How do I declare or change a major?

  • Paperwork required to declare a major (and minor) is available in the College offices and the Microbiology Department Office (3002 Cowley Hall).

 How do I find who my advisor is?

  • Check the bottom of the right hand column on your WINGS student center page

 How often will I meet with my advisor?

  • You are required to meet with your advisor once a semester prior to registration to go over your plan for courses for the next semester (the department places a hold on your registration that your advisor will remove after you two meet)
  • You can make an appointment with your advisor when you have questions about the curriculum and other related activities like getting involved in undergraduate research
  • Additionally you can see your advisor if you are struggling with classwork or college in general.  They can help guide you to helpful resources you may have been unaware exist on campus

 How can I prepare for our meetings?

  • For the meeting prior to registration look over your advisement report in WINGS and/or the list of major requirements in the catalog at to determine the courses you need. Sketch out a plan for the upcoming semester(s).  Make up a list of questions you have about any of the courses, their proper scheduling order, or any other concerns or issues you may have.
  • For other meetings come in with either prepared questions or a clear idea of the outcome you are trying to achieve.  The better you can communicate what you need from your advisor, the better they will be able to help you or steer you to the appropriate resources

 What if I’m struggling academically?

  • If it is a specific class or two, meet with your instructor.  They may be able to help you pinpoint where you are having difficulties.  They can also point you to tutors or other material specific resources that are available.
  • Make an appointment with the Counseling & Testing Center. They can provide counseling in personal and academic skills like note taking, studying and test taking. 
  • Talk to your advisor.  They can help you determine a plan of action and what available resources you can use.  The important thing is to talk to someone early, when it is easier to turn it around.

 What types of activities and experiences are available in addition to formal coursework?

  • Talk to your advisor about how to get involved in undergraduate research.  Consider engaging in undergraduate research early during your time at UWL – we don’t require you to take a lot of microbiology classes before you can do research.
  • Talk to Career Services (or attend one of their information sessions) to learn about internships

 How do I apply to graduate?

  • First you need to confirm your eligibility

When: Immediately after you register for your final semester

How: Make an appointment for a credit check Carla Burkhardt in the SAH Dean’s Office, 105 Graff Main Hall

  • Declare your intent to graduate

When: Immediately after you register for your final semester (don’t delay or your name won’t make the commencement program for your family to see)

How: Use your WINGS account to declare your intent to graduate


Useful Links

  • Counseling & Testing Center – provides confidential counseling services: both personal counseling and academic skill-building and ADHD assessments
  • Murphy Learning Center provides free tutoring services for a number of courses
  • Academic Advising Center – explore different majors and careers
  • Career Services – Can help you gain internship experience, explore and apply to graduate and professional schools, learn job searching strategies, get help to create and perfect your resume, cover letter and interviewing skills
  • ACCESS Center – Coordinates academic accommodations with students and instructors for students with disabilities; Provides a testing location for students with assistive technology, extended time, and/or reduced distraction accommodations based on individual needs; Works with students to coordinate access to other campus resources (housing, dining, etc.) and offer guidance to students.