ITS encourages safe, virus free, computing. Without an antivirus software your computer can become severely infected. These infections can install programs, steal information, slow down, and limit your access to the internet and other aspects of your computer. ITS recommends that all computers have an antivirus installed before using the campus network. Please note, no antivirus software is fool-proof, even with antivirus software it is still possible for your computer to become infected.
- Faculty and staff computers are configured to use Cisco AMP virus protection software.
- UWL does not provide antivirus software for students or non-campus. However, there are options available:
- Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows PC, pre-loaded on Windows 8)
- Avast! Free (Windows PC)
- Avira Free Antivirus (Windows PC)
- AVG Free (Mac and Windows PC)
- ClamXav (Mac, also available on the Mac App Store)
- Antivirus software can also be purchased from retail stores
- Note: It is not safe to install two antivirus programs on your computer at the same time. This can interfere with all functions of your computer
Virus, spyware, and malware detection and removal tools