Creative Services provides graphic design for all UW-La Crosse departments as well as the UWL Alumni Association and UWL Foundation.
|Florence Aliesch Profile of Florence Aliesch|
|Sanja Dojcinovic Profile of Sanja Dojcinovic|
Creative Services coordinates design of:
- overall visual and graphic identity of UWL
- all recruitment materials
- various electronic and printed collateral:
- digital signage
- postcards and invitations
- newsletters (interactive PDFs and printed)
- Web graphics
- the Lantern alumni magazine
- major components of the university's communications effort
Creative Services also serves as a clearinghouse for publications with an off-campus audience, ensuring consistent, quality publications.
orgs contact University
Centers' Graphic Design.
Things to consider before you start a project:
1. Schedule a meeting with Creative Services
115 Graff Main Hall
785.8575 or 785.8499
Come prepared to discuss the following:
- purpose of the design
- intended audience
- which platforms will this design be distributed (print, web, digital display, social media)
- copy, art and photo needs
By the close of the meeting we will have established:
- a feasible production schedule
- ideas for gathering and writing copy
- design ideas
- photo needs
2. Complete copy
Campus clients should provide copy via email or flashdrive. Copy should be saved as Microsoft Word text or as a text file. Submit a hard copy printout of copy as well. Creative Services follows the UWL Style Guide and the Associated Press Stylebook. The UWL Style Guide contains style elements specific to the university and should be consulted as a first reference.
3. Design process
Preliminary design considerations will be discussed at the initial meeting with Creative Services. As copy is being completed, other design elements will fall into place. Primary responsibility for the "look" of a publication rests with Creative Services to ensure consistency, readability and quality. Client suggestions on design will be taken into consideration.
Clients will be given PDF proofs to check. Positioning of photos and artwork will be shown on all proofs. Creative Services will provide up to two proofs and a final file for each project.
4. Proof final copy
Clients are expected to inspect their proof very carefully to ensure that all elements are in place and accurate. Creative Services will provide up to two proofs and a final file for each project. Continual changes to artwork are time consuming and inhibit meeting deadlines.
It is the responsibility of the client to:
- check for factual accuracy (pay special attention to headlines, subheads and photo captions)
- verify the proper spelling of all names, titles and middle initials
- double-check dates, facts and figures
- make sure the correct contact information and web address are included
- check spelling
- assist in checking for university style
- assist in correcting spelling and grammatical errors
- double-check all copy has been proofread against original copy or changes marked on the previous proof
- read all articles word for word to ensure continuity
- make sure more than one person reviews the final proof