Skip to main content

Accessibility menu

Skip to main content Skip to footer

Frequently asked questions

A page within Financial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions

The first step in applying for financial aid is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at Be sure to include UWL’s school code (003919) on the FAFSA. Once UWL receives the FAFSA, the Financial Aid Office will send the student an e-mail as to whether our office may need additional documentation.

Yes, students must reapply each year. The FAFSA is available every October 1 for the upcoming year.

The priority date for applications for the fall semester is February 1. This is not a deadline since applications are accepted throughout the academic year. 

To find out more about receiving your financial aid refund, please go to; additional questions or concerns should be directed to the Cashier's Office.

Tutorial Video: Setting Up Your Refund Preference

Contact the UWL Financial Aid Office to inform them of these changes. If necessary, documentation will be requested and in some cases an adjustment to the student's financial aid offer can be made.

The student's financial aid does not transfer when they come to UWL, but as long as UWL's federal school code (003919) is added to the FAFSA, our office will determine the student's eligibility. Please note that the student's financial aid offer at UWL may vary from what they were offered at their prior institution.

The student's financial aid offer is based on their enrollment status. Half-time and 3/4-time students will have their aid reduced accordingly. All students must be at least half-time to be eligible for most types of financial aid.

Depending on the date of the student's withdrawal, all or a portion of the student's financial aid that was accepted and disbursed on behalf of the student may be returned to the financial aid programs.

There is the possibility of increased loan eligibility for students who decide to participate in an education abroad program. There is also a small need-based grant available to Wisconsin residents who qualify that will be offered by the Financial Aid Office. Please review the Education Abroad page for more information. 

In addition to completing the FAFSA, students must complete the Application for Financial Aid - Summer (for the appropriate year) and submit it to the UWL Financial Aid Office for consideration of summer financial aid. Direct Loan amounts borrowed in the summer may affect the student's loan eligibility for the upcoming academic year. Depending on the student's financial aid eligibility, they may qualify for a Federal Pell Grant.

They may. If it is necessary to reduce other financial aid as a result of a scholarship, assistantship, and/or a residence assistant (RA) position, financial aid would be reduced in the following order: loans, Federal Work-Study, and grants. Report any scholarships or other resources on the 2023-24 Scholarship & Other Resources Notification Form or report it using the WINGS Student Center online “Report Other Financial Aid” link.

Tutorial Video: How to Report Scholarships

Financial aid offers may need to be adjusted for students who receive some state military benefits, such as the WI G.I. Bill tuition remission and National Guard Tuition Reimbursement. If the student's financial aid offer has already been issued when the WI G.I. Bill or National Guard Tuition Reimbursement is added, the financial aid offer will need to be reassessed to reflect the new tuition resources. As a result, loans, grants and Federal Work-Study may need to be reduced. Financial aid reassessments may occur throughout the semester and are required by federal law whenever a student's financial need changes as a result of receiving additional loans, grants, remissions or other resources.

Report changes to the UWL Veteran Educational Benefit Coordinator. They will make any necessary changes and direct the student to any additional steps.

It is important to report changes as soon as possible to avoid any issues with the financial aid awarding process or the student's refund. 

Federal Direct Subsidized Loans are subsidized by the Federal government. The government is paying the interest on the loan while the student is enrolled in school at least half-time (six credits for undergraduate students, five credits for graduate students). 
Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans are not subsidized by the Federal government. As such, the student is responsible for the interest while enrolled. If the interest is not paid by the student during the period of enrollment, the interest will capitalize on the principal and the loan amount to be repaid will increase.