Thinking about returning to UWL?

Apply as a "Re-Entry" student if you left UWL in good academic standing. Review the "Re-entry" section below for more information.

Apply as a "Re-Admission" student if you left UWL due to ineligible academic standing and have been gone for more than a semester. If you have not been gone for a semester, contact your college dean's office to discuss re-admission. Review the "Readmission" section below for more information.

The residency information below applies to both re-entry and re-admission students.

Re-entry expanding section

If you voluntarily interrupted your university work while in good academic standing, you may be granted re-entry status by submitting an application to the Records and Registration Office if the re-entry enrollment target has not been reached already. Due to enrollment limits, it is possible not all students who apply for re-entry will be accepted. It is advantageous to apply early in order to be approved to register as soon as possible. If you have been out of school voluntarily for a year or more, or involuntarily for any amount of time, you will be subject to the requirements of the catalog in effect upon your return. If you have been gone voluntarily for one semester, you remain under your "old" catalog. Students granted reentry status who were on scholastic probation or other conditional status, at the time of last attendance at UWL, retain such status as a condition of re-entry.

If you have attended another institution(s) after leaving UWL, have official transcripts of your academic record(s) mailed directly from the issuing institutions(s) to the UWL Records and Registration Office at the time that you apply for re-entry. Transcripts that are marked "Issued to Student" or that are hand delivered by a student will be accepted as long as they remain sealed in the original envelope. You will also need to submit an official high school transcript if you have earned less than 60 college-level semester credits. 

Eligibility for re-entry is based upon previous work at this university and any others you attended since attending UWL. You must be eligible to return to the institution last attended. Re-entry transfers must meet the same GPA requirements for admission as other transfer students.


Re-admission expanding section

If you desire readmission after having been declared ineligible to continue for scholastic or other reasons, you must apply to the dean of the UWL school or college in which you were last enrolled. Students declared ineligible to continue must follow catalog requirements in effect at the time of readmission. It is advantageous to apply for readmission early in order to facilitate registration in a timely manner. The appropriate dean will apprise the Records and Registration Office of the students eligible for readmission. During times of controlled or limited enrollment, preference will be given to students re-entering in good standing.

Residency regulations expanding section

If you have been a bona fide resident of Wisconsin for one full year prior to the beginning of the term of your enrollment, you may qualify for resident fee status.  Also, if you have been continuously employed full‑time by a business located in this state, and you were relocated to Wisconsin for business purposes and accepted your current employment before applying for admission to UW‑La Crosse, you, your spouse and your dependents may be exempt from the payment of nonresident fees provided the member of your family making application demonstrates an intent to establish and maintain a permanent home in Wisconsin.  

Intent to become a bona fide resident may be demonstrated or disproved by factors including, but not limited to, filing of Wisconsin income tax returns, eligibility to vote in Wisconsin, motor vehicle registration in Wisconsin, possession of a Wisconsin operator's license, employment in the state and self‑support.  A person who enters and remains in the state principally to obtain an education is considered to reside outside the state for tuition purposes. 

If you think you may qualify for resident status, complete a non‑resident tuition appeals form, available in the Financial Aid office, 215 Graff Main Hall. Minnesota residents must be approved for reciprocity in order to pay Minnesota fees. It is the student's responsibility to ensure approval has been granted.

More information on residency regulations