The Theatre Arts curriculum allows concentrations in six distinct areas of study (listed below). Students can choose to major in one theatre emphasis area while minoring in another, thus enhancing their educational opportunities and professional marketability.
- General Theatre Studies
- Design/Technical (scenic, lighting, sound, costume, etc.)
- Music Theatre
- Stage Management
- Arts Administration
For more information about curriculum requirements and descriptions, visit the links below:
- Program Overview
- Theatre Major Course Requirements
- Theatre Minor Course Requirements
- Theatre Course Descriptions
- UW-La Crosse Degree Requirements
- UW-La Crosse General Education Requirements
THA 260/360 Requirements
THA 260/360 courses are required of all theatre majors each semester beginning the first semester of their freshman year (THA 260) and every semester thereafter (THA 360). Theatre minors are required to complete a minimum of 3 credits in THA 360 taken over at least two productions. THA 360 is not required during the semester a theatre major is completing a capstone project (THA 490).THA 260/360 courses enable students to get credit for hands-on experience working in the theatre. Students may get THA 260/360 credit in a variety of theatre areas including:
- Scenic, costume/make-up, sound or lighting
- Scene shop, costume shop, or light shop, technical direction
- Stage manager or assistant stage manager
- Running crews (light/sound board, props, costume, etc.)
- House manager, box office assistant, publicity, lobby display, dramaturgy, etc.
- Other specific assignments for a particular production.
Assignments will be made and posted on the call boards by the end of the first week of classes each semester. Students will have an opportunity to request specific assignments at the first Major/Minor meeting. Every effort will be made to grant student requests while still balancing each season and creating the broadest range of opportunity for each student. Students are responsible for checking the assignment sheet and meeting with the appropriate faculty member as assigned.
Course grades will be based on the criteria below. Failure to fulfill any of these responsibilities may result in failing grade.
- Meet with your supervisor within a week of the THA 260/360 assignments.
- Complete the course assignment to the satisfaction of your immediate supervisor.
- Attend all Major/Minor meetings each semester.
- Attend all Theatre Arts productions (including children’s show)
- Attend all Theatre Arts Department production strikes.
- Participate in end of the year student evaluations.
- Performance/Music Theatre students must audition for each department production.
- Design/Technical/General Studies/Management students must audition for at least one production each academic year.