Skip to main content

Accessibility menu

Skip to main content Skip to footer


A page within Veteran Services

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).


What financial assistance is available for UW-La Crosse students without military benefits?

Degree-seeking students attending UW-La Crosse may be eligible for scholarships and financial aid, including loans and work-study jobs, to help pay for tuition, books, and living expenses. 

For information on these opportunities, please contact Vernell Glenn in the Financial Aid Office.

How do I determine my eligibility for military tuition benefits?

You can also contact your local County Veterans Services Office and they can assist you with applying for both state and federal benefits.  Or you can apply for Federal Benefits online. Eligibility is determined by the VA Regional Processing Office in St. Louis. 

Tip: Do NOT fill out a paper application. The VA takes much longer to process paper application forms than online applications!

I have just applied to receive my GI Bill® benefits for the first time. When will I receive my first payment?

The VA always pays in arrears. This means they pay for the month that you went to school, not for the month you are going. If a semester starts near the end of the month, when you get paid at the beginning of the next month, it will only be for the days you attended the previous month.

What can I do to ensure that I get paid on time?

A certification request is required each semester. After your request is submitted to UWL Veteran Services, it is submitted to the VA. This process takes anywhere from 5-7 weeks (sometimes longer).

Tip: Fill out your certification request when you register for classes. We will not certify you without receiving it.

Post 9/11 pays my tuition, when do I get my financial aid refund?

Typically, financial aid won't be refunded until we receive your payment from the VA. 

Is it possible to get my refund at the beginning of the semester?

If you need your financial aid refund at the beginning of the semester, direct your request to Mindy Braun in the Business Services Office.

  • Ask for your aid to be refunded to you.
  • A current Certificate of Eligibility (shows current eligibility percentage and remaining months of benefits) is needed.  Please submit the form to our office.
I get the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, will it pay for study abroad?

There are restrictions on what can be paid for and how much can be covered.  If study abroad is required for your degree,  more costs can be covered--but never transportation, housing, or meal costs.

If you are planning to study abroad, please visit the Veterans Services office to find out what costs can be covered by your benefit

I get the Wisconsin GI Bill, will it cover study abroad?

Sometimes. Find out from the study abroad office if the program is considered an exchange program.  If it is then we will be able to waive the instructional portion of the class. If it is not an exchange program, the Wisconsin GI Bill can not be used.

2023-2024 Military Friendly Badge