Nonacademic misconduct


The missions of the University of Wisconsin System and its institutions can be realized only if the University’s teaching, learning, research, and service activities occur in living and learning environments that are safe and free from violence, harassment, fraud, theft, disruption, and intimidation.  In promoting such environments, the University has a responsibility to address student nonacademic misconduct; this responsibility is separate from and independent of any civil or criminal action resulting from a student’s conduct.  The University of Wisconsin La Crosse is committed to respecting students’ constitutional rights.  Nothing in this chapter is intended to restrict students’ constitutional rights, including rights of freedom of speech or to peaceably assemble with others. 

Information for students

What is nonacademic misconduct? expanding section

Nonacademic misconduct are issues that stem from incidents outside of academic work.  This misconduct could occur on or off university lands. 

What are examples of nonacademic misconduct? expanding section

Examples of nonacademic misconduct include, but are not limited to: 

  • dangerous conduct 
  • sexual assault 
  • stalking 
  • harassment 
  • hazing 
  • illegal use, possession, manufacture, or distribution of alcohol or controlled substances 
  • unauthorized use of or damage to property 
  • disruption of university-authorized activities 
  • forgery or falsification 
  • misuse of computing resources 
  • false statement or refusal to comply regarding a university matter 
  • violation of criminal law 
  • serious and repeated violations of municipal law 
  • violation of UWS Ch. 18 
  • violation of university rules 
  • noncompliance with disciplinary sanctions 
  • dating violence 
  • domestic violence 
  • sexual harassment 
How can I avoid nonacademic misconduct? expanding section

There are many ways you can avoid nonacademic misconduct.  Some ways include: 

  • Review and familiarize yourself with UWS Chapter 17.09. 
  • Review and familiarize yourself with UWS Chapter 18. 
  • If you live on campus, review and familiarize yourself with UWL’s housing policies and procedures. 
  • Abide by all federal, state, and local laws. 
  • The best way to avoid nonacademic misconduct is to familiarize yourself with the various policies and procedures which students are held accountable. 
What happens if I engage in nonacademic misconduct? expanding section

If your violation occurred within the residence halls, more than likely you will receive an email from your Hall Director or Assistant Hall Director. 

If your violation occurred outside of the residence halls, you will receive an email from the Office of Student Life.  You will be asked to contact the Student Life Office to schedule a meeting.  If you need an accommodation to participate in the meeting, please make us aware of that when scheduling your appointment. 

Regardless where your violation occurred, carefully read the allegations in your letter.  Please note that these allegations represent the University’s concerns based only on the information provided to our office.  You have not been found responsible and you will have an opportunity to respond to the allegations during your initial meeting.  The meeting is your opportunity to respond to the allegations and to provide the investigative officer with your account of what transpired.  

Based on the information provided in your meeting, one of following outcomes is likely:  

  1. The information shared at your first meeting may result in a resolution in which the investigating officer has determined that no disciplinary sanction is warranted.   
  2. If the investigating officer has determined that nonacademic misconduct has occurred, the investigating officer will prepare a written report which will contain the following: a description of the alleged misconduct; a description of all information available to the university regarding the alleged misconduct; specification of the sanction(s) sought; notice of the respondent’s right to a hearing; and a copy of UWS Ch. 17 and/or the institutional policy and procedure which was violated. 
What if I need accommodations? expanding section

Any student with a documented disability (e.g. ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Acquired Brain Injury, PTSD, Physical, Sensory, Psychological, or Learning Disability) who needs to arrange accommodations for their meeting, must be registered with the ACCESS Center.  In addition to registering with The ACCESS Center, it is the student's responsibility to discuss their needs with the Student Life Office prior to their meeting so that all efforts can be made to ensure accommodations are met.

You can find out more about services available to students with disabilities at The ACCESS Center website.

What should I do if I know about nonacademic misconduct? expanding section

If you believe that someone is violating a policy or procedure, please contact your RA if you live on campus, your Hall Director or Assistant Hall Director, University Police, or the Student Life Office.    

If you are reporting a Title IX related misconduct, please know that you may speak to any of our confidential resources.