gov/
  • The UWL Foundation Scholarships are the best way to get scholarships as a UWL student. The Scholarship Resource Center is also a great resource for finding additional scholarships. Fill out their Get Scholarific Survey to be matched with hand-picked scholarships fitting your unique characteristics, or schedule a consultation for essay writing and scholarship research help!
  • We recommend making a resume from scratch rather than pasting info into an online template. Although the peer mentors at IMC! would be happy to review your resume, the folks at the Career Services Center are best suited to help you begin the resume making process.
  • The first step is tracking your expenses. Keep track of 1-2 months worth of income & expenses, separating them into categories such as food, entertainment, utilities, transportation, etc. Once you have done that, check out our budgeting tools at https://www.uwlax.edu/it-makes-cents/online-tools/#tab-budgeting. Feel free to schedule a consultation with a peer mentor to help with formulating your budget!
  • Considering the risks inherent in investing, we recommend that students prioritize paying off student loans first. If you would still like to invest, check out the “investing” tab on our website.


  • Any financial questions you may have! Whether you are looking to start a budget, get into investing, pay off your student loans, get a credit card, or even just chat with someone you can trust, our peer mentors are happy to help with any issue that may arise. Odds are if it involves money, we can help. Schedule a free consultation at https://itmakescents.setmore.com/
  • The average cost of attendance, including room and board, food, and tuition, for an on-campus Wisconsin resident is about $16,000. Check out https://www.uwlax.edu/cost/ for more information.
  • Getting a credit card is a relatively simple process. Before you accept the first offer that you come across, it’s smart to look at all of your options and compare cards online. NerdWallet offers this service for free on their website. The UW Credit Union and most other financial institutions also offer credit cards.
  • Due to the size and convenience of La Crosse, a car is not necessary for most students who are living on campus. If you decide that a vehicle is necessary, the following resources will help you prepare to purchase a car during your time in college.
    • Buying a Used Car covers using online research, the Buyers Guide, a vehicle history report, and an independent inspection to be sure you know what you’re getting before you buy.
    • Spotting Deceptive Car Ads warns that some car ads promise low payments, no interest, or zero down – but might come with a catch. Researching a dealer’s reputation before visiting the dealership can help you steer clear of problems.
    • Financing a Car encourages you to shop for financing before shopping for a car, and bring your best offer with you to the dealer.
    • Understanding Car Add-ons talks about price-hiking products that dealers may offer after you’ve negotiated a car price and arranged financing.